2015 Phase 1 program results

jcart

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDi Malone Stage 2, Rawtek.
Anyone done the Phase 1 reprogram recall and if so any difference in power, fuel and/or addblue consumption?

Thanks,

jrc

jcart

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Tomo366, I should done a search, albeit I did have an ocular scan and didn't see much in this section...

Thanx again.

j

jcart

Veteran Member
TDI
So have driven a bunch of Kms, some fast.... some normal. I noticed right away the clutch engagement (throttle response) off idle is nicer and there appears to be (SOP) increased low end torque. With 3 passengers (16 year old soccer wenches) and me, noticeable power loss in the upper gears like 5th and 6th compared to pre-phase 1 I'm thinking. Fuel delivery seems to not increase much over 13 litres / 100 Kms when mashing the peddle in 5 and 6th almost seems fuel restricted. Low end seems like it will run to 30-35 Litres / 100 Kms and pulls harder than prior to phase 1. Fuel economy has gone down a little I'd say meaning 4.8-5.0 (pre) increased to 5.1 to 5.8. Not sure on AdBlue yet guessing consumption may be more although not sure yet.

Still a fun car.

j

CastIronJSW

TDI
2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 1/2017); 2015 Jetta SEL TDI 6M (1st Stage Fix 2/2017)
I have had five fill-ups so far since the fix - here are my observations:

1. The engine runs a little quieter and a little smoother
2. In town mileage is about the same, maybe slightly better
3. Highway mileage is 2% to 5% better (calculated - not MFI)
4. Power curve is a little bit different, but not very noticeable
5. Regens are much less frequent
6. I don't know about Adblue usage rate
7. I am so glad I didn't sell it!

Jibeho

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
I think they changed the shift points in the DSG programming. I find myself using sport mode more now around town.

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
Phase II Emissions modified 2015 Golf TDI S SportWagen
we're satisfied with the mileage, performance, and most certainly the 2/3rd settlement payment for Phase 1 - our GSW DSG TDI wagen seems fine...

as others have reported:

1. mileage is same or better
2. smoother off the line
3. performance (acceleration) seems same
4. no apparent engine noise difference for our vehicle
5. fewer regens (but we'll see what develops this summer in 90F+ temps)

willie
on the smile-with-every-VW-mile Gulf of Mexico

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Ok - so we had the Phase I (Sw update) done on our 2015 Golf right when it became available.. Car has been fine since then - running good, no significant change in MPG, etc. Today, at 28800 miles we have FINALLY seen the "Low DEF" warning - refill in 1500 Miles. So my guess is that the car is probably using more DEF than before the fix.

Just reporting for peoples knowledge.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Ok - so we had the Phase I (Sw update) done on our 2015 Golf right when it became available.. Car has been fine since then - running good, no significant change in MPG, etc. Today, at 28800 miles we have FINALLY seen the "Low DEF" warning - refill in 1500 Miles. So my guess is that the car is probably using more DEF than before the fix.

Just reporting for peoples knowledge.
Thanks to you and all other reports:)

Bump

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Just throwing this out there....

You think that if there was software that made the cars WAY Better, AND were better for the environment... WHY DID VW CHEAT?????

There is CLEARLY a reason why the cars were made non compliant in the first place, and for one, am fairly confident that is wasn't because VW was lazy and just didn't want to create better software.

I'm also fairly confident that the new software will greatly impact the hardware elements of the emissions systems, hence why hardware is part of the fix.

You cannot make one part of a closed system 'better' without making some part 'worse'...

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Just throwing this out there....

You think that if there was software that made the cars WAY Better, AND were better for the environment... WHY DID VW CHEAT?????

There is CLEARLY a reason why the cars were made non compliant in the first place, and for one, am fairly confident that is wasn't because VW was lazy and just didn't want to create better software.

I'm also fairly confident that the new software will greatly impact the hardware elements of the emissions systems, hence why hardware is part of the fix.

You cannot make one part of a closed system 'better' without making some part 'worse'...
But the warrenty and the fact they will be replacing the "wear parts" of the emissions system midlife for free is a HUGE thing. No fix, I bet they were hoping to make the parts last. But now, they must work, and if they don't​, VW pays. Yes, the standards are SLIGHTLY less for the 2015 cars that they were supposed too meet new, no cheat. Actually the improvement is pretty slight vs pre scandal.
Biggest change is 15-20 more DEF usage according to VW, and this brings DEF use more in line with other diesels that use DEF.
IMO the original choice of keeping the DEF use so low was simply marketing. They didn't want anything​ that would make people feel the car was not like it's gas powered version.
Honestly, adding DEF on a 2015 is a simple thing if you go to a location with DEF pumps. Cheap too.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
But the warrenty and the fact they will be replacing the "wear parts" of the emissions system midlife for free is a HUGE thing. No fix, I bet they were hoping to make the parts last.
But now, they must work, and if they don't​, VW pays. Yes, the standards are SLIGHTLY less for the 2015 cars that they were supposed too meet new, no cheat. Actually the improvement is pretty slight vs pre scandal.

Biggest change is 15-20 more DEF usage according to VW, and this brings DEF use more in line with other diesels that use DEF.
IMO the original choice of keeping the DEF use so low was simply marketing. They didn't want anything​ that would make people feel the car was not like it's gas powered version.
Honestly, adding DEF on a 2015 is a simple thing if you go to a location with DEF pumps. Cheap too.

I was-am in the hopper for a buyback.

But after searching for a suitable replacement, I have reopened the possibility of the FIX.

One negative point on getting a new replacement, is the cost of a new TT&L
With the FIX thee is no (new) TT&L issue.

Hoping you get the added BOSCH $350 added to the first 2/3 check.. That would raise my (2/3) from $4,466 to $4,816 ~~ Extrapolating to include the benefit of no TT&L ~~ I come up with 'bout $5,725

Main reason I am in flux about BB vs FIX is I can't find a really satisfying replacement unit at a price I want to pay:mad:

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
The Bosch settlement is separate; you get a separate check for that whenever it comes. It isn't part of, or rolled into, any of the VW settlement payments.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
I was-am in the hopper for a buyback.
But after searching for a suitable replacement, I have reopened the possibility of the FIX.
One negative point on getting a new replacement, is the cost of a new TT&L
With the FIX thee is no (new) TT&L issue.
Hoping you get the added BOSCH $350 added to the first 2/3 check.. That would raise my (2/3) from $4,466 to $4,816 ~~ Extrapolating to include the benefit of no TT&L ~~ I come up with 'bout $5,725
Main reason I am in flux about BB vs FIX is I can't find a really satisfying replacement unit at a price I want to pay:mad:
My choice became simple...I just had to be honest with myself.
It was the right car when I bought it...The free $$ just made it better.
And a 2015 is actually now better with the fix...
Fewer fears of problems...Great free warrenty, and car could be argued is SLIGHTLY better in HP/TQ from dyno tests.
I took the $$, and know I have a car I like, low fuel costs, longer warrenty than when I bought it, and a total of 4 checks...The $1000, the first fix $, the second fix and the bosh $. More than makes it the cheapest new car ever.

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If I take the FIX

Counting all the benefits, I come up with a corrected figure

BOSCH $350

VW BB $ 6,700

NO TT&L on new replacement ~ $900-ish

Insurance MODs - unknown

$7,950-ish ~~ Plus the benefit of a warranty, with past though to next owner(s)

IMO, that is worth hundreds to the next owner(s) ~~ resulting in a better resale figure for me, when I do sell it