Cams installation

larryejoh

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
I removed my head on my 2012 Passat TDI due to the water pump seizing and taking out the timing belt. I can't find any information online in the correct timing between the exhaust and intake cams. I can't find any marks on the two gears.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Have you tried alldatadiy.com? They should have the correct procedures for you based on your vehicle

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Pictures please! would love to see the workings of the ckra head as its pretty much the beta to the ea288

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
After skimming the service manual, there are no marks as such. VW relies in several special tools that lock the pulleys in position.

Yours
Vern

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
No need for any tool, its really easy even without.
1 camshaft must be on the horizontal and the other one has a canal that must be on vertical on the other side of cyl. head.
I'll take photos tomorrow.

Last edited:

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
Well, according to the manual it's impossible without a bunch of special tools. The intake cam gear is split for anti-backlash, so the fixture clamps the two cams together so you can install them in the bearings. Dire warnings about ruining the bearings if you don't toe the line.

Yours
Vern

larryejoh

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
I've seen the one you are talking about on line. Mine only have two separate gears one on each cam. It doesn't have that two piece gears.