Kessy door touch stopped working

hawleyrw

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 White M6 w/Prem and Nav
I've got a 12 - just about 1300 miles on it. Today, I can no longer lock the doors from the outside using Kessy (touch the indent on the door).

the Key fob operates the locks normally
Hand around either handle still unlocks the doors.

Any ideas?

Cesar

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW Jetta Highline TDI
Sensor probably is faulty.... have you tried taking your keys out of your pocket and try to unlock?
Sometimes I have to do that to mine :s

GeekDrew

Veteran Member
TDI
None
You do have a key on you while you're touching the indent, right? And the door is closed? Is the handle wet? Recently added wax to it?

Last edited:

jetta rhody

TDI
Jetta MK VI
I had a similar problem. It could be a faulty antenna somewhere (door handles, rear bumper, etc). Does the MFD display "check keyless" when you get in the car?

My issue was the antenna in the rear bumper was bad. Took it to the dealer and they replaced it.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Thanks Geekdrew, I don't have Kessy but my Wifes' Camry acts like this when there is another set of keys inside the car.

Bill

hawleyrw

Veteran Member
TDI
no changes to the car (waxed a couple of weeks ago - touch lock has been working OK since, spare key is not near/in the car).
I went around the car and opened/closed each door and the trunk to ensure it wasn't a door showing not closed.
If I use the fob to lock/unlock remotely - locks/unlocks without a problem

I typically use the indent/touch to lock the car (such a cool feature! )- today was the first day since I got it where it hasn't worked - attempts made all day at different locations.

I'll try again tomorrow and let everyone know.

vtbigdog

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG
Remove the key cover on the drivers door. With the door closed and locked, insert the key and then twist the key to unlock the doors and hold it in that position until the windows go down. Then twist the key in the opposite direction to lock the door and hold it in that position until the windows go up. Remove the key, wait 30 seconds and then try touching the door handle to lock/unlock the door.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Thanks Geekdrew, I don't have Kessy but my Wifes' Camry acts like this when there is another set of keys inside the car.

Bill
This is how our '11 sedan w/ KESSY worked if the extra key was in the car. Took a couple tries to lock the doors with indent when an extra key was inside - kind of like me telling the car I know there is an extra key in the car and I still want it locked and the car replying, ok, you tried twice I warned you about the key but I will lock anyways.

I am not sure that the advice in the post above this one will work - except to either potentially scratch the car with the key or potentially lose the plastic cover if not put on right. It does sound like a faulty sensor to me and it wouldn't be the first time. Have you tried the indent on the passenger side?

hawleyrw

Veteran Member
TDI
OK - this morning, still wouldn't respond. Previously I had opened all the doors, trunk, etc. to see if it might be that. Nope.
Just for fun lowered all the windows and back up...

Now it's working....get that.

TDIx2

Veteran Member
Saginaw Mi ~ looking out for deer and dangerous pe
TDI
2014 Jetta
OK - this morning, still wouldn't respond. Previously I had opened all the doors, trunk, etc. to see if it might be that. Nope.
Just for fun lowered all the windows and back up...

Now it's working....get that.
Lowering the windows probley reset the window travel setting. My EOS loses the window travel setting and lowering the window all the way down seems to reset window travel up distance. This may be connected as Kessy will close your windows too.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Learn something new every day - glad that worked out.

@vtbigdog - thanks for the tip!

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
So, could this mean that the car won't lock via door handle touch..... IF it thinks all the windows are not all the way up?

Hawley, please lower one window an inch and see what happens when you try to lock it.

This is interesting! Do the Golf, the Jetta, the JSW and the Passat all react the same way??

Bill

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
The door will still lock when putting a finger on the ident with a window open. If you then leave your finger on the indent any window down will then close. I have a video of it.

So far 40X40 some KESSY seems different in the Jetta vs. Passat - at least the starting procedure is different between the two models.

hawleyrw

Veteran Member
TDI
to 40x40's response - I've tried several combinations of the windows being down, but I can always lock it now....go figure.

I'll have to try the holding finger on the indent to see if it puts the windows down. I hadn't read about or seen that yet.

hawleyrw

Veteran Member
TDI
Holy Crap - that worked. Windows down, press the indent to lock and hold there...all windows go up to closed. Never read about that anywhere.....jazzed.

pauls

TDI
NB, 99, black 2011 Jetta, white
I lock mine every day with windows down and sunroof open a few inches for ventilation so that isn't the problem specifically, could be related in some way. Saw this thread because I picked up the car from a shop the other day, door was unlocked, got in started normally drove away but the "check keyless" display was scrolling. Stopped the car, turned off the ignition, started, still the check keyless display. Took it to the dealer, shut off, got out, did not lock but when I got back in and started it the display was gone. Do not know what caused the display and don't know what fixed it. Dealer never heard of it and nothing in the manual about it. Other than the display everything seemed to work normally.

jetta rhody

TDI
Jetta MK VI
I lock mine every day with windows down and sunroof open a few inches for ventilation so that isn't the problem specifically, could be related in some way. Saw this thread because I picked up the car from a shop the other day, door was unlocked, got in started normally drove away but the "check keyless" display was scrolling. Stopped the car, turned off the ignition, started, still the check keyless display. Took it to the dealer, shut off, got out, did not lock but when I got back in and started it the display was gone. Do not know what caused the display and don't know what fixed it. Dealer never heard of it and nothing in the manual about it. Other than the display everything seemed to work normally.
I've had that display before. I took it to the dealer and they said it was a bad kessy antenna in the rear bumper. They had to take the rear bumper off to replace it. Haven't had problems since.

neezy

TDI
2011 TDI Candy White w/nav
That's great I wonder how expensive that will be once the warranty is out.....I feel like long term KESSY won't be as cool as a $600 bill to replace a bad antenna.

hawleyrw

Veteran Member
TDI
That's great I wonder how expensive that will be once the warranty is out.....I feel like long term KESSY won't be as cool as a $600 bill to replace a bad antenna.
again...the price we pay for automation.... :-/ I bought into it. :)

Cheers!

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Guys (and girls)

I tried the potential fix that you all mention above, but no luck. Yes, the windows go up/down w/ the turn of the key as they're supposed to but KESSY still doesn't work. Tried my 2nd key fob and same issue...it's as if the car isn't reading either of the fobs. It won't even ready any of the fobs INSIDE the vehicle to start it (I have to manually hold they key next t the steering column to start it).

I had this same issue about a year ago and VW replaced the system and reprogrammed it. I put about 60kmi on my car each year so it's well outside warranty at this point but do any of you have any other tricks up your sleeves that I can use to troubleshoot this issue? I have a really hard time believing that ALL six of the KESSY sensors around the car are bad.

Please advise.

flyerchic2000

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Nav Manual
Physicshogon

Did you try replacing the batteries in the FOBs? I'm sure you've already done that but you didn't mention it so just making sure that is ruled out.