2016 TDI SEL GSW 6mt

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
Finally got around to taking some photos, hopefully I learned how to post them correctly.

This is my 2016 TDI SEL GSW 6mt which I purchased recently here in Mexico.
As you can see, it is a US spec car which was never delivered to the USA.

Many upgrades planned, starting tomorrow with the installation of a Curt hitch. Should be interesting with the DAP sensors.

I've already learned a lot from this forum, thanks !

Swapped 18" rims for 16's

Rear SEL emblems

DAP & Bi Xenons

Dash in MPH

Apple car play with USB input

Heated sport seats

Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Wow, that is very very interesting. Thanks for continuing to share with us in here. :)

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Installed Curt hitch this morning...my back is sore !

Overall installation went smooth except instruction say only 4motions need valence cutout...wrong

The dap sensors were all connected with one plug, easy

Thankfully the trailer wiring harness is much simpler for 2016's, but I haven't run the power wire to the front yet ( enough bending over for today )

Last edited:

viking427

Veteran Member
TDI
VW
..seems a shame to have that ~4 us gal. " reserve" tank just sitting there empty - run a balance hose to your main tank and bump your range another 200 miles ;)

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
..seems a shame to have that ~4 us gal. " reserve" tank just sitting there empty - run a balance hose to your main tank and bump your range another 200 miles ;)
Yes, I started a "alternate use for Adblue tank" thread a while back, but it's pretty far down the list of things to do.

The cap is "tamper proof", will need to be cut off when I get around to it.

Last edited:

dieselpwr

TDI
04 GOLF PD, 15 GSW SEL TDI
I guess that explains what happen to the 16's that were supposedly at the port when dieselgate hit. I passed on a 2015 and was waiting for a 16 to get the carplay.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the compliments!

Just about to leave for a 700 km road trip...one tank ;)

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Gee. Nothing but a few dumb regulations and laws between us and those AWESOME TDIs.

AND.. Amarok 4Motion TDI with three pedals is for sale on this North American continent! And vans too. Aahhh... Mexico!

Stupid. Makes me feel dumb.

Last edited:

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Gee. Nothing but a few dumb regulations and laws between us and those AWESOME TDIs.

AND.. Amarok 4Motion TDI with three pedals is for sale on this North American continent! And vans too. Aahhh... Mexico!

Stupid. Makes me feel dumb.
I've been drooling over the manual tranny TDI 4x4 Amarok with the low gear transfer case..if only they offered they that drive line in the Tiguan or Atlas..A pickup just doesn't work for me.

I don't know if they currently build the Amarok with the EA288 engine...it is one sweet motor !

Just returned from a 700km trip. I was planning on cruising at 80, but then a 1.6 TDI "Vento" ( built in India ) decided to run, and before I knew it I was cruising at 100 mph then for a while at 140 with a Mercedes. Still did it in one tank !

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Just returned from a 700km trip. I was planning on cruising at 80, but then a 1.6 TDI "Vento" ( built in India ) decided to run, and before I knew it I was cruising at 100 mph then for a while at 140 with a Mercedes. Still did it in one tank !

Damn, you must have a tune. I'm pretty sure that in stock tune, vw's are speed limited to ~124 mph. Fast enough for my needs. :D

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Damn, you must have a tune. I'm pretty sure that in stock tune, vw's are speed limited to ~124 mph. Fast enough for my needs. :D

Correction...was tired last night when I posted and miscalculated . My GF wanted to go 200km and so that's what I was focusing on, didn't bother to look at the mph while at that speed ..Yes, I think it is still limited to 124, and that is plenty fast for me too

No tune yet...

Last edited:

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
Hi mxtdiguy!
Seems like a great deal in Mexico on those 2016 TDIs!
I am confused: why no add blue needed there?
That means these cars can't be imported/registered in USA?
Thanks, ML

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi mxtdiguy!
Thanks, ML
Yes, unbelievably good deals on the few that are left.

I'm sure it would take an act of you know who to import one into the US, but I can and will drive mine up there for extended periods of time.

Not exactly sure why they eliminated the Adblue, because I have seen it for sale here.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Hi mxtdiguy!
Thanks, ML
You cannot get a Mexican title registered in the US if EPA (or Department of Transportation) has the model on a list of "approved" for USA sale vehicles. I admit that I do not know which law applies, but NO!! NO!! NO!!!

As I have stated on another post, it is like seeing a perfect surf and turf dinner (or fill in your favorite gourmet meal) sitting on a table, steaming with a bottle of wine next to it, on MARS! Made of that elusive material...Unobtainium!

Like my son says.. It sucks

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Some changes since last pictures

Spaccers spacers installed

Side profile after lift

Rear Emmanual design spacers and TT spring pads and shock bump stops

Trimbrite bodyguard tape and oem mud flaps

IPS

$40 ebay tail pipe tips

Black mirror caps and black window trim tape

Black emblems sans SEL

Last edited:

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Took it to the dealer this morning for an alignment and even after the 24mm lift everything was in the green except for the front right was a tiny bit toe out.

Loving the ride !

I passed another GSW TDi, and it sure looked low !

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
When I did my 1" lift they said everything should be fine still alignment wise. At 2" it would be out some. Glad you like it.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Where did you find the cool bicycle sticker for the rear?

hause

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
MK4 Golf Tdi... all souped up also a MK7 Sportwagen on its way to greatness
How are the spacers holding up, where can these be purchased? The spring pads need replaced as well?

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
How are the spacers holding up, where can these be purchased? The spring pads need replaced as well?

So far no issues at all. Just returned from a long trip with plenty of bumps, potholes etc.

I bought them from this vendor on ebay Germany:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Hoherlegung...412015?hash=item3b084e2eef:g:7ssAAOSwR0JUTV2H

He claims to have credit with Spaccer, but I think it may be a backdoor way for them to sell more spacers at a discount. He will sell them for 30% less than directly from www.Spaccer.de

I ordered a total of four, but received six for some reason.

His English is not the best but he will follow through with the order.

Note that Spaccer custom makes spacers for the springs that they will be used on, so if they are going on gsw springs like I did, they will need a vin# for the car that matches the springs.

I didn't have to change anything up front, same upper spring seat.

The method I used for installing them was in the "McGyver" category, but it worked.

No reason to use Spaccers at the rear since there are much cheaper options there.

Last edited: