My 2000 Jetta TDI

2000BlueJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Bought with 184k for $3600. It needed/needs work, I've done a few things but I'm still plugging away at some stuff. Throws a 1556 code so actuator replacement is next. Cleaned the egr valve and intake and it pulls a little better, but still goes into limp mode around 4psi... She's not the prettiest car but for boost problems and still chuggin along at 42mpg average I will live. Love the site, I'm sure I'll have questions at some point.

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Yeah just read up! Use the search functions and refine your search terms until you are narrowing down on your exact problems.

The boost issue is definitely solve-able with basic wrenching skills. A dealership would probably bend you over though, so watch out.

Always liked that color. 5-spd or auto?

2000BlueJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
5spd, wouldnt get anything but haha. For now I'm going to get the boost issue resolved, throw some new pads and rotors on it, and just drive it for a bit and focus the $ on my truck. But in the future Im going to make my own egr delete kit (machinist as a profession) and put some stage 2 injectors in it. Id like to get a set of the Wolfsberg 16's and powder coat them black too..

Edit: I never go to the dealer, I do all my own work or have my friends help me. And I like the color too, it wasnt that color to begin with, the PO had it painted. the engine bay and under the trunk are still the maroon color

Last edited:

2000BlueJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Whats up dudes and dudettes. Got a few more photos for ya!

Went up to the White Mountains in NH to check into my girlfriends step moms time share

My boost gauge pod I made at work:

Painted and installed:

My dog Kira LOVES going for rides in the car ;)

Still workin on the boost issue when money allows, new actuators in just got to adjust it, going to douch the exhaust housing this weekend beause the vanes are stuck again, also going to finish my vac lines and test my N75 and MAF sensor. Hopefully I'll be hittin 15 psi soon enough!:D:D

Edit: I dont think I could have posted any larger of pics haha

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
love the car, sounds like a good deal.

i love the shift knob. i've got a few pieces of aluminum left from a project, i may look at making one myself.

i'm currently making one out of wood, and after looking at the different grains and what not, i think i'm going to go with walnut.

how'd you put the boot back on? just clipped it on the stem or something?

2000BlueJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Its zip tied to the knob under the boot, then just folded over, its only temporary im in the works of designing a round knob with a flat top. Post a pic of yours when its done id like to see it

2000BlueJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
So fresh and so clean clean

Supporting the forum on the trunk

Block off plate for the turbo. (I know its studs not threaded holes on it.)

The start of my race pipe I'm making at work. I love being a machinist!

The flange will probably look like **** lol, oh well function over looks. Thats all for now, you may resume your regularly scheduled forum creepin':D

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
i miss my old job and all its wonderful machines... i wish they'd let me come back on weekends and use them..

2000BlueJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Had time to clean my wheels after i washed the car today :D:D:D

Before:

After:

I used SD-20 heavy duty degreaser that we have at work

TDI01844

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
So.....do you actually work at work or just work on making car parts and stuff?? lol

Nice car, good price and I also like the color a lot. Looking forward to seeing that finished shift knob when you get done. The one you have on there is nice as well.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
I bet you could sell those shifter...i mean im pretty interested in one i like it

2000BlueJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Havent checked this in a while... Yes I do work haha, I did the shift knob and race pipe on the manual lathe while my cnc lathe was running. I did make a prototype spherical knob out of some scrap plastic on a day off. Savage, I dont have a problem making some to make a few bucks but they cant have the VW symbol that way I dont get sued haha. Anywho, on to some pics for ya

My precious lathe that I'm going to run a few knobs on. This pic was taken when the turret was was sent out to get rebuilt, dont worry theres tooling for it haha

The 'prototype' shift knob

2.5" Downpipe back exhaust with a side exit ;)

Side exit was too loud with the windows down so I went all the way back

Sittin pretty on some 16s I traded my mt bike for

Probably the best investment I've made

2000BlueJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Finally got around to making my sphere shifter, and an adapter for the shift tower made out of 303 stainless.

I'm going to re make the adapter so that the boot sits flush and looks nicer. I'm going to try to use the oem back sleeve clamp thing too and I think I'm also going to make a few different styles because with the adapter and the M25x1.5 thread on it they can be interchangeable lol

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Where did you buy your frost heater? Just curious.

Nice looking dog too!!! Be careful their claws and VW's soft touch surfaces to not mix well. Literally the only thing I do not like about my car was the previous owner's choice to let her dogs have free range of the car. I have scratches on the plexiglass in front of the gauge cluster! How did that happen???!!!

2000BlueJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
It works awesome! Car starts right up like you just shut it off. Install was super easy too. They claim instant heat but it still takes a few miles to start blowing warm air, but for a lot less stress and wear and tear on the mechanical stuff on cold mornings I am more than happy

2000BlueJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Oooooooooooo PowerPlus 520s, smoked side markers, and bumper grill fog light sets are in the mail. Early Christmas for me! Pics will be loaded when everythins put in, stay tuned.

paddlepro42

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
Nice pictures Dan! I'll have to put an order in for the block off plates and did the M&M's come with the frost heater? Can't wait to get some extra cash and start working on mine!

2000BlueJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Yeah they did it was a couple days before Halloween haha. I'll grab my plates off the coffee table and make you a set tomorrow when I go to work for a few hours

Last edited:

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
That's a great sphere shift knob. was it cnc lathe? does it have a flat bottom or is it completely spherical

2000BlueJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
It's a conversational lathe and the bottom isn't sphere I needed a way to mount it because I did the sphere in 2 different cycles

2000BlueJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Small update on the car:

520s are in and the car is runnin pretty good, a friend says my injection quantity needs to be adjusted and thats why it sputters a little when I slow down to a stop. Ordered VCDS Sunday so hopefully I can finally take care of that (goin on 3 weeks...) I need to adjust my actuator still since I cant go WOT without it spiking way too high (dont worry I monitor the boost while driving), going to do that this weekend. Also my smoked fender and bumper markers came in! It's amazing how such a small mod changes the look. I love them! Also got my new boost gauge in as well. Still waiting on the fog lights and euro switch to come in and that's all the play, besides Joey modding the headlights and painting the grill and emblem black, until Feb when I can order a VNT-17... :D Then hopefully suspension this summer. Always nice to dream :rolleyes: Might have to make some spacers to space the wheels out a smidge this summer too...

My new GloShift gauge

If you have problems with gauge buzz, this was my fix and it doesnt make a single sound now. Not sure if the unintentional expantion chamber, or the small piece of cotton did it, or both, but who cares! It works! lol

The car with the new markers

A little closer up...

Last edited:

2000BlueJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
1stgen that's been on my mind for a while I just need to figure out how to mount them, and countryboy I am sure we can arrange something