How far does your sunroof open?

Airplane MD

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta pkg 1
Maybe you guys can save me a trip to the dealer.

Could I get some measurements for the sunroof opening from folks? It finally was warm enough to open mine, here in PA and it did not open near as much as the 96 Passat. I get exactly 10 inches from the front of the glass to the rear edge of the forward trim.

Secondly, when open at highway speed, it sounds as though the space shuttle is taking off overhead. If I shut it down slightly things get much quieter.

Anyone out there care to comment?

jimzdat

TDI
14 Jetta TDI
I noticed that if I just turn the knob to the stop, it opens most of the way (probably close to what you are measuring)--and the wind noise picks up a little. If you turn the knob just that little bit further (thought it was gonna break at first), it will open the rest of the way; but you better have the rear windows open, or the "bass drum" effect will attempt to implode your head.

When I bought mine, I asked about the sunroof wind deflectors shown in DriverGear, but was told that they will not be out for the 06 model until later this year

scknight

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 6MT
It should open ALL the way, as in NO glass. To get it to open all the way, you need to turn the dial past the last 'notch', it will feel spring loaded, and the dial will return to the last notch when you let it go.:)

Airplane MD

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta pkg 1
Wow, you guys are fast. Thanks for the info! :)

Is that what I'm gonna need, a wind deflector? I'd really rather not. Sorta like the streamline look of the windshield to roof line. What are the options?

Last edited:

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
Also make sure you are using outside air thru the ventilation system( switch NOT set on RECIRCULATE). Increase the fan speed and it will blow air right up thru the sunroof so no air comes in. Mine has an air leak thru the driver's door. Check to se if your's does too. It comes in right at elbow level.
Air WILL come in with ithe SR opened all the way once you get above like 40mph however......will give you the "wooooompah" effect :)

Last edited:

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Sun/Moon Roof

Since you folks are on the topic, what does your sun roof (SR) look like when it is in the closed position? Mine isn't flush with the roofline when closed. The back of the SR is actually about 1/16th inch above the roofline and the front of the SR is slightly below the roofline. Is there an adjustment? Somewhere in VAG-Com perhaps?

All of Us
'06 Jetta TDI "Graycie" Pkg2 5spd

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Isn't there a wind deflector that pops up when you slide the glass back? Dad's 04 Passat has one... it's spring loaded, just pops up when the glass isnt holding it down.

-Jason

scknight

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 6MT
A little black wind screen that I would like to rip out.
That thing vibrates like hell at speed. (its not the air pressure 'buffetting' sound) and I can stop it if I put my hand on it with a little pressure. I assume everyone elses is the same way.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Sounds like the dealer gets to fix yours. The one in the Passat doesn't vibrate at all... the spring pushing it up is rather strong.

-Jason

Last edited:

dave333

Veteran Member
TDI
Did own... None right now!
Once again I'm totally impressesed with the TDI Club membership...

I just drove home with a FULLY OPEN SUNROOF. I never caught that in the manual, the salesdude never showed it to me but I found it HERE...

DavidG

Veteran Member
TDI
None now
dave333 said:
Once again I'm totally impressesed with the TDI Club membership...

I just drove home with a FULLY OPEN SUNROOF. I never caught that in the manual, the salesdude never showed it to me but I found it HERE...
Half of the "salesdude" don't know any specifics about the car. I ask some question to the sales man, and he either made up something or had on clue what the answerer was.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
What's funny about salesmen not knowing about this is that this particular feature is nothing new as the MkIV cars started with this feature in '02!

Airplane MD

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta pkg 1
:D Thanks all. Drove home last night (45 degrees) with the lid WIDE open. Noise wasn't as bad as I remember either. Been playing with the vent system and I can make some changes. Works pretty good overall.

Thanks again.