Well, I placed my order!

Dwonderc

Veteran Member
Well, went ahead and did it- just mailed off deposit on '01 golf GLS TDI, 5spd, CWP, NO LUX, Monsoon- white / beige.

Total price $17,734.
They put in writing that they'll have it here the first week of July. We'll see.

Thanks for all the advice everybody- I'll keep ya posted.

------------------
Some people say there are no easy answers- They're not looking hard enough.

TDI eddie

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2004, Grey
We need more details!! How much off sticker, which dealer, how did you find them? You will love the car. If you looking for rubber floor mats (Husky Liners) after you get the car check out www.roadworksauto.com - $99 bucks to your door! (Shipping was free when I ordered them)

Vhunter

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 silver Jetta 5spd TDI
Hey, it looks like there are getting to be more TDI's in the corn husker state.

Maybe sometime we should have a mini-gtg and BS session after your car comes in!

Anyone up for it?

Drive ON!

------------------
99.5 Jetta TDI - Upsolute- ND Tbox- TT Exhaust- K&N filter- G60/VR-6 clutch combo

Dwonderc

Veteran Member
Heck, yea I'm up for it...

Ordered the car through Williamson in Lincoln- sticker on it was 18535- Got it for 17734.
I went about it a little differently- I went through a business called Keys to Success (www.nomorehaggles.com). Its run by a guy I know from high shcool, actually. Anyway, it works kind of like a buyers broker/ representative. For $300, he did everything for me- shopped dealers, negotiated price and purchase contract conditions (its in the contract that the car has to be here the first week of July or no deal). When we get closer he'll shop banks and financing for me. Great deal- for only $300 I never have to set foot in the dealership or talk to a salessnake. He did tell me that usually he can get a much better deal on any other car, but the TDI's are such a low volume vehicle that there wasn't much wiggle room, especially on an order. But he said he'll be able to make up the difference in the financing and save me some $$$.

He told me that Olsen's wouldn't budge from sticker, but Williamson was more than happy to compete with them.

Now I gotta wait-

A GTG locally would be great- although I wouldn't be able to help actually doing anything to the car- I have the mechanical ability of a cluster of color blind hedgehogs. In a bag.

------------------

schnabba

Veteran Member
TDI
golf GLS 2001 white
that's excellent on an order though!

I got mine down $450 by using edmunds fair market value and showing up at the dealer with a check in hand (financing through lendingtree.com).

I also picked a car they had on the lot, so there was some incentive to move it.

Way to go on getting a good deal on a custom order though! I wanted that color interior, but the $450 I saved was worth cleaning out the inside more often with the darker interior.

Dwonderc

Veteran Member
Like I said-- The service I used is fantastic--
Just sent him a check for the money and a list of what I wanted and when I had to have it. He called me back 2 days later and told me what he had swung. Pretty cool, I think- I didn't have to lift a finger. But then, I'm lazy.

Vhunter- There are more TDI's around Omaha-- I've seen them. At best Buy P/L about 1 month ago, I saw a 96-97ish Passat TDI wagon pulling out-- Just saw a brand new dark blue Jetta TDI driving E/B on maple at 120th st this morning-- Either of those you guys (TDI Eddie, Vhunter?)

------------------

Dave Searle

We bought our 2001 Golf through a broker and just showed up with the cheque, pretty nice..
But after I made the deal, I found I could have made the same deal through dealers "quick quotes". Many dealers have this function on their web sites and because they may have only one shot at you, the prices are very good. The only thing you have to be sure of is letting them know that you are only interested in the amount to write the cheque for, no PDI or shipping suprises.

Dwonderc

Veteran Member
That sounds like it would be OK too, never heard of it. I might be a little leery of trusting the dealer to honor the quick quote, though. Next thing you know, you go to pick up your car and get the old "I'm so sorry, there's been a terrible mistake, the price I quoted you doesn't include the etcetera that you wanted. But we have this other model right here....."

At least with a broker, they know they can't pull that crap because they would lose too much future business.

"I'm not paranoid, but everybody thinks I am"

[This message has been edited by Dwonderc (edited March 06, 2001).]

fatman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI (maual), 2010 Golf TDI Wagon (manual)
Another good way to buy, is to fax the dealers in your area (for me it was about 10 dealerships)asking for a qoute. I told them the type of car I wanted, what options and what color and interior I wanted. I just sat at home and received phone calls. You still get some of that salesman crap but I was able to find out if the car was available and even what the invoice price was for that car(one dealer had no problem telling me what it was). My only regret was that I never gave my local dealer the chance to counter offer the car that I finally bought(apparently he was will to meet or beat the price I eventually paid).

Dave Searle

FATMAN: That would be Valley Autohaus? Bought three new Sciroccos off them in the early eighties, different owner I think...
The same happened to me with the local Kelowna dealer, wouldn't give me a quote at first and I didn't go back, wound up at Cowell in Richmond..bit of a story there!

TDI eddie

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2004, Grey
Dwonderc, I have a red Jetta w/Texas plates, long story. I have to buy the expensive ones soon.

------------------
TDI Eddie 2001 Jetta GLS, Auto, Leather Package, Sunroof, Monsoon Sound, Panasonic CX-DP610 6 Disc Changer, 35% tint

Dwonderc

Veteran Member
Hey TDIEddie-

How does that Panasonic CD changer work with the monsoon? I was thinking of getting one of those - was it easy to install and such?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dwonderc (edited March 07, 2001).]

Dave Searle

I have a neighbor with a 2000 Jetta TDI who has a Panasonic CD changer and is very happy with it, except it skips a bit in very cold weather, we thought about getting one then decided that we didn't want to leave our expensive CD's in the car in 90 degree weather.

TDI eddie

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2004, Grey
It installs in 10 minutes and I have not had a problem w/it skipping. The mix function works and I haven't listened to the radio in a few months! The cds cost $ .21 each + napster = 19 tracks on a cd I can throw away if some thing happens to it. Check out these threads: http://forums.tdiclub.com/NonCGI/Forum22/HTML/000375.html
http://forums.tdiclub.com/NonCGI/Forum22/HTML/000409.html

------------------
TDI Eddie 2001 Jetta GLS, Auto, Leather Package, Sunroof, Monsoon Sound, Panasonic CX-DP610 6 Disc Changer, 35% tint

Dwonderc

Veteran Member
TDI Eddie-

Cool! I'm definitely going to look into that. BTW, I saw another TDI wednesday in the parking lot of Roosters at 117th and Blondo- a white A3 Jetta.

Whoever you are- are you on this forum??

------------------