Delete

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf(Summer) 2003 Golf(Winter)
What an idiot owner.

They have bus passes for people like this.

Victor Ward

TDI
2013 Jetta 6MT
How does this happen?
What do you do with that, remove the cams and clean it out?

Victor Ward

TDI
2013 Jetta 6MT
I guess Im naive, there are peole who DONT change their oil, for 83000 miles?! How would it even make it that long?

Last edited:

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
My parents had a Pontiac J2000 in the 80's. That's what it looked like under the valve cover after about 30,000 miles, with oil changes.

nate0031

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
96 B4 Passat
Can we have a thread about this? Where all the guru's/mechanics tell all these stories? lol. A mechanic face-palm thread?

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
The cam lobes don't look too bad considering.....
Probably the oil filter has been bypassing for 75,000 miles too.

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
I worked for Audi for 8 yrs and I've seen my share of sludges engines. Some of the 1.8t looked almost as bad as this. I can imagine what the oil pick up looks like.

Some people shouldn't be allowed to own a car.

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
I worked at a Nissan dealer about 17yrs ago and remember a Nissan Frontier driven in by one of the techs. It sounded like a diesel.

Popped the valve cover off and we saw the same thing.
Truck was a Lease :rolleyes:

You know how some people lease........

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
Worked with a woman, PhD no less, who bought a new Chrysler Corp van in the 90's. She'd get oil change mailings from the dealer, but figured that they were just trying to get her money and said that she added oil when it needed it. At the time I had a Dakota pickup with the V-6 that never used oil, and told her so. She finally got the oil changed at 10 or 15k miles (6000 or 7500 mile/6 month changes) I think. Minimum knowledge of mechanical items afflicts a whole lot of people.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
....but figured that they were just trying to get her money
Very common. Had an ex who felt that way about her Civic. 'They're indestructible' she used to say - why do I need an oil change?

She was fortunate that it didn't cost her an engine (I was surprised), but her tranny wasn't so lucky. Was shifting terribly badly by the time I was around and there was no saving it. She kept blaming Honda because the car was supposed to be indestructible....

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
This is poor maintenance at its best.
Though I don't condone this,a coworker didn't change his oil on a 2002 sunfire, obviously the engine blew after a while . I figured it out and it was cheaper than the oil changes over the miles he'd put on if he did the oil changes at 5000 km

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

matru

TDI
jetta mk6
i had a friend who had a toyota tercel, and he just kept refilling the oil to the level with.... our odl oil!!

The car endured this for a year :eek:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I never changed the oil in my '78 Civic for the last couple of years that I had it ... but (A) it was self-changing, because it was using a litre every 400 km at the end anyhow, and (B) the guy who picks the car up with a giant crane and tosses it on a big pile, doesn't care if it burns oil.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
I have definitely had cars where I was adding so much oil that it was always fresh on the dipstick. Hard to convince yourself to change it in those circumstances though obviously sludge building up in the pan is a concern.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Worked with a woman, PhD no less, who bought a new Chrysler Corp van in the 90's. She'd get oil change mailings from the dealer, but figured that they were just trying to get her money and said that she added oil when it needed it. At the time I had a Dakota pickup with the V-6 that never used oil, and told her so. She finally got the oil changed at 10 or 15k miles (6000 or 7500 mile/6 month changes) I think. Minimum knowledge of mechanical items afflicts a whole lot of people.
Too many PhDs in this country , universities print them
I work with lots of them , I was never impressed