How strong is the 4.2tdi 350hp engine.

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
Hi, just wondered how strong and reliable the Audi 2010 and on 4.2tdi 350hp engine is?.
I am looking at a possible engine change on a vehicle and the two engines that come to mind are the Audi 3.0tdi 240hp like in the B8 or the 4.2tdi.

Nikpage

TDI
Hi! 4.2 tdi is very reliable and powerful! Even on stage 2 we go to the races and also in the city for a long time. I like it))

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Far less issues than with the 3.0 tdi however i would use the 3.0 tdi for power as it will rev higher (if necessary) and be more reliable in the long run + Bobby has already done a lot of tuning mods to it to highlight any weak spots ! Its also much more user friendly-simpler to tune 1 ecu compared with the v8 with master/slave ecu's and easier to slot into an engine bay !

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
I wouldn't discount the BMW 3.0d engine... Quite a lot of power can be extracted from it and being inline it might be easier to slot into a van !

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
I wouldn't discount the BMW 3.0d engine... Quite a lot of power can be extracted from it and being inline it might be easier to slot into a van !
Agreed they are great engine and we do have one in our E70 X5, however you would have to cut the bulkhead to get it in the van due to it being a straight 6.
The V6 is about half the length.