Gardentender---Rest In Peace

MaryP

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI, GLS, 5 speed
I just got word that Gardentender (John Cox) from Dallas, TX and a long time TDIClub member, passed away yesterday from a battle with cancer.

His humor and wit was always enjoyed on this site and he never let it go, even at the end.

His last wish was that any memorials be exchanged for care packages sent to the troops in Iraq.

Thanks,
MaryP

Please respect the memory of John Cox and do not hijack this post to reflect any political views you may have about his wish...

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Mary, if you are able, please pass our condolences to his family.

suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver
My condolences to his family. They are in our prayers.

As he posted in the thread in gbnf for Switca,

"Godspeed. No CEL in the beyond!!"

Last edited:

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
suds said:
My condolences to his family. They are in our prayers.

As he posted in the thread in gbnf for Switca,

"Godspeed. No CEL in the beyond!!"
Yes - John! You'll be sorely missed...

Reading the GBNF threads is tough...

Adding new names to the list is tougher...

RIP John... rest in peace

Oo-v-oO

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta Expired... Now 2000 Golf & 2002 Golf
May your last autorotation be a good one, John. RIP.
I wished we could have gone for a bicycle ride before you left.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Rest in peace, friend. I'll always have fond memories of the old-school TDI crew.

VWWV

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 96, candy white
I've been wondering about Gardentender. Hadn't seen any posts for perhaps a year? His expert humor was one of the earliest memories I have of this forum. Would have liked to have met him. Seems like he could find humor in every situation. We need more folks like him.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
MaryP said:
His last wish was that any memorials be exchanged for care packages sent to the troops in Iraq.

Thanks,
MaryP

Please respect the memory of John Cox and do not hijack this post to reflect any political views you may have about his wish...
Link?

I'll send some anti bacterial socks (silver treated.)

MaryP

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI, GLS, 5 speed
Originally Posted by MaryP

nicklockard said:
Link?

I'll send some anti bacterial socks (silver treated.)
I wrote to my nephew and his wife, both who just got out of the Army. She is a nurse in the burn unit at Brooks Army Medical Center. These are the links to websites that providing care and aid to the troops in one form or another.

Brooks Army Medical Center
http://www.fallenheroesfund.org/

Website for the Fisher Houses (for families when staying in SA to visit their loved ones in Brooks)
http://www.fisherhouse.org/

The USO is a very big supporter of the troops
http://www.operationusocarepackage.org/site/pp.asp?c=ikLVJ7MSKvH&b=569653

These are two websites that came up when I did a google search, but I don't know anything about them...
http://www.treatanysoldier.com/

http://www.treatsfortroops.com/

Thanks,
MaryP

dok

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V
So much love for someone most may have never met in person, but found comfort in his words.

Rest in Peace John

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Rest in peace, John. It was a pleasure to read your contributions to the forum over so many years. My condolences to family and friends left behind.

tigerwillow

TDI
future Bug owner?
Thanks to everyone for your good thoughts for my brother. His wife, my other brother, John's children, et al. and I are grateful.

I joined this forum today because I mostly just wanted to say thanks, and talk a little bit about his request for care packages. Someone posted some good links, and if you want more personal contact with troops, http://www.anysoldier.com is a place where you can read letters from troops with specific requests and details of what their daily lives are like. I personally have sent stuff using this site. This is a trusted way to get your care packages into the hands of individuals and not organizations, if that's the way you roll.

My brother talked a LOT about his car, and about this forum. I was touched to hear of the group's acknowledgement of his passing. He loved his car, and his widow does too.

And now that I'm here, I might just have to stop drooling over the updated Beetle and consider buying one... will another Cox go TDI? Stay tuned....

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
tigerwillow said:
My brother talked a LOT about his car, and about this forum. I was touched to hear of the group's acknowledgement of his passing. He loved his car, and his widow does too.

And now that I'm here, I might just have to stop drooling over the updated Beetle and consider buying one... will another Cox go TDI? Stay tuned....
Haha, we would be most happy to have you on board the forums as a future fellow TDI owner! Welcome!

At least by joining now you beat the institution of the new razing initiation rule. Don't worry, it doesn't involve YOU, just breaking-in your tight new TDI (just kidding). :D

MaryP

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI, GLS, 5 speed
Oops, so sorry. I guess I shoulda figured it out when you said, "other brother", but I missed it...

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
tigerwillow said:
Thanks to everyone for your good thoughts for my brother. His wife, my other brother, John's children, et al. and I are grateful.

I joined this forum today because I mostly just wanted to say thanks, and talk a little bit about his request for care packages. Someone posted some good links, and if you want more personal contact with troops, http://www.anysoldier.com is a place where you can read letters from troops with specific requests and details of what their daily lives are like. I personally have sent stuff using this site. This is a trusted way to get your care packages into the hands of individuals and not organizations, if that's the way you roll.

All the sentiments previously expressed above.

You're welcome to be here too even if you do just think about getting one. Someone named "Derf" was here for many years before buying one.

tigerwillow

TDI
future Bug owner?
if it counts any, my first car was a 68 Beetle <3 and I also drove (into the ground) a Rabbit and a Golf GT. I currently drive a Toyota Camry LE, V6... but am eyeing the Prius. Big Brother questioned that in his last few days, and I had to tell him that my next car would be a hybrid, and I think he said, "no diesel?"

But I'll do my homework so I don't sound like the Biggest Newbie In The World, a serious crime in our family. :)

Mary, no worries. As an editor, I should know better than to be ambiguous in print!