Power steering fluid??

kev25v6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat TDI 4Motion
Do VW's have to have a certain type of power steering fluid or can any type be used?? Reason i ask is that mine was a bit low the other day, not much below full, so i topped it up with some i had in the garage that said ok for use in Vauxhall and other makes requiring the same grade but not Fords or other vehicles requiring a Ford grade fluid. My steering is not a bit heavier than usual and the belt squeals more when on full lock. When coming back off of full lock the wheel can judder when going back to center but a friend has the same thing with his steering when coming back from full lock in his golf. Can the belt be adjusted or is a new one easy to fit? It looks like its connected to a pulley to do with the cambelt.

visionlogic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
VW's made after 1990 must use Pentosin Power Steering Fluid CHF 11S (VW part # G 002 000.

Sorry, but I'm not knowledgeable enough about the belt, pump and/or rack to be of any help there.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
A bit late wouldn't you say to be asking that question now that you poured an incompatible fluid into the system?

Did you notice the warning on your power steering fluid reservoir before pouring the wrong stuff in?

Did you take the time to look at the service manual that came with your car to read about what type of fluid spec is required?

Drain the system!

Use the CORRECT FLUID CHF11s by Pentosin
aka
"Hydraulic Fluid 11S Synthetic Base, CHF 11.S. Pentosin 11S"

DB

kev25v6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat TDI 4Motion
After reading through a few old posts on here it seems that here in the UK we have more manufacturers of power steering fluid that are comatable with VW's OE requirements. Its supposed to be green according to a lot of posts but mine was red to start with. There is no mention of what type to use on the reservoir. The bottle does not say its not compatable with VW,only Ford. Why would i expect it to do damage to the system? The squealing was there before hand, its just the slightly heavier steering that is new and since the only thing changed is a small top up of fluid im guessing that must be the reason. It was not much more than an egg cup of the new fluid, just to bring the level back up to the full mark.

kev25v6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat TDI 4Motion
A Uk site i use says i need the green power steering fluid, part no. G 002 000 is this the same as Hydraulic Fluid 11S Synthetic Base, CHF 11.S. Pentosin 11S"??

Whats the best way to drain it off? I would guess taking the pipe off of the pump but where is it located? Would a litre be enough to flush it out and refill?

kev25v6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat TDI 4Motion
Changed the fluid out today with the green stuff, now part no. G004 000 from VW. It took about 15 mins at the most and that was mostly waiting on the pump draining out. I removed the hose clip and pulled off the hose connecting to the pump and about a litre of dirty black fluid came out.It cant have been changed in a while as it smelled like burnt oil. I flushed some new stuff through then filled up to full and moved the steering wheel back and fourth a load of times then topped back up to full. Its made the steering lighter, the whine from the belt on full lock is quieter and takes longer to sound too, giving a bit more of a turning circle. I had a bit of vibration through the steering that ive had for a while and now that has gone too. I had two 1L bottles from the dealer and when asked for them the guy said we only normally give them out in ones, why when i asked for two?? He had to go in the back and ask for permission to give out two bottles, £14 altogether and in the end i only used one bottle, atleast i have some spare.

kev25v6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat TDI 4Motion
My brothers not so happy though, he drove me to the dealers which is next to a timber place. When we got back home he noticed someting in the edge of his rear tyre, only turned out to have four nails in one tyre and one in the other rear. Hes trading it in tomorrow for a new car and had to get two new tyres to do so.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
The issue with mixing fluids is usually in the seals as well as other characteristics of the fluid (viscosity (hot/cold flow), anti-foaming characteristics, system pressure and the addtivies required to protect the systems pump etc, thermal stability against break-down (hydraulic fluid can get REALLY hot).

I would suggest driving a few hundred miles and do one more flush (to be conservative). This does benefit you in regards to further flushing out the metals that circulate in the system as well as reducing the ratio of wrong fluid further.

As a general rule, flushing the PS system every 50,000 miles is a really good idea...So far (knock on wood) using that advice I have never had to replace a power steering system component...ever.

DB