Vw jetta tdi air filter

dqman01

TDI
(2) 2011 jetta tdi w/nav
Just had my two 2011 jettas serviced for the 40,000 mile service.the dealership only recommended to replace the air filter on only one of my cars,should I have the other jettas air filter replaced?is it a DIY job that I can tackle or has anyone have any tips on how to do it myself?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Just had my two 2011 jettas serviced for the 40,000 mile service.the dealership only recommended to replace the air filter on only one of my cars,should I have the other jettas air filter replaced?is it a DIY job that I can tackle or has anyone have any tips on how to do it myself?
It's easy. All you need are some metric Allen wrenches. I think it is a 7mm (IIRC). You loosen a couple of screws, lift off the air box cover, pull out the old filter and stick in the new one. Put the cover back on and tighten the Allen screws. That's all.

Have Fun!

Don

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Read your maintenance schedule. IDK but have heard that the replacement interval has been changed to 60K miles.

If you do need to change the air filter, it is a very easy 10 minute job with nothing more than a Phillips screwdriver.

IDK about the Allen wrench thing, but on my 2006, it is something like 6 Phillips screws to replace the air filter with an Allen wrench only needed to remove the entire air cleaner box.

Last edited:

Trimmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG
My 2010 is like 6-8 phillips head screw. Took me longer to find the phillips head bit for 1/4" impact (was doing a complete service and my work bench was full of tool) then it did to change the filter.

kcunniff

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS BEW (5spd)
Read your maintenance schedule. IDK but have heard that the replacement interval has been changed to 60K miles.
Even so, it never hurts to have clean filters. I am not sure how the air quality in Huntley, IL is, but I would gather it's pretty low in particulates (dust). Point being: dustier locales require more frequent air filter changes compared with less dustier locales. If you often drive on unpaved rural roads, you could be kicking up dust or driving behind someone who is, and this has the same effect. 40,000 miles seems like high time to change an important air filter, in my opinion.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Air filters are cheap, I'd do it at 40kmi or sooner. They're not tough to do, give it a shot.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The increased the interval to 60k (up from 40k) probably because much of the time the air coming into the engine is coming in via one of the two EGR systems.

No need to replace it early, and on the ice-cube's-chance-in-Texas that it was actually clogged up, you'd have a MAF error and the ECU would know something was up.