Fuel tank size?????

jimbobb2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
I see a lot of people posting 16+ gallon fill ups in the late model Jettas. My book says the tank holds 14.5 gallons. How are you getting another gallon and a half or more than full in the tank? I know you vent it and the filler neck is worth some, but surely not that much. Maybe I dont have enough guts to run it down that low?

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
search function is your friend.

But since I'm already typing here, yes, the filler neck IS that large. Somewhere between 1.5 and 2 gallons, if you've done the ventectomy. Very handy having that much more fuel on board.

RiceEater

Veteran Member
TDI
gray 2k2 Jetta GLS
Do you think maybe that it is a gasoline tank used for diesel? Maybe it is not the filler neck so much as the provisions for evaporative emission controls?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
New TDIs do not have a vent, therefore a ventectomy is no longer an option. I'm not certain exactly what year this change occured, but I do know that on 2009+ cars you cannot do a ventectomy. The most fuel I've ever put into my '09 is 14.1 gallone (US) and I would have filled up sooner if I found a station selling diesel fuel sooner.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
The 99.6-2005 Jetta and Golf, as well as the 98-2006 New Beetle, use the A4 chassis, and those did use the same fuel tank as the gas models used. On the diesels, the filler neck vent is useless since diesel fuel doesn't expand and vaporise like gasoline does. You can take the guts out of the vent housing, and it helps to use the full volume of the tank better, which is actually about 17 gallons. The reason it was rated at 14.5 was to allow for expansion of the liquid fuel.

solartempest

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
Plus 3 Golfer said:
So, I'd say one would be lucky to squeeze a few tenth of a gallon over the 14.5 gallons stated capacity by filling up to the brim of the filler neck.
I have put 14.5 gallons (54.8L) into my tank going a few inches down from the top of the filler neck without pushing it at all. Several times, I have easily gone between 14 and 14.5 gallons.
I suspect the tank can hold close to 15 gallons (57L) to the top of the filler neck.

The most I have pushed it was 107 mi (172km) past the low fuel light. I filled 10L and drove another 30km before I filled the entire tank.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
The '09's have a vent, it's just permanently open. Fuel tanks have to be vented, otherwise you'd be creating a vacuum as you drive along and consume fuel.

Qship

TDI
02 Jetta TDI
lovemybug said:
The 99.6-2005 Jetta and Golf, as well as the 98-2006 New Beetle, use the A4 chassis, and those did use the same fuel tank as the gas models used. On the diesels, the filler neck vent is useless since diesel fuel doesn't expand and vaporise like gasoline does. You can take the guts out of the vent housing, and it helps to use the full volume of the tank better, which is actually about 17 gallons. The reason it was rated at 14.5 was to allow for expansion of the liquid fuel.
I have an ALS MKIV. How do I take the "guts" out of the vent tank?

Tom Brown

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
I love the range of my 01 Golf. If the fuel tank were much larger, they'd have made refulling part of the service interval maintenance. lol!

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
You should find it easier to top off your tank now that you have the vent guts taken out. :D

It will also help for being more consistent on your fill-ups for tracking fuel mileage.

analogue_nut

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagon
2010 tdi gas tank

Greetings - my wife and I just bought a '10 TDI Sportwagon, so I'm still learning where all the fuel stops are in around the Wichita, KS area. While running errands at lunch last week I almost ran it down to nothing. My range was shown at 5 miles, when I finally spotted the friendly green diesel sign about 2 blocks away. It took 14.67 gallons to fill it up. Don't want to repeat that any time soon!!!