Mk5 Golf TDI 4motion AWD Question

riddleyo

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
Does anybody know what my options are in building a MK5 Golf with a TDI motor and 4 motion? Assuming I have the fabrication skills and $$$, how feasible are these options? I have seen MKIV R32 swaps, MKIV floor pan swaps, but I am specifically interested in the MK5 platform.

1.) MK5 R32 -> Swap in TDI motor, wiring, and 6 speed swap
2.) MK5 Golf -> Add 4motion parts from Audi TT, swap TDI engine (I've read the body pan has mount points in the rear for 4motion)
3.) ?

Thanks.

AnniBooster

TDI
1.6CR Skoda :( & ARL with 783s and GTB2260 :D
Mkv platform came with TDI 4motion option in Europe, might work out better to import or get parts from this side of the pond.

riddleyo

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
Thank you for the replies. Will be looking into everything.

Geoman, let me know if you ever get started on the project.

I'm dying of waiting for a diesel, all wheel drive, 6 speed wagon. Every year VW doesn't step up to the plate, I consider this swap more and more...

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
well riddleyo, I've gotten sick & tired of waiting. I've committed to the conversion. diesel8uUp is sourcing a complete mk5/6 dsg 4motion set-up from Europe & vdubtech(Brandon) is doing the install when it arrives. it'll be a bit pricey but I've still got a lot of life in the motor & w/365kms(& counting) I wouldn't get much for my jsw when an alltrack comes along in the $40k+(CDN$) range so i'll just make me one! sounds like mechanically everything should be straightforward & bolt-on w/maybe cutting into the spare wheel well. electricals will be the tricky part. i'll let you know when we get it going.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
I'm dying of waiting for a diesel, all wheel drive, 6 speed wagon. Every year VW doesn't step up to the plate, I consider this swap more and more...
Don't wait! It is too good :D

I bought mine already built. Cost me about $14,000CDN with only about 100K km on the clock.

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
well riddleyo diesel8uUp & gassernomore have sourced a complete set-up & hopefully it'll be here in 2-3 weeks! curiously(or should I say not surprisingly!)my wife is giving me a little grief over the expense which she says I could be using as payment on a new vehicle (eventually). I don't think she really get the whole 'diesel longevity' thing. she drives an awd tiguan w/snows on her 45min highway commute over the past 2 winters & admits that it is much more sure-footed than her prev Saturn vue fwd w/snows. I'll be having some of that highway & backroad assuredness soon & yes, I expect a drop in fuel econ.

riddleyo

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
Yea, we have a Subaru Forester and this winter it has already proven itself. No more getting stuck in our long driveway.

Cool beans geoman. Keep us updated on the progress, I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
just confirmed from diesel8uUp through gassernomore that stock front downpipe from mk 5 & 6 clear the driveshaft (so Brandon if u'r following...)
today we(stefan @ dcb) scanned & also confirmed that my 09 jsw doesn't have an anti-slip module(asr), only esp so that's another hurdle cleared regarding the part option from Europe. abs module will accompany tranny on the trip. harnesses are already here. excitement builds...

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
well riddlyo, as I said before, we've got all the parts. I've decided to wait till the fall to do the install unless Brandon from dcb gets some time in the late summer. so it'll be quiet for a bit. I should also state that my jsw is dsg equipped but there are def more folks working on 6sp 4mo conversions.

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
riddleyo, its been a long time since I've posted anything but work is finally underway. the rear diff and tank were installed by Stephane from DCB automotive(he's moving back to Portugal with his wife & toddler any day now), driveshafts & ripping out the interior for wire harness are this weekend's project by Brandon @DCB.
As a precaution, i asked Brandon to replace the dual mass flywheel as i didn't want to take any chances w/430,000kms on the original.
i'll ask Stephane & Brandon to post any relevant pics.

R-TDIGR

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF TDI
So guys. How did this end up?
I am doing a mk5 R32 - TDI swap at the moment and could really use some feedback.