Phase 1 (fixed) "New" 2015 Mileage thread

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Cost? Other info to help this really uninformed guy. Would be nice to have it "spot" on.

Thx:)
I ran my first ten tanks and compared the actual vs MFD to come up with ~8% difference. The value you adjust in VCDS changes from 100% to 108% (or whatever your calculated difference is). Mine is now consistently within +/- 1mpg every time.

lithgow

TDI
2010 Jetta DSG
So, is it fair to say upper 30's mpg for largely city driving.....and possibly way over 50 if mostly highway? I'm ready to purchase a 2015 Passat and wanted to just confirm....

2010golf

TDI
2010 golf 6spd manual RIP. 2015 golf 6spd manual
So, is it fair to say upper 30's mpg for largely city driving.....and possibly way over 50 if mostly highway? I'm ready to purchase a 2015 Passat and wanted to just confirm....

Everybody's driving is different. Expect a tad better than the 2010 in your sig. My "fixed" 2015 does 10% better than my stock 2010 both are 6m. A 2015 DSG may be a little more than 10 percent better than 2010 DSG on the highway because of the taller final gear in the 2015.

moorsb

TDI
2015 Passat
Idle RPM

I have a DSG auto transmission. I have noticed it idles at 1000 rpm. If i let my foot off the brake at a stop, the car will move forward. Is this normal? I am thinking I will burn out the clutch like this.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I have a DSG auto transmission. I have noticed it idles at 1000 rpm. If i let my foot off the brake at a stop, the car will move forward. Is this normal? I am thinking I will burn out the clutch like this.
Yes, that's normal. You're still in drive. You can put it in neutral if you want. Avoiding inching up while stopped is a good practice.

I saw a YouTube video where they monitored clutch pressures in the DSG with the VCDS program at a stop. The car still held a small amount of clutch pressure when stopped in Drive. When shifted to Neutral, the pressure is released to zero. I'm almost certain that the minimal pressure on the clutch(es) while stopped is not going to cause any significant long-term premature wear. I'm assuming the German engineers have worked out a margin of safety.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver

Mine idles at 800 RPM

But when it DOES hit 1,000 MINE is in a re-gen

Hope this helps

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
While we're on regens, I monitor mine with Scangauge II. So far, it's looking like they are occurring about every 250 miles in mostly highway driving and last about 10 minutes. EGR and DPF temps peg at 1200F during that time.

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
DEF consumption

I have read some speculation that the "fix" to the ea288 will increase def consumption. Just curious as I have just put a deposit down on a leftover myself. It will be my first experience with def. can anyone speak to the change in consumption rate of the def?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I have read some speculation that the "fix" to the ea288 will increase def consumption. Just curious as I have just put a deposit down on a leftover myself. It will be my first experience with def. can anyone speak to the change in consumption rate of the def?
I am approaching 40K miles service I do not have a Ad blue warning yet! Before this I always get a warning before the service....so mine is actually better!

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I have put every fillup of my new 2015 DSG GSW on Fuelly. Took my car on a little road trip over the weekend and got my best tank average yet of 47.8 and my rolling average is so far 43.4 thanks to my Wife not doing anything to help tank mileage for me... lol

I have a link in my signature to my Fuelly for Schmutz.

Airbus320

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I have put every fillup of my new 2015 DSG GSW on Fuelly. Took my car on a little road trip over the weekend and got my best tank average yet of 47.8 and my rolling average is so far 43.4 thanks to my Wife not doing anything to help tank mileage for me... lol

I have a link in my signature to my Fuelly for Schmutz.

Ha that's hilarious, just yesterday I was in off a red eye and woke up to my wife coming in the door from he routing that day and all I could think was she killed my mileage! She took the van though so my 56mpg stands!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for your post:)
No prob. I will defer to my Fuelly badge from here out. Check back in a week or so, as I am roadtripping (~1,200 mi r/t) to Montreal for the F1 Grand Prix this weekend. Will be interesting to see if things get even better.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I filled up for third time on Sunday,this was the first fill I did since a true top off. The car told me it was 50.4 since refuel,actual was 48.0mpg:D:D:D,44.9 overall avg so far. I'd say that was about 40% highway,rest was city/country driving. I'm sticking w/ Speedway diesel right now, not going to use the "Reservation" diesel for this car.....

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So far, my tanks were roughly 3.5 mpg optimistic on the display (2 out of 3). The second tank was about 1.5 mpg optimistic iirc. I list the MFD reading in my Fuelly notes. All fills were with Shell diesel (labeled 45 cetane), same station, same pump, until it clicked off. I don't top up with these new fangled filler necks. Using Stanadyne Performance.

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here is an AdBlue update. I have driven 2,000 miles since purchase on May 16th. Car was topped off with AdBlue at delivery (I verified this by trying to add additional DEF). I topped it off just now. I have used about two thirds of a half gallon KRUSE-bottle.

So my burn rate on AdBlue so far looks to be around 1/3 of a bottle (1/6 gallon) per 1,000 miles or 1.67 gallons per 10,000 miles.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I think I need to start noting the MFA tank average in my fuelly notes. just gotta remember to start my fuelly text message before I fill so that I still have the number on my MFA.

wanna adjust itm but think ill be needing that number to do so with my vcds after a few more tankfuls.

and I do still top of with clear fuel oozing out the misfuel adapter. Using powerservice in the silver bottle for lubricity.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I filled up for third time on Sunday,this was the first fill I did since a true top off. The car told me it was 50.4 since refuel,actual was 48.0mpg:D:D:D,44.9 overall avg so far.

I'd say that was about 40% highway,rest was city/country driving. I'm sticking w/ Speedway diesel right now, not going to use the "Reservation" diesel for this car.....
Off 4.7% (dash vs pencil) If it were me, I can live with 48 MPG. -- ( i. e. 40% highway:eek:

Question please : what is Reservation diesel? Bio-diesel? Thanks:)

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jerry, I think they build in a ~2 gallon reserve at 0 miles range on the instrument display. Case in point is that on both my first tanks I drove to ~0 miles range, still had half the red zone left on the needle, and refilled around 11.3 gallons on the 13.2 gallon tank in the GSW. Looks like VW is trying to get you to keep a couple of gallons in the tank to protect the pump.
.... and that is the main reason I mostly will not go for the 700 mile club.

.... thinking my car (with 13.2 gallon tank) is good for it. ~~ 700 (+) miles.

.... Just do not want to take a chance.

Scongiundi

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (6spd manual), 2015 Jetta TDI SE (6spd manual)
Here is an AdBlue update. I have driven 2,000 miles since purchase on May 16th. Car was topped off with AdBlue at delivery (I verified this by trying to add additional DEF). I topped it off just now. I have used about two thirds of a half gallon KRUSE-bottle.

So my burn rate on AdBlue so far looks to be around 1/3 of a bottle (1/6 gallon) per 1,000 miles or 1.67 gallons per 10,000 miles.
That's not much usage. I did a quick search on this forum to see what people were using prior to the fix, and it seems right in line. Very interesting.

logdrum

TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS; 2003 Jetta Wagon; 2006 Jetta
50.1 Hand Calculated from San Diego to Albuquerque 882 miles temps where in the 100 to 115 so AC was on, Speed Limit in these states is 75 but traffic flows at 80 to 85 and mountains high altitude 5K ft. Lie on meter said 51.4. Now over a week now in New Mexico going as high to Red River NM which is about 9K and Sandia Crest at 10,760 and the various Albuquerque and Santa Fe urban traffic and I am getting 46.2 combined. The car has yet to go over 2K miles. We have a hot spell in the state and AC is always on and usually 3+ persons in the car with some camping gear and a cooler. I really expected this thing to be below 40 mpg.