How-To: Hammer Mod w/Pics & Cake!

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
First I'm not trying to steal anyone's thunder. I did NOT come up with this. I simply performed it twice myself so I took pictures this time and figured I'd share the information I gathered with everyone. Pictures help me with mods, so hopefully they can help you.

First steps before you get started...

Tools
Hammer, Mallet...whichever
T30 Torx Bit 3/8 Drive is best
3" Extension
Obviously the wrench
Sharpie or other marker
VCDS a MUST.

Step one; Ensure via VCDS that your IQ isn't adjusted software wise. If it is reset it back to the 'stock' value.
To check this; connect VCDS to your running car and head into the engine controller. Click the 'Login' button and enter '12233'. Then hit the 'Adaptation' Button. Enter channel '01'. Now you can actually see your IQ and it's value. If it says '32768 then it's fine to procede. If it's a different value set it back to '32768' click 'test' then click 'save'.

Step two; Warm up the car, take 'er for a spin you want your IQ to be where it's normally at when you are all warmed up. This is important.

Step three; Remove your engine cover, if you have one. Find your Injector Pump. Then locate the three T3 bolts we will be dealing with.

Step four; Take your Sharpie and mark a line on each bolt so you know how far you've turned it. Trust me this is a good idea. Then mark where your pump is currently sitting.

Step five; Take your T30 bit and start working off the bolts. You only need 1/2 turn, that's 180 Degrees. They are PLENTY loose by this time. So no further!

Step six; Take your hammer, mallet, block of cheese or whatever you got and strike the top portion of the pump. Don't wack the crap out of it, it's not a nail. You aren't building a deck! Simply watch the mark you made of the position to see how far it moves. Once it starts to move, one or two wacks. STOP tighten the bolts back to their position and check your IQ via VCDS again. You want to get it around ~3-5.

Step seven; If required repeat. Just remember don't beat the living hell out of it. It took me two wacks to get it moving. One to free it one to move it. It moved literally a hair's width. Brought my IQ from 0.8 to 4.2!

Comments, suggestions and pokes are welcome. :) Oh and the cake was a lie. Portal fans will get that.:p

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
if you are good you can have the car running with VCDS displaying the IQ reading while you whack it. (not hard!) that takes the guesswork out of it

if you loosen the bolt too much, it squirts you with fuel... :) tighten it a little.

altho pay attention as you tighten the bolts, the IQ value may change...

it would also be a good idea to get the special bit from metalnerd to loosen the 4th bolt, makes the job much easier.

Good How to BTW

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Great information Aaron. I was tempted to do it this time with the engine running, but with my luck I'd spray fuel everywhere. I'd imagine it would be easier since you could hear the change too.

:)

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
I don't own a TDI with VE-IP. Can you tell me what's the purpose of this mods? The reason I ask is that I'm in the market of replacing my '95 Passat VR6 with either an '03 Golf GLS TDI 5-spd or an '04 Jetta Sport TDI-PD 5-spd

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Step one; Ensure via VCDS that your IQ isn't adjusted software wise. If it is reset it back.
How about an edit to clarify these:
What's the VCDS data field that should be looked at and what would be limits on the values in it?
What is a "normal" value and what is the value of one that is "adjusted software wise"?

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Lug_Nut said:
What's the VCDS data field that should be looked at and what would be limits on the values in it?
What is a "normal" value and what is the value of one that is "adjusted software wise"?
Done. :)

I'd love for this to be a sticky. It's hard to find the information required for this all in one thread. Hopefully I did that. Mmmm this cake is good.

jrip

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Blue, TOTALED, Jetta, 2002, Green
Lug_Nut said:
I hate to seem like the dummy, but I don't think I saw an answer to this question. Did I miss something??

NateTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000 TDI, JSW 2010 TDI
Dumb question alert!!!!

Why would one want to do the hammer mod?

TDI
None
Great writeup NB, I've seen this post awhile ago thinking that I'd never have to do this, and I think I just may....anyone ever heard of an idle shudder (not slow down)?

Here's the situation...got the 99.5 Jetta in March with 100k mi, has had an idle "shudder" ever since. When I say shudder I mean stuttering. I get excessive shudder almost like a misfire on a gasser. I can come to a stop, engine shudders, keeps shuddering and sputtering until I "blip" the throttle then it smooths out for whatever period of time, then it will go back into throwing a fit. Timing belt was done by a trusted guru shortly after I purchased it, and I had a code for quantity adjuster and my timing was jumping all over the place so I ended up putting in a high quality rebuild from DFIS at the recommendation of the trustworthy guru. Shortly after I installed balanced injectors with Sprint 520's from a very reputable vendor through this site. Together they made the shudder 1/3 as intense as it was, but its still there.

I had a fellow member check my IQ when up to temp, and we adjusted it up to 4.0 as it will not go any higher...any lower and it shakes uncontrollably...alas I think this is my next step (besides buying VCDS once and for all!!). Does it seem odd that even with a new pump I can't get the IQ setting higher than 4? Is this another one of those weird 99.5 glitches?

I didn't intend to hijack this thread and if so I apologize, just wanted to request some more experienced brainpower! Thanks! -AGTDI

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
VCDS cannot adjust very far, actually it's the pump. That's when you perform this mod. You'd reset your settings via VCDS and then do this mod. Then you can fine tune it with VCDS.

I had idle and slowdown shudder too.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Gonna make this a sticky for a little while. Great How-To thread! :cool:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
NB, why don't you loosen the anti-tammper bolt in your method? I was scratching my head till Matthew and CCBB posted the more familiar style of hammer modding. Thought I was crazy.

rventerprises

TDI
'12 Jetta
I can't get a consistent reading for my IQ. I get it to 3.0, then drive it, it has absolutely no power and dies when I push the clutch in. After a hard restart the IQ is at 8 or 9 and slowly drops. I just can't get it dialed in. When I crack the torx screws loose, I get a bunch of air in my fuel line, if I get a decent IQ it starts idling really rough when I tighten the screws. Any suggestions before this thing visits the bottom of the local reservoir?

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Sounds like an air getting into the fuel problem, fuel restriction but not an IQ problem. As I understand it, if iq goes up to 8 or 9 as you describe, that is the QA moving the collar to compensate for the root problem. Any signs of fuel leaks on your injection pump?

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
NB, why don't you loosen the anti-tammper bolt in your method? I was scratching my head till Matthew and CCBB posted the more familiar style of hammer modding. Thought I was crazy.
Mainly because in my situation, and the others I've fixed, it's barely out. If it was completely off due to some catastrophic failure, then yeah maybe.

Sorry about the cake. Perhaps you'd like some conversion gel?

bowelder

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW golf TDI with tech package
as a newbie (approx 1 month) in the club, I still don't know what most of you all are talking about most of the time. But i'm reading and learning daily. My question is, what is IQ and is this something i should be looking at with my 2000 Golf ALH engine?

all these abbreviations are rough on the newbies:D

rventerprises

TDI
'12 Jetta
I am a newbie too and I have been scouring threads for 3 days trying to find a solution. I see massive amounts of air in my clear inlet line but only at certain IQ adjustments. It could just be coincidence I see the air when I loosen the screws but sometimes I see it after I tighten them. The only thing I can think of is I read something about some check valves I could have gotten stuck when I bled the air out the first time. I have a mity-vac I put it on the return to the right of the pump the first time and thought I got it. Yesterday I put a new fuel filter on. I thought I read about a check valve at the tank so I put the mity-vac to pressure to try to reseat it before sucking the air out. Then pinched the returns on the filter before sucking the air out of the filter. Filter was filled before installing. Where else can air get in?