Buyback: IF condition doesn't matter, lets make them Art Cars

str1ck

TDI
2015 Sportwagen Golf TDI
If the condition of our cars doesn't matter at trade in, I expect to see some funky painted cars at the dealership when I go to sell mine back!!!

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
Not planning to turn mine in, but for those that are it's an excellent idea!

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
Or even beyond purposely defacing your car, what if it is not in running condition? Can you tow it in? Or what about someone out there with body damage, or other mechanical issues....will those be accepted?

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
Or even beyond purposely defacing your car, what if it is not in running condition? Can you tow it in? Or what about someone out there with body damage, or other mechanical issues....will those be accepted?
I will take the fix, but if they cant fix 1st gen and force a buyback, I am gutting my car and returning it. I will take out the seats and build my own office chair with it (always wanted one of those car seat ones). Anything else of value I can keep?

okieB7

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
Yep, I don't see the point of doing the 30k maintenance. Will just change the oil. The 40K with the DSG can just go right to hell, if I am still driving it at that point.

okieB7

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
I will take the fix, but if they cant fix 1st gen and force a buyback, I am gutting my car and returning it. I will take out the seats and build my own office chair with it (always wanted one of those car seat ones). Anything else of value I can keep?
oh...good idea.

All kinds of stuff you can Ebay.

jack, spare, interior trim, knobs, NAV unit, lights, carpet (if its in good shape still), anything dealing with the climate control, ac compressor, alternator, the spare fob. I am sure there is a ton more. I wonder if you can pull body panels too.

Actually the best thing would be to find one the same color for dirt cheap because of body damage......a quick swap and bang, you got a driver, and you can trade in your original for top dollar.

Last edited:

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
Well, there is this:

F.
For any Eligible Owner with an Eligible Vehicle that is Operable as of the date set by the Court for consumers to opt out of the Class Action or the Effective Date, whichever is earlier, but which ceases to be Operable before the vehicle can be brought in for a Buyback,upon submission of an Eligible Owner’s complete and valid claim application pursuant to Section XIII and surrender of all right, title, and interest in, and possession of, the Eligible Vehicle to Defendant at a Volkswagen Dealer (or other entity authorized by Defendant), Defendant shall pay Eligible Owner Non-Operable Restitution to the Eligible Owner. If an Eligible Owner does not possess title to the Eligible Vehicle, for title to the Eligible Vehicle to be transferred to Defendant, the Eligible Owner and Defendant must complete the steps required by Subsection G.1 and the claim application pursuant to Section XIII.

But I can't find anywhere what "Non-Operable Restitution" is.

And "Non Operable" by their definintion of "Operable", is

II.
Operable” means that the vehicle so described can be driven under its own 2.0*liter TDI engine power. A vehicle is not Operable if it had a branded title of “Assembled,” “Dismantled,” “Flood,” “Junk,” “Rebuilt,” “Reconstructed,” or “Salvaged” on September 18, 2015, and was acquired by any person or entityfrom a junkyard or salvage yard after September 18, 2015.

It does not, however, make any reference to appearance or condition. Apparently it just has to get there under its own power.

Last edited:

okieB7

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
I would love to see a pic of someone driving up in one with doors, body panels and glass removed...lol. Everything off of it except whats needed to start it and drive it around the block to the dealer. Can you imagine the dealer having to cut you a $29K check for that.

Last edited:

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I love this idea. We could even start a page with the everyone's painted cars. Seriously, if someone makes sure there would be no repercussions I'm in.

D_Squ4red

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE w/ Sunroof
Well, there is this:

F.
For any Eligible Owner with an Eligible Vehicle that is Operable as of the date set by the Court for consumers to opt out of the Class Action or the Effective Date, whichever is earlier, but which ceases to be Operable before the vehicle can be brought in for a Buyback,upon submission of an Eligible Owner’s complete and valid claim application pursuant to Section XIII and surrender of all right, title, and interest in, and possession of, the Eligible Vehicle to Defendant at a Volkswagen Dealer (or other entity authorized by Defendant), Defendant shall pay Eligible Owner Non-Operable Restitution to the Eligible Owner. If an Eligible Owner does not possess title to the Eligible Vehicle, for title to the Eligible Vehicle to be transferred to Defendant, the Eligible Owner and Defendant must complete the steps required by Subsection G.1 and the claim application pursuant to Section XIII.

But I can't find anywhere what "Non-Operable Restitution" is.

And "Non Operable" by their definintion of "Operable", is

II.
Operable” means that the vehicle so described can be driven under its own 2.0*liter TDI engine power. A vehicle is not Operable if it had a branded title of “Assembled,” “Dismantled,” “Flood,” “Junk,” “Rebuilt,” “Reconstructed,” or “Salvaged” on September 18, 2015, and was acquired by any person or entityfrom a junkyard or salvage yard after September 18, 2015.

It does not, however, make any reference to appearance or condition. Apparently it just has to get there under its own power.
Guess I will be Fred Flintstone for a day. ;)

Justinw303

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG w/ Sunroof
Call me a wet paper bag, but this is a stupid idea. Act like adults, treat the cars as you normally would. I can't think of anything my immature than trashing a vehicle simply because you feel like you won't have to pay for the damage done.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Call me a wet paper bag, but this is a stupid idea. Act like adults, treat the cars as you normally would. I can't think of anything my immature than trashing a vehicle simply because you feel like you won't have to pay for the damage done.
If it's going to the crusher, what difference does it make?

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
If it's going to the crusher, what difference does it make?
They can probably sell them in Mexico. Their emissions will float right back up into California.

Guess I will be Fred Flintstone for a day. ;)
"can be driven under its own 2.0 liter TDI engine power"

You'll need a 1.0 liter bottle on each foot.

Last edited:

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
They can probably sell them in Mexico. Their emissions will float right back up into California.
No they can't. That's all been covered.......the judge made it clear that he wouldn't allow VW to just export our problem.

iowaparrish

TDI
2014 JSW Manual (sold back) 2015 GSW S Manual
This is in another thread, but for an administration that at least pays lip service to being green, the crushing terms of the settlement are anything but green. Lots of carbon footprint went into fabrication, manufacturing and delivery and there are lots of worse emitting vehicles on the road. Please consider signing this white house petition
seeking to introduce a TDI for clunkers program for low income people to swap TDIs for old vehicles at little or no cost.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/tdis-clunkers-make-vw-trade-out-fuel-efficient-tdis-cannot-be-fixed-worse-polluting-clunkers

It sticks it to VW by closing a market for new vehicles that crushing would otherwise create, and it improves the nation's fleet, at least by a little bit and won't cost the taxpayer a red cent (unlike the Cash for Clunkers fiasco of yore). Require VW to provide service/maintainence for at least 50k miles or so. Punish the company, not the car.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver

"can be driven under its own 2.0 liter TDI engine power"

You'll need a 1.0 liter bottle on each foot.
No cars will go to Mexico

More likely the crusher

....and door dings do not matter

freedomlives

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Transporter T5, 1999 Skoda Octavia I 1.9TDI
Pull every part you can from the car-- this is an excellent idea. Then fill some shipping containers and get those parts to central and eastern Europe!

When do they start buying back the cars? What would be the sort of monetary compensation necessary for you to strip everything not welded down that isn't needed for driving it to the dealer?

Odilatinam

TDI
2006 New Beetle / 2009 Jetta Sportwagen
This is in another thread, but for an administration that at least pays lip service to being green, the crushing terms of the settlement are anything but green. Lots of carbon footprint went into fabrication, manufacturing and delivery and there are lots of worse emitting vehicles on the road. Please consider signing this white house petition
seeking to introduce a TDI for clunkers program for low income people to swap TDIs for old vehicles at little or no cost.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/tdis-clunkers-make-vw-trade-out-fuel-efficient-tdis-cannot-be-fixed-worse-polluting-clunkers

It sticks it to VW by closing a market for new vehicles that crushing would otherwise create, and it improves the nation's fleet, at least by a little bit and won't cost the taxpayer a red cent (unlike the Cash for Clunkers fiasco of yore). Require VW to provide service/maintainence for at least 50k miles or so. Punish the company, not the car.
Signed. But I think this is not the right avenue. Wouldn't it be better to mass submit this to the courts as consumer feedback?

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Condition is a zero issue

MUST be able to drive it to the the dealer, or who ever

dings do not matter

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
As an extension of driving it to the dealer under its own power.. any idea whether things like tune/turbo/EGR deletes will matter? Based on the posted legal text I don't think it would.. but..

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Obviously, the environment is a low priority for those that want to sabotage their cars before selling it back. I'm surprised that you people even bought a TDI in the first place. Was it purely for selfish reasons of paying less for fuel? Seriously, why did you buy a TDI if you want to dump it after only a few years of ownership? Do you buy $5 bottled water at whole foods to be healthy and then burn the plastic in your backyard or something? I'm really perplexed by the sentiment of a lot of people on this forum.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
I say set one up for Chump racing or lemon like I run

run the thing for 2 years then let them buy it back. I own a 2009 with 250K on it so I will get like $7900 . It would be like VW paid me to race for 2 years.

tjsadler

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6m
I say set one up for Chump racing or lemon like I run

run the thing for 2 years then let them buy it back. I own a 2009 with 250K on it so I will get like $7900 . It would be like VW paid me to race for 2 years.
I LOVE this idea :D

Or simply write VW SUCKS in large bright orange spray painted letters shortly before showing up at the dealer. Seems like another rather large loophole for them to leave open...

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Except youde need to dump $3k into the car to run in Chump or Lemons for cage and safety equipment... I run Lemons.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Obviously, the environment is a low priority for those that want to sabotage their cars before selling it back. I'm surprised that you people even bought a TDI in the first place. Was it purely for selfish reasons of paying less for fuel? Seriously, why did you buy a TDI if you want to dump it after only a few years of ownership? Do you buy $5 bottled water at whole foods to be healthy and then burn the plastic in your backyard or something? I'm really perplexed by the sentiment of a lot of people on this forum.
Oh man.. Thanks for the laugh.

I bought mine because i can get over 300tq and 45mpg after I stripped off the EGR, Catalytic converter and DPF:)

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Oh man.. Thanks for the laugh.
I bought mine because i can get over 300tq and 45mpg after I stripped off the EGR, Catalytic converter and DPF:)

You're welcome!

I bought the car for similar reasons... performance, efficiency, function and design. I guess I was reacting to the disposable society we seem to be and how a car is now being treated as a disposable item. It seems like a waste of resources and manufacturing energy, to just crush the cars.

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
I would not plan on damaging either one of mine on purpose, 14 Passat SEL or 11 Golf but I do have winter rims with near bald tires, thinking of selling the active zenons on my 11 and my wifes 14 Passat got hit two weeks ago and we're getting around 4K from the other persons insurance company.