What did you do to your car today?

KROUT

persona non grata
I finished painting one of the rear interior panels for my bug. They came out good. It was a real pain in the ars to get that plastic coating off but they look alot better. It took a long time to do.

Also changed out the fuel sender on the parts car I just draged back from atlanta. Also hung a good radiator on it to let it run for a while.

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
Got an estiminate on a FMIC kit for my NB today and you all will love the price. Way less than the others on the market, the final price will depend on what challenges are found when he fabs mine and has the final whats what on this install. He gave me a not "more than" price, but I think we can get a lower price when all is said and done. All so will have Jetta and Golf FMIC kits at great prices.
Krout you will love this one.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
finished my sound deadener install. Whew what a job. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=237655

definately worth it. I also went into some detail about some of the trim pieces as I couldn't find any help when I searched for it. I still broke a bunch of clips though. hope it helps the next sucker that does this kinda job.

and it was great working in shorts and a Tanktop in 70F Deg temps in JAnuary....

Last edited:

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
Not at all, will advise when mine is completed. I should be able to have more info after the GTG in Chaplin SC this weekend. Not having my NB torn apart until after that.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
TDikook said:
finished my sound deadener install. Whew what a job. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=237655 definitely worth it. I also went into some detail about some

I remember wearing this stuff on my head in Area 51-Nevada.:D

Nice job TDikook. Great write up.

Richard55, please keep us posted on the FMIC.

Krout - what type of paint did you use for the plastic interior panels dude? Rattle can I'd image, but what type. You're going to have a blast of UVA/UVB hitting the top portions of those panel sills ...is that paint resistant to fading?

I know someone in your area who does excellent window tinting if you're worried.

LOL:D

KROUT

persona non grata
BrianCT said:
Krout - what type of paint did you use for the plastic interior panels dude? Rattle can I'd image, but what type. You're going to have a blast of UVA/UVB hitting the top portions of those panel sills ...is that paint resistant to fading?

I know someone in your area who does excellent window tinting if you're worried.
There are no uva/uvb in my car ever. The car has tint all the way around. I am doing the whole windshield also.

I use a sealer/ filler primer on the top sections then painted with caliper paint ceramic stuff:eek:. I tried to scratch it after it set up and its way more scratch resistant than before. Its far from perfect but for a rattle can paint job it looks good enough. The problem with paint made for plastic is it has a flat finish and I did not like the way it looked.

I don't advise doing this its very time consuming.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
KROUT said:
......The problem with paint made for plastic is it has a flat finish and I did not like the way it looked.
You can use any type of paint when applying Bull Dog paint adhesive prior to applications. You can see about the stuff here.

kgirlbug2k

Veteran Member
Got a phone call from my husband that his 2.0 is starting and dying in Williamsburg VA and 'sounds like it is full of water'

What I get to do today is quality time with my TDI...after I get off work at 1:30 am, I get to drive five hours one way to bring him back home :D

TDI_Votex

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora Votex, 2003, Gris Platine
Here's the pictures of VW coolant heater installed.

Calix coolant heater kit - old design

New design

In a Golf 2000 without A/C - easy access :D

In a Beetle 99 with A/C :eek:

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
kgirlbug2k said:
Got a phone call from my husband that his 2.0 is starting and dying in Williamsburg, VA and 'sounds like it is full of water'..........
K'. We all are on the bench as to how that trip actually transpired seeing you were three hours out and three hours on return.:(

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
TDIkook I love the sound dampening. I really want to do this now to my A3. There is a night and day difference between what VW did OE between A3 and A4 so I would love to even get a little bit of quietness on the road. Not motor noise, but the air rushing underneath etc. Also wondering if there is a better way to seal the doors if anyone has ideas for that.

I've seen the past few pages about people not using their hand brake whilst parking...ive been trying that the past few days trying to save the life of moving parts if possible. I've been just keeping it in R, any other gears you guys use on here when you leave it parked?

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
Bora, when I did my A3 it was awesome. you are right, night and day difference between the two models. just do it. love that sound...

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
K i think that will be a this summer project for sure. i will have to go back and re-read all the details you gave on it, but I think it would definately be worth the investment. Again, Mini-Mercedes. Gotta compete with the girlfriend's 78 MB TD....granted at that age, and that motor you could hear it from a mile away though!

kgirlbug2k

Veteran Member
Husband called at 10 pm, he remembered he has to stay in Williamsburg Va tomorrow to meet with his advisor (working on his PhD)...so unless Felix decides to start tomorrow, I'll be driving down after work so we can go to Punxsutawney for our anniversary this weekend. (Yes, we got married on Groundhog Day, in front of a 30 foot fake stump...)

Oh and Williamsburg Va, is five hours one way for me...I lucked out tonight that I got to leave work at 1130 pm, and I don't think they will keep me until 1:30 am tomorrow.
Ollie had Felix towed to the dealer...but I am wondering, would anyone like to be the 'emergency mechanic' near Williamsburg Va for this car? Felix is ten, and is an electrical nightmare that leaves him stranded pretty often.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Delvi: Yes, you can upgrade this turbo but to what 4 MPG?

Stay away from a bigger turbo and injectors, just get a programer and a different final gearing(I like the 13SPD, more accurate in RPM's at higher speeds !).

I believe NICK @ STREET TOYS was programing big trucks.

CATS are known for having lots of power but no mileage(MPG) :eek: and another 50 HP will eat up .3 gallons more...
My series 60 made me ~ 7.8 MPG loaded(flatbed), with 16.750 lbs empty/ ~76.500 loaded

Last edited:

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Tell me more about this heater!

TDI_Votex said:
Here's the pictures of VW coolant heater installed.

New design

In a Golf 2000 without A/C - easy access :D

In a Beetle 99 with A/C :eek:

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
bikeprof said:
Delvi: Yes, you can upgrade this turbo but to what 4 PG?

Stay away from a bigger turbo and injectors, just get a programer and a different final gearing(I like the 13SPD, more accurate in RPM's at higher speeds !).

I believe NICK @ STREET TOYS was programing big trucks.

CATS are known for having lots of power but no mileage(MPG) :eek: and another 50 HP will eat up .3 gallons more...
My series 60 made me ~ 7.8 MPG loaded(flatbed), with 16.750 lbs empty/ ~76.500 loaded
I love the detroit S 60 but they are hard to find on the T600 and often when they do have it the had super 10 transmissions.

I was told to stay away from the twin turbo version they have some issues.

As far as the program is open all the way to 500hp and that plus the 3.55 rears realy make the speedometer not large enough for this combo:eek:

Last edited:

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL - Fixed
TDikook said:
finished my sound deadener install. Whew what a job. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=237655

definately worth it. I also went into some detail about some of the trim pieces as I couldn't find any help when I searched for it. I still broke a bunch of clips though. hope it helps the next sucker that does this kinda job.
I started to quite coat my doors, got the passenger side done last night with 2 coats. With it being 30* outside, i had to pull out the 2 - 500 watt construction lights to dry it quicker.

I tried to get the backseat (bench) out and what a PITA. I think its going to have to be a 'complete' removal of everything on the interior this spring/summer when i can ride my bike to work and not have to worry about putting the car back together. The bench alone wasted about 45 mins of trying to get it out with no avail. The way the seatbelt clip (think of the clicky part) is through a hole in the seat which is cut most perfectly for the size of the seatbelt clips... So i gave up, and focused on the doors. this weekend after i cange the oil in my GFs car i will do the driver side.

TDI_Votex

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora Votex, 2003, Gris Platine
oldpoopie said:
Tell me more about this heater!
This is the one VW dealers have in stock up here in cold Canada. Same principle as the Frostheater/Zerostart, but less power (550 Watts). It still does a good work. After 3 hours of operation, the coolant needle is up to the first mark, and you can feel heat ,even at -30C. Is is also installed in one of the oil cooler hose, but in the other one than the Zerostart.

More expensive also ($160 Can), but way smaller. This is the main reason I chose this one, as I had to fit it under the hood of a NB with A/C.

The kit include a 90 degre small hose and clip that goes between the oil cooler and the heater to get everything in place without any rubbing. The black base where the connector is can swivel depending to where you want to get the power cable.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The Golf Came Home Today

As you may recall, this is what my track day Golf looked like after my mishap in Ontario last June.

And it came home today, looking like this.

Everyone at Madison Park High School in Boston did a great job. They ended up repairing the right side frame rail, replacing the inner and outer fender, hood, grille, bumper brace and cover, airbox, windshield, etc. They painted most of the car, probably the right side and the hatch were the only parts not painted. The match looks perfect. There was no rust around the windshield, surprisingly.

Now for the fun stuff--engine mods, suspension, interior, and so on. We'll be ready for Spring.

KROUT

persona non grata
IndigoBlueWagon said:
As you may recall, this is what my track day Golf looked like after my mishap in Ontario last June.

And it came home today, looking like this.

Everyone at Madison Park High School in Boston did a great job. They ended up repairing the right side frame rail, replacing the inner and outer fender, hood, grille, bumper brace and cover, airbox, windshield, etc. They painted most of the car, probably the right side and the hatch were the only parts not painted. The match looks perfect. There was no rust around the windshield, surprisingly.

Now for the fun stuff--engine mods, suspension, interior, and so on. We'll be ready for Spring.
Too bad I did not have my parts car then Its a red 2 door golf. lol

zane23

TDI
jetta
today I painted my front grill, (matte black) Looks GREAT! and replaced my oil pan, a slight pain to get to the two bolts beside the tranny but with a good (swivel allen wrench) it was easy. looks good also compared to my old leaky one, next hopefully get me a skid plate cause i dont want to have to replace the new oil pan. I'll fill the car with oil in the mornin and let er' run for a while, check for leaks and she'll be road worthy again lol

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Peter- the shop stole your side marker lights in the bumper :p

Today I learned some more things I hate about TDI's:
1) Swapping thermocouples that are in the side of the manifold on a PD without removing anything else(PD's just take up more room than ALH's.)
2) Removing clusters. I swear someone stole a couple inches from my cluster connector wires. Those guys are TIGHT!

Learned one thing I love about my TDI: My new Doniol OLED boost/EGT gauge that's installed in the cluster. I'll try to get some pics of video clips up this weekend hopefully. It's very nice to have a peak boost and peak EGT function all wrapped up in an "OEM-Esque" package.

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
Farfromovin said:
Peter- the shop stole your side marker lights in the bumper :p

Today I learned some more things I hate about TDI's:
1) Swapping thermocouples that are in the side of the manifold on a PD without removing anything else(PD's just take up more room than ALH's.)
2) Removing clusters. I swear someone stole a couple inches from my cluster connector wires. Those guys are TIGHT!

Learned one thing I love about my TDI: My new Doniol OLED boost/EGT gauge that's installed in the cluster. I'll try to get some pics of video clips up this weekend hopefully. It's very nice to have a peak boost and peak EGT function all wrapped up in an "OEM-Esque" package.
nice Phill, send me some pictures of the boost/egt gauge.