What kind of power steering fluid?

wvtdi

TDI
Jetta, 2004, Galactic Blue
I have a 2004 Jetta TDI that needs the power steering fluid topped off (about 1/4" low). The local parts store and the local VW mechanic (not a dealership guy) said the car uses a mineral oil for the PS system. The mechanic sold me a greenish colored fluid. The fluid in the car looks to be a clear, almost new motor oil color and smells like the normal power steering fluid that is in my Ford pickup. My question is, what kind of fluid do i need and is this green stuff what I need (and is it even compatible)? Please help - my wife needs the car to go to work in the morning and I don't want her to drive it with the PS fluid low. Thanks in advance.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Yeah, the fluid used to be pine green. Perhaps there is a newer version.

Head to the stealership and get one of the small topping off bottles. DO NOT mix any other type of fluid in there.

Also, your owner's manual may reveal more info on the PS fluid...have a look.

Welcome aboard!

wvtdi

TDI
The owners manual is basically useless in this regard - not only does it not tell me what fluid to use, there aren't even any instructions for checking the power steering fluid. Off to the stealership, I suppose.

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GlS,2006 NB (Crew Chief),2009 JSW
Think what you are looking for is Pentosin CHF-11S for the power steering. See this link http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Volkswagen&engine=TDI&model=Jetta%20IV&submodel=&category=Maintenance to get an idea of what it looks like. It can be has via the web and some better car parts shops that have items for euro cars. It isn't cheap stuff but neither is the power steering system replacement costs. As DD suggest there is a top off bottle at the stealership. The owners manual is just that, very little DTY in it so invest in a repair manual. Hope this helps
PAUL
jUMP62

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Jump, I'd be careful, this fellow is not the first to report a clear/golden colored fluid. It's likely another product is recommended that supercedes the Pentosin that's been around for so many years.

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
dieseldorf said:
Jump, I'd be careful, this fellow is not the first to report a clear/golden colored fluid. It's likely another product is recommended that supercedes the Pentosin that's been around for so many years.
Live and learn in the world of VW, I looked in the ETKA and for 2003-2005 years it shows G002000 as the part number for PS fluid. I'd love to know what is suppose to go in. I too wouldn't mix green with clear, they may not like each other. When my Dad comes back to town I'll check his 2006 NB to see what color the PS fluid is. Wonder if the car was " serviced " and a non vw fluid was put in? OK I've learned something.
Paul
aka Jump62

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
ibrickey said:
What happens if you put 2 or 3 ounces of regular power steering fluid in there by mistake? :-/
I guess I'll find out the hard way!!
Years ago before I knew that VW used a special synthetic power steering fluid I topped off with Valvoline synthetic power Steering fluid. This was like 250,000 miles ago. Nothing has happened yet.

I now keep a liter of Pentosin CHF-11S in my garage now.

The English side of the can.

The fine print on the side of the can states it cannot be mixed with anything else.

The list of ingredients.

wvtdi

TDI
Jump62 said:
Live and learn in the world of VW, I looked in the ETKA and for 2003-2005 years it shows G002000 as the part number for PS fluid. I'd love to know what is suppose to go in. I too wouldn't mix green with clear, they may not like each other. When my Dad comes back to town I'll check his 2006 NB to see what color the PS fluid is. Wonder if the car was " serviced " and a non vw fluid was put in? OK I've learned something.
Paul
aka Jump62
Up until the 50,000 mile service (I do it myself now), VW dealership has done the work and I don't know that any PS fluid has been put in. I picked up some at the VW dealership and it is the G002000 spec and is green in color. The dealership swears that this is the right fluid, even though the existing fluid both looks and smells like common PS fluid. I put it in anyway - the fluid was low and I know for sure that low fluid will damage the system, but not sure whether the green fluid will. The PS fluid cap IS green, but that may not have anything to do with the fluid color. The dealership and the local VW guy both sold me the same Petrosin product, so it will have to work until I find out otherwise.

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
Strack said:
The new A5 Jetta's do not have a hydraulic unit (use electric motor), not certain about the '06 Bug's power steering ?
The 06 Bug is sort of an A-4 platform, when looking to stock up on filters I found the same part numbers for the oil, air fuel filters as my 2003 Jetta. There is the green capped PS tank in the engine bay. Seems that the changes in the 06 NB was sheetmetal and not as major as the A-4 to A-5 change.
Paul
aka Jump62

Dragracerzzz

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9L BRM 300K Mi. Malone Stage 1.5 tune and haulin the mail! (Courtesy of WIDiesel Service) Thanks Kevin
Gee willakers!! Makes me glad that I have a 2006 with an all electronic rack and pinion powerful steering setup, and my 88 Fox was all in the biceps!
~DRZ~

drywaller

Veteran Member
TDI
VDUBS
Gee willakers!! Makes me glad that I have a 2006 with an all electronic rack and pinion powerful steering setup, and my 88 Fox was all in the biceps!
~DRZ~
Yes and no. We have an 11 bew and I this no less complicated. It seems vag is reinventing the wheel in many cases. Some of it is an necessary evil but much of it like the power steering fluid and maybe even the brake fluid could have been engineered to use off the shelf stuff. But then again, maybe it is off the shelf stuff over the pond.

Riflesmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 6M, 2015 Golf TDI 6A
Had my power steering reservoir lose all oil during my first timing belt change experience. Simply topped it off with some Royal Purple fluid I had on the shelf for my pickup.

115K miles later, all remains well.

Not suggesting this is proper, simply sharing my experience.

drywaller

Veteran Member
TDI
VDUBS
Good stuff riflesmith. It seems that those that go outside the OEM stuff are having good luck with synthetic.