New Passat TDI confirmed for U.S.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Too bad about the green: I don't think VW has ever had a really good green, although the '96 Passat green was close. I don't know why they don't have more color variety. And why do they bother to have different shades of blue for the Sportwagen, Jetta, Golf, and Tiguan? I saw a Graphite Blue Sportwagen at a GTG recently and thought it was beautiful. Now that color blue is only available in the Golf.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Indeed, I'm happy to confirm that I'm wrong. I've spent some time perusing Servicebox (their online parts lookup) and yes, Eolys is currently in use- yet another variant of it tho, Eolys Powerflex.
Ditto. Thank you, Dobro for the enlightenment.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Must have been for testing purposes. I can't imagine it belonged to someone in the Foreign Office stationed overseas, it would be easier to sell it over there. Pity it is "for export only", otherwise I'd bid!

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
There's always one of the Greenland Polos - five 99 Polo Variant SDIs, owned by a contractor on Thule Air Base, and they got shipped with a bunch of junk to the US for resale, and the way they came in, they were legally in the US.

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Im planning on putting my deposit down this week for a Passat TDI in red.....and they are saying January for the delivery date....

:D

first VW
first diesel
first new car....

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
good luck! it'll be real intesting at how these new passats hold up and i hope they do, as i'd love to have one as well

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
good luck! it'll be real intesting at how these new passats hold up and i hope they do, as i'd love to have one as well
the wife and I have had the Jetta squarely in our sights for quite some time and were just about to pull the trigger when the Passat showed up at the dealership....

after the test drive, it was solidified. I like the Jetta, but I think the Passat is a MUCH nicer car for the money

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
the wife and I have had the Jetta squarely in our sights for quite some time and were just about to pull the trigger when the Passat showed up at the dealership....

after the test drive, it was solidified. I like the Jetta, but I think the Passat is a MUCH nicer car for the money
And the Golf is even nicer ;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Drove my M-B for the first time after having the Passat here last weekend. The Mercedes is slower, but not as much slower as I would have expected. The much stiffer accelerator (a M-B characteristic) makes it difficult to compare, and the Passat accelerator has relatively short travel, so you're giving it more pedal than you realize.

The Mercedes has significantly less wind and road noise. Some of that may be the Michelins on the M-B, but there is certainly less noise around the mirrors. But the M-B has more engine noise, for sure, and is turning 3000 RPM at 75 to boot.

I still think the Passat is nice, but I was surprised that the 18 year-old 300D didn't feel like an antique by comparison.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
One thing Lug_Nut and I noticed is that although the trunk is long, it's quite shallow and the opening is small. I don't think a room-sized air conditioner in a box would fit through the opening. I had the same problem with my Audi A4: the trunk was pretty spacious, but it was limited in what you could fit through the lid.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
A Lupo hybrid (1.2 liter 3 cylinder TDI plus electric) would be a Prius killer. VW could probably make the car with regular steel instead of aluminum with that drivetrain.

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Chevy Volt now -- sold '03 Jetta Wagon :-(
Agreed. It would also probably take business from the Honda Fit and other similar-sized cars.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Yes, for several years now. You can wake up from your dreams, a Lupo ain't gonna happen. The UP! concept may become a future Lupo, but you know how notoriously bad trying to crystal ball VWoA's intentions is...

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
When the Lupo is 15 years old though, it will be legal to import one into Canada. Should be easy to find a clean, low-mileage European Lupo. Mind you I think I'd prefer the Polo, a little more right-sized for me.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
Let's not forget the Lupo is out of production.
Who forgot?
TDIMeister said:
Yes, for several years now. You can wake up from your dreams, a Lupo ain't gonna happen. The UP! concept may become a future Lupo, but you know how notoriously bad trying to crystal ball VWoA's intentions is...
I know. The days of attractive cars are over. Everything has to look mean and goofy.

yuck

Last edited: