President Trump may rescind a few EPA rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I never understood why people bought those new when the Nissan dealer was selling the Pathfinder for so much less, even the tarted up trim level. At least those looked better than the vomit inducing SUVs Infiniti now has at their lot. Gosh, they just get uglier and uglier as time goes on.
I think Nissan's designers are on some special meds. I don't quite understand it. Same goes for some Lexus designs IMHO. But do not forget. Back in the late 1950s remember how some Studebakers, DeSotos and Chrysler Imperials looked in that period. Holy Toledo! Top on my ugly list was the '58 Packard Hawk and 61 DeSoto.

Last edited:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
CARB is a bunch of imbeciles that overregulate everything they touch. A far gentler regulatory touch will have exactly the same positive effect.

Oilerlord

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI w/DSG. 700 Mile Club. 2008 BMW X3 "Beatrice", 2004 BMW 330Xi, 2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric
Sure hope we see CARB compliant diesels or our cities will be as polluted as London. I live in a smog ridden city. I treat kids and seniors suffocating in it. That's why regulations are necessary. They have saved the well being of millions. If you don't like CARB, guess you don't watch your kid trying to breath. Enjoy your smoggy cars with President Trump, just hope you don't have to take your grandkids to the ER to be intubated.
Dude: Chill. You're raising your blood pressure. Heart attacks kill people.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Auto class diesel cars have not been sold in the US in any numbers in over 3 decades!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/17/...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Sure hope we see CARB compliant diesels or our cities will be as polluted as London. I live in a smog ridden city. I treat kids and seniors suffocating in it. That's why regulations are necessary. They have saved the well being of millions. If you don't like CARB, guess you don't watch your kid trying to breath. Enjoy your smoggy cars with President Trump, just hope you don't have to take your grandkids to the ER to be intubated.
I am sorry but this is just a bunch of unsupported by reality anywhere whooy! Auto class diesels exist in such low numbers we could go back to pre-1992 auto class diesel emissions regs for a decade at least before enough of these would exist to start to maybe effect a little air. And in reality auto class diesels like the one's the EPA & CARB have gone after will likely never exist in enough numbers anywhere in the US over the next decade or so even if they were put back to pre-1992 levels to ever have a measurable effect on air quality!!!

.Also both the EPA & CARB have in recent years come out with on the ground collected emissions data saying the real polluters today & for the last three decades are not diesels, but have always been unregulated nor measured today gasoline engine produced Ultra-Fine PMs!!!!

Facts & reality should matter when it comes to passing or enforcing emissions regulations....

FACT based on reality.....the current ridiculously useless over zealous stupid politically not science in any way based auto class diesel engine'd emissions on non-existent cars were never about cleaner air anywhere in the US!!!!That is since no one has sold these auto class offering in the US in any numbers since 1985 Model year!!!!

Where was all of this cleaner air supposed to come from when these stupid useless rules were passed on non-existent for over three decades now auto class diesels!!! Your posted link is BS not based on reality on ground anywhere today!!!

You really want cleaner air:"? Demand we require PM traps on all gasoline engine'd vehicle, that will really give us cleaner air getting rid of the real pollution today which does kill americans every day....

Putting real regulations that will reduce what EPA & CARB study data has said for close to three decades now are what are causing cancer & breathing health issues which lead to real deaths.....

EPA & CARB collected real study data that says these mega-tons gasoline engine produced annually Ultra-Fine PMs, pollution that is only today produced by gasoline powered vehicles are a real measurable today health issue!!!

!!!...Facts matter...!!!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think Nissan's designers are on some special meds. I don't quite understand it. Same goes for some Lexus designs IMHO. But do not forget. Back in the late 1950s remember how some Studebakers, DeSotos and Chrysler Imperials looked in that period. Holy Toledo! Top on my ugly list was the '58 Packard Hawk and 61 DeSoto.

No special meds. They are under the influence of the French, the country that has a century's worth of producing some off-the-wall automotive ideas. Some good (Michelin's radial ply tires, Renault's Espace), some not so good (Renault Avantime, Citroen's goofy pneumatic steering/suspension in the DS).

Nissan is majority owned by Renault, which is likely why so many newer Nissan products are styled so awful.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
You can blame all the wine then!

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
If EPA regulations for light duty passenger car emissions are rolled back to a point where VW could have passed (assuming the defeat device is resolved), VW should sue the EPA back; fix, recondition and resell the TDIs sitting at the Pontiac Silverdome stadium and get back offering TDIs again. :)

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
If EPA regulations for light duty passenger car emissions are rolled back to a point where VW could have passed (assuming the defeat device is resolved), VW should sue the EPA back; fix, recondition and resell the TDIs sitting at the Pontiac Silverdome stadium and get back offering TDIs again. :)
No legal eagle here - :rolleyes:

WAG could give it a shot

IMO a waste of WAG funds

CAL and CARB would step in and squash it anyway - :D

evantful

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2016 Golf SE TSI
RotaryKid,

Your argument is just as weak as the one your raging against that ssamlin made with that NYTimes article.

To sum up your rant:
1) You find that the EPA's and CARB's auto diesel emission regulations are over zealous
2) You make this statement because diesel as a proportion of American cars is insignificant.
3) Thus Desiels should go back to pre-1992 emission standards, while gas engines should have to meet the most stringent emissions standards and include particle filters.

How about we just create a level playing field and both car class gas and diesel engines meet the same requirements. And Im all for Particle for filters for both.

oilhammer

TDI
How about we just create a level playing field and both car class gas and diesel engines meet the same requirements. And Im all for Particle for filters for both.
That would be fine, except that it would/could never really happen. The two fuels/engines are vastly different to the point that they are at opposing ends in many respects.

Diesels, by their very nature, can run FAR leaner than any gasoline engine ever could. Ever. So NOx will ALWAYS be problematic, but fuel consumption will ALWAYS be stellar and the CO, CO2, HC, and all the rest will be very, very low. Even with no catalyst because there simply isn't anything left to catalyze if they are able to run at their leanest.

Gasoline engines do not have much trouble with NOx, because they are simply burning so much more fuel they gobble up all the free oxygen. But that fuel gobbling means they will ALWAYS use more fuel, and they cannot ever overcome the losses of excess heat generated that go right out the tailpipe.

This is of course all moot since EVs are going to replace both of them, whether we want them, need them, or can even use them. Lots of people who could use them won't. And some of us that can't (at least not with the current tech) won't, but we also don't feel like feeding some gas guzzling pig all the time.

It would make more sense to exploit the benefits of each for the interim. Maybe NOx regulations could be relaxed on cars that get 50+ MPG. Why should a 50 MPG Golf be expected to run cleaner than a Harley Davidson that gets 35 MPG? Yet that is exactly what is happening. Absurd. In the mean time, the F150 remains the top selling vehicle in this country.

I am not really worried, I am stashing up enough high MPG diesels that I will able to bridge the gap until something better comes along or I am dead of old age, whichever comes first.

Last edited:

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
political based not science based witch hunt against all auto class diesel offerings

RotaryKid,
Your argument is just as weak as the one your raging against that ssamlin made with that NYTimes article.
To sum up your rant:
1) You find that the EPA's and CARB's auto diesel emission regulations are over zealous
2) You make this statement because diesel as a proportion of American cars is insignificant.
3) Thus Desiels should go back to pre-1992 emission standards, while gas engines should have to meet the most stringent emissions standards and include particle filters.

simple answer, gasoline engine'd vehicles outnumber auto class diesel offerings today and for the last three decades 1,000,000 to ONE! the real pollution then and today related to auto class fleet comes from gasoline engine'd vehicles so they must have regulations to deal with the real pollution they DO PRODUCE!!!!

FACTS MATTER!!! Nothing will ever be gained from the current emissions over-regulation of non-existent nor sold in the US since 1985 model year auto class diesels!!!

The current BS politically not science based going after VWAG over the minuscule numbers of these almost non-existent in our fleet compared to gasoline powered offerings sold today was not a thing to do with cleaner air.... but was always a politically based not science based in any way when it comes to giving us cleaner air effort to make sure these fuel sipping cars are never sold here in any real numbers!!!

evantful

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2016 Golf SE TSI
RotaryKid,

Your argument doesn't factor in market change.

It easy to say "Diesels only occupy this X-amount of the market so they should have massively reduced emissions regulation".

The problem is if a modern diesel car, with massively reduced emissions regulation, had to compete against a modern gasoline engine, with massively increased emission regulation, theres a high probability you would begin to see a market shift towards diesels.

A diesel car might be much closer to initial price parity and the overall Fuel efficency difference would be much greater. So thus as was the case in Europe for many years, theres a high probability that diesel cars would occupy a much greater share of the market, if not dominate it.

What would the end result be in all of this? Massively increased emissions from diesel cars.

So the issue is your "facts" don't account for any kind of market change. So lets quit it with some of this political conspiracy against diesels garbage. Because if you want to talk "Facts", then you can't talk unfounded political conspiracy.

I grew up in up state New York. I can drive through dozens of former major industrial cities and towns: Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, virtually the entire Erie Canal/Hudson River belt and can't begin to count the superfund sites that exist. Our creation and consumption comes at a price, a price that in most cases is not paid by the companies that created it decades earlier, but by the tax payers, in the magnitude of billions of dollars, who are left to deal with the aftermath long after those companies no longer exist. So lets not pity VAG for purposely breaking the law. As Donald Trump said "We are a nation of laws".

OilHammer, thanks for your feedback. You're certainly right thats its not as easy to try and simply level the playing field, I just have to imagine a calculation could be made that can account for the fuel burned/fuel efficiency, CO2, particle matter, NOx, etc emitted, etc to create a point of "general emissions competitiveness". And like you said, its all moot because the F-150, and the Silverado/Sierra Twins occupy 1,2,3.

Last edited:

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
Even if the diesel car market exploded, there's another big chunk of polluters your not mentioning - the oil exploration, extraction, refining and delivery of fuel to your local station. If everyone drove a TDI, and they were 30% more efficient than the average vehicle, you'd see a 30% (or more) drop in all the pollutants from those sources. Seems like it would more than make up for a little spewing from the tailpipes of the TDI's. Especially because you'd be eliminating the majority of gasoline engines and their pollutants as well.

oilhammer

TDI
There are so many things that fall into the projected or what not levels of pollution and impact to the environment. Unless you have some parallel universe to draw comparisons with, a lot of it is difficult to say. There are so many things that "being human" paints as a bad thing in general that the only for sure fact that cannot be argued is that if you are born and live here, you are in some way doing harm to the planet. :(

So trying to at least make decisions in your individual lives that at least lessen your impact is all you can hope for. There are SO many other things I see that make no real sense yet they continue to happen. I'm guilty of that, too.

But I have personally seen, and continue to see, regulatory decisions that have a kernel of good intention but end up creating no real stride forward or worse, a step backward, that ultimately end in a net zero gain towards their intended goal. Targeting hyper efficient cars over grossly inefficient ones is just one example. But when the motoring populace is currently once again smitten with cheap fuel costs, who cares about that?

Aside from car geeks such as myself, our society in general has some strange addiction to automobiles that quite often does not make much rational sense.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Even if the diesel car market exploded, there's another big chunk of polluters your not mentioning - the oil exploration, extraction, refining and delivery of fuel to your local station. If everyone drove a TDI, and they were 30% more efficient than the average vehicle, you'd see a 30% (or more) drop in all the pollutants from those sources. Seems like it would more than make up for a little spewing from the tailpipes of the TDI's. Especially because you'd be eliminating the majority of gasoline engines and their pollutants as well.
Thank you sir! By looking at the most holistic study we have so far in the USA the gasoline and gasoline-hybrids ICE vehicles are still environmentally more costly than modern diesel passenger cars (legally sold in the US). What will close the gap between them then?

Here is an updated graphic comparing various vehicle technologies and fuels using the latest version of the GREET model (GREET_2016 which was released just a few weeks ago - https://greet.es.anl.gov/ ).

The gasoline vehicle technology is listed as "SIDI (E10)" on the graphic.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Thank you sir! By looking at the most holistic study we have so far in the USA the gasoline and gasoline-hybrids ICE vehicles are still environmentally more costly than modern diesel passenger cars (legally sold in the US). What will close the gap between them then?
Just adding that in the chart above, a cheating commonrail TDI would probably fall under "Diesel no SCR," not regular "Diesel."

I'd also like to see PHEVs get broken down further by energy type (California mix, NGCC and solar). Just like diesel drivers have a choice of fuel (regular diesel, biodiesel, renewable diesel), EV and PHEV drivers have energy choices.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
Just adding that in the chart above, a cheating commonrail TDI would probably fall under "Diesel no SCR," not regular "Diesel."

I'd also like to see PHEVs get broken down further by energy type (California mix, NGCC and solar). Just like diesel drivers have a choice of fuel (regular diesel, biodiesel, renewable diesel), EV and PHEV drivers have energy choices.
A quick calculation using GREET, I get the following:

1.63 cents/VMT (NGCC)
1.66 cents/VMT (California)
1.63 cents/VMT (Solar Charging)

That's using the default settings in GREET except for using emissions generated in well drilling/infrastructure and electric generation infrastructure, including emission generated in manufacturing solar panels.

That's also using the European damage factors, which provide separate damage factors for rural vs urban emissions.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
You're on top of things, Loren. I'm always impressed. :)

So that puts a PHEV right in line with a full EV?

Last edited:

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
You're on top of things, Loren. I'm always impressed. :)

So that puts a PHEV right in line with a full EV?
Thanks Lawson.

A better graphic with which to compare is this (since it also used the European damage factors rather than EPA's):

VeeDubTDI

TDI
To what can we attribute the significant difference in EV damage costs between the two charts? Are the Euro vs EPA numbers that different?

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
The Euro damages are separated into "urban" and "rural" damage factors. Most electric generation emissions are rural, and the damage factors are generally much lower for rural emissions than urban emissions (GREET calculates urban emissions and total emissions for each vehicle technology and fuel pathway).

The EPA damage factors are just an overall average, although direct PM and NOx emissions from the vehicles themselves are given a higher damage factor than upstream PM and NOx emissions.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Well maybe to a certain degree for NOx but the DPF is still there so PM would be better than a corresponding gasoline vehicle, correct?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Well maybe to a certain degree for NOx but the DPF is still there so PM would be better than a corresponding gasoline vehicle, correct?
That depends on whether or not DPFs are linked with SCR in the GREET models.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
The default PM2.5 values in GREET are 0.010 grams/mile (diesel) and 0.009 grams/mile (gasoline). That includes 0.005 grams/mile PM2.5 from brake and tire wear for each.

In reality, PM2.5 from diesel with fully-functional DPF would be about an order-of-magnitude lower than gasoline. I suspect GREET takes into account the small percentage of tampered or otherwise disabled DPFs.

Last edited:

Deepwater6

TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium
If this is correct, and he follows thru, it may be that a large number of regulations, including environmental regulations which are applicable to diesel emissions, will be rescinded by executive fiat, and perhaps, with Congressional legislation:

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/23/trum...-regulations-by-75-percent-or-maybe-more.html

I don't believe Trump has the power to shut down the EPA and change laws without a massive fight on his hands. It will be delayed for years until they can get rid of him through the impeachment process. Trump is taking us back to the 1970's and most don't like it, me included.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Most? My fat hairy white butt! I'm elated with what he is doing (as are pretty much everyone I know) . . . and the EPA was created by Nixon via EO, and despite it's overreach, can die by reversal of same . . .

Last edited:

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Yes most, as in most people did not vote for the individual.
Your understanding of how the EPA can/can't be modified is also flawed.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
45.9% of the country voted for said person who happened to be swing states.

Rural America has a voice too and it spoke.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Thank you for a definition of a minority.:)
Oh yes, and don't forget that that is only the votes cast.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Most? My fat hairy white butt! I'm elated with what he is doing (as are pretty much everyone I know) . . . and the EPA was created by Nixon via EO, and despite it's overreach, can die by reversal of same . . .
No matter who says that in bold, I just gotta laugh because birds of a feather flock together. Meaning that we usually surround ourselves with people that think like us, so it's not indicative of everyone based on what those near us think.

Just sayin'...

Status
Not open for further replies.