Quaker State 507.00 Oil?

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
Is there a Quaker State Oil that meets 507 spec? Asking because I recently purchased a brand new 2009 TDI and this is what my dealer uses. Just want to verify if this is true, because they are also not servicing the DSG at 40K mi :eek:, saying NOT NEEDED

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
whoa.... they should be using the castrol oil....

They do not know what they are doing. Run, do not Walk, but Run to another dealer for your servicing!

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
Last edited:

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
bmwM5power said:
cant find 507, where is it?
It's the sheet that says diesel plus and it talks about use with VW 507 and diesel using DPF. It's in there.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
What are the chances that oil would need to be imported?

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Bob_Fout said:
What are the chances that oil would need to be imported?
I saw it at Wal mart two days ago. $5.25/ quart. Interestingly, the Pennzoil Platinum version did not list any VW Spec on the bottle. (So of course I scoffed and walked away.) But it did list the whole "for use on 2007 and later model diesels blablabla" It was also a 5W30 oil.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
That's what I mean FLAK. The 507.00 version won't be sold in the US on store shelves.

If it meets CJ-4 though I'll add it to my list.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Is this the oil that was to be available ONLY in bulk supply?

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Bob_Fout said:
That's what I mean FLAK. The 507.00 version won't be sold in the US on store shelves.

If it meets CJ-4 though I'll add it to my list.
Do you really think that it's NOT 507 certified? I made the assumption that it WAS certified (based on the data sheets from the link posted above) but the labeling just omitted it for some reason.

By comparison, there was also a Castrol Syntec Full Synthetic in the black bottle 5W30 weight-the IDENTICAL bottle to what is purchased at the dealership but it does NOT say "VW 505.00 505.01 etc.) Do you assert that THAT bottle is NOT VW cert oil as well?

It was also the exact same price as the dealership too.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
FL2AK-tdi said:
Do you really think that it's NOT 507 certified? I made the assumption that it WAS certified (based on the data sheets from the link posted above) but the labeling just omitted it for some reason.

By comparison, there was also a Castrol Syntec Full Synthetic in the black bottle 5W30 weight-the IDENTICAL bottle to what is purchased at the dealership but it does NOT say "VW 505.00 505.01 etc.) Do you assert that THAT bottle is NOT VW cert oil as well?

It was also the exact same price as the dealership too.
Castrol Syntec 5w30 has never met any VW specs, it's not suitable for ANY VW. Castrol Sytec 5w40 does meet 505.00 though. Castrol TXT 5w40 is 505.01, as is Castrol SLX 5w30. SLX LL03 is a 507.00 oil. You probably won't find TXT or SLX in a traditional store.

There are clues that lead me to believe it's not a 507.00 oil. (1) It's not listed on the bottle (2) Says it's for 2007 and later diesels. That sounds like an API CJ-4 oil.

It's not unusual for European/International and American versions of the same oil to meet different specs.

/EDIT: Added SLX LL03

Last edited:

alnmike

Veteran Member
TDI

I think this is what Flak was talking about.
Btw, I went to walmart and couldnt find any diesel oil besides whats for F350's, did I goto the wrong one, or just didnt look hard enough?

The VW dealer in Olympia, WA tried telling me (multiple times) that Castrol used excess 501 bottles to put 507 in, I didn't buy it, wanted a written statement from them before I bought (was about to start a 2500 mile trip), ended up not getting it due to my paranoia. VWoA did hear about that incident though.

Last edited:

alnmike

Veteran Member
TDI
And whats the command to get thumbnails to appear instead of letting my pictures take up the entire screen like an idiot?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
You're not gonna find Castrol SLX in a traditional store (Euro parts shop, maybe, or other 504.00/507.00 oils). You may see Syntec 5w30 though at Wally and Autozone etc..

Last edited:

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
lkchris said:
Why would anyone think that if the VW certification isn't on the bottle that somehow the oil within meets it anyway?
Because of the data sheets that are linked in the earliest part of this thread. Do you really think that a petroleum company is making two differnt formulations of light duty diesel vehicle engine oil to two different standards in the same viscosity?

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Okay, so it's the Q diesel plus that carries the 507 certi.

From the Data Sheet:
"Performance Features and Benefits
Q Diesel Plus SAE 5W-30 exceeds the following
industry standards:

ACEA: C2/C3 ; A3/B4-04
VW 504 00 / 507 00
Mercedes MB-Approval 229.51 "

Now, I will have to return to Mal-Warts to be sure if it was Q Diesel Plus that I saw or the other

The Q European Ultra Diesel is (Platinum, which I KNOW I saw)

The Q European Ultra in 5-30 is 505.00 505.01 approved

See the chart on the document titled Platinum European Motor Oils whcih can be found by going to the earlier link and typing "diesel."

Essentially, the 5-40 carres no cert other than CJ4

I wonder if no one is going to bother continuing to make a "certified" 5-40 oil now?

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
FL2AK-tdi said:
Mike: the Super Mal-Warts on Old Seward across from Sportsman's Outhouse.
So, on a lark, i went back in there about an hour ago; either I was mistaken earlier or their previous stock is depleted-Im pretty sure that I was mitaken.

All that they had was the Penn Platinum 5-30 and teh Q Power 5-30 neither of which, according to the bottles meet any cert suitable for any VW TDI.

I apologize for misinforming you, Mike. I somehow got it in my head that the bottles shown in the link were, indeed the ones that I had seen at mal-Warts. (Including the CJ-4 version.)

squebel

Veteran Member
Get used to paying shipping on your quality 505.01/507 oil from online retailers... I have and it sux. Best bet is to buy a bunch of it at once and see if you can take advantage of any free shipping offers.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
It's pretty much that way with the 505.00 as well unless you want to use the non vw CJ4 Shell brand stuff.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
FLAK, Castrol Syntec 5w40 is 505.00. Should be at Wally world and FLAPS. So is Mobil 1 0w40.

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
Some News!

Hey ya'll I just got back for a little trip to my (not quite) local chrysler dealer to pick up the last 5 liters of Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP 507.00 thay had on the shelf.

Long story short,
Chrysler Dealers are no longer carrying Mobil 1 lubricants, they are going to carry Penzoil. The part # (with the exception of last letter) that used to get that M1 will now get you this Penzoil product.

So, maybe you alaska folks could get it from a chrysler/dodge/jeep dealer that you might have locally. I dunno, I've never been there, I don't what you have up there on the car dealer front.

The part # should be: 68001334AB The 'b' is what changed, used to end in AA. Try a friendly parts guy and see what you can accomplish.

Best of luck!

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Bob_Fout said:
FLAK, Castrol Syntec 5w40 is 505.00. Should be at Wally world and FLAPS. So is Mobil 1 0w40.
I don't know what FLAPS is.

in regards to 0-40 oil...isn't that a diversion from the manuals? Isn't it supposed to be a CJ4 oil that 5-40 or a 505.00 oil?

Or, in the case of the newer guys a 505.01/507 only oil that is whatever grafe as long as it is 505.01/507

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
FLAPS is Friendly Local Auto Parts Store.

For general usage the manuals (at least my 2003's) state 5w40 or 5w30, but 0w40 is permissible too, as long as they meet CF-4 and/or 505.00 and/or ACEA somesuch (don't know off the top of my head). It's a good oil with good UOAs with a proven track record here.

Lots more info here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=158788

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Bob_Fout said:
FLAPS is Friendly Local Auto Parts Store.

For general usage the manuals (at least my 2003's) state 5w40 or 5w30, but 0w40 is permissible too, as long as they meet CF-4 and/or 505.00 and/or ACEA somesuch (don't know off the top of my head). It's a good oil with good UOAs with a proven track record here.

Lots more info here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=158788
Oh, well that is news to me. It's ACEA A3/B5, any ANEA A standard is for cars and B standards are for heavy trucks.

Neither Mal-Warts nor FLAPS carry Syntec 5-40 up here. Not in the four years that I've lived in AK.