11mm injection pump trouble

Liter_o_Cola

TDI
01 ALH Golf
Installing an 11mm pump. The problem I’m having is from TDC, I can only turn the crank about 1/2 a turn to verify everything is timed correctly before starting. The car was healthy before I started the install and now I’m scared to start it. I’ve removed the glow plugs to eliminate the possibility of a compression issue. Checked the TDC in the cam and flywheel, both being perfect, the IP is also good, but not a contributing factor. Any ideas at this point would be greatly appreciated as I’ve exhausted all resources trying to solve the issue. I’ll even throw a $50 bounty on whoever can show me the way to alleviate the issue!! I need to get it running by tomorrow!

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Bit late I suppose, but I'd bet on the belt having skipped some teeth on the cam sprocket, a valve hitting a piston making for the clunk while trying to bar the engine over. Where in MN are you? I'd stop by and help out if you're somewhat near by.

Liter_o_Cola

TDI
01 ALH Golf
I’m north of the cities about 2 hours. Ended up taking it in to a shop, there was no timing mark on the flywheel... so they figured it out. Got everything lined up and she’s running now. Unfortunately I’m away for 2 weeks so I’ll be wondering what the 11mm brought to the table in the meantime. Appreciate the offer though!!

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Oh okay, I'm pretty regularly in the east bethel area, so not quite that far out.
You're north of brainerd or hinckley?

Lots of aftermarket flywheels don't have a timing mark, or one in the wrong location entirely, pretty easy to add one though, just need a piston stop and a center punch. Clunk it one way, make a mark, pull the stop out, move it to the other side of TDC, clunk it the other way, make another mark, pull the stop and then split the difference.
I use a few leaves of a feeler gauge through an intake port to hold a valve open for the piston stop. Not many other options on a diesel.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I had a vr6 years ago and the TDC mark on the crank pulley was wrong and we had to static time it thru the spark plug hole. Might be able to do it thru the glow plug hole? Then put a mark on the flywheel?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Just in case, you have TDC mark on accessory pulley...
nowhere near accurate enough for a Tbelt service
unless you're just flopping a new one on and hoping for the best, which I do to my own junk when I can, but a lot of the time that just can't be done, like when the cam pulley's been off.