Best full size truck -for MPG

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
Whats the best full size diesel truck for general use. No towing and very little to no heavy hauling. Just a motorcycle or two in the bed.

Since towing is not needed I could use a very low gear and turn very little RPMs to increase MPG. 4x4 is prefred over 4x2. Don't want a huge long four door truck.

Would love to get a light duty 1/2 SWB 4x4 truck, but they don't make them.:(

Whats the best truck that can use a very low gear for best MPG?

Whats the highest MPG you've read about from a 3/4t Diesel truck?

DesertV10

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 V10
Here's a little different idea- the Dodge Sprinter, really a Mercedes, with a 2.7L, 5 cyl., 154 hp diesel, get 24-28 mpg. It's a van, not a pickup, but comes in both passenger and cargo versions and various wheelbases. There is plenty of room for motorcycles, but not 4WD.

KansasTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Black Jetta Sedan, 5M SOLD NEW 2003 VW Beetle TDI 5M 95000 miles
I had a friend in SE Colorado that owned a 96 Dodge 3/4 ton 4X4 auto diesel and he got between 25 mpg and 30 mpg on the highway but it had a high speed rear end in it. He was a diesel mechanic by trade and knew what he was looking for when he bought it.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
You don't want low gears so the engine will turn slower, you want high gears.

Which means the numbers will be smaller.

IE 4.11s are lower than 3.89s.

DieselPub

TDI
2012 Jetta TDi w/Nav. Premium
I have a 2002 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 with the Duramax. When I am on the "Juice" get about 10mpg. Normal driving, uphill, downhill, or even loaded I am averaging 22mpg.

Wil Murphy

TDI
(none) Had a ford tempo with a diesel engine. Drove and worked on them in the military. See them everyday on my current job.
Best full size truck -for MPG

03_01_TDI said:
Whats the best full size diesel truck for general use. No towing and very little to no heavy hauling. Just a motorcycle or two in the bed.

Since towing is not needed I could use a very low gear and turn very little RPMs to increase MPG. 4x4 is prefred over 4x2. Don't want a huge long four door truck.

Whats the best truck that can use a very low gear for best MPG?

Whats the highest MPG you've read about from a 3/4t Diesel truck?
The Ford LCF (a cabover commercial vehicle) has a 200hp twin-turbo 4.5L V6 diesel which may end up in the F-150.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
03_01_TDI said:
Sure they do. You don't see them very often, but they make a 1/2 ton, reg cab, shortbed (6.5'), 4x4 truck. It'll be up to you to make it a diesel of course.;)

MR42HH

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 530d
DesertV10 said:
Here's a little different idea- the Dodge Sprinter, really a Mercedes, with a 2.7L, 5 cyl., 154 hp diesel, get 24-28 mpg. It's a van, not a pickup, but comes in both passenger and cargo versions and various wheelbases. There is plenty of room for motorcycles, but not 4WD.
Sure there are sprinter pickups, crew cab or single cab, three wheelbases, a choice of five diesels and three gearboxes.
pickup:

There's more info on the microsite.
http://sprinter-microsite.syzygy.de/2/start/en-GB/

AWD is available as a retrofit from Iglhaut.
http://www.iglhaut-allrad.de/htm/e_home.html
review here:
http://www.iglhaut-allrad.de/htm/pdf/003.pdf

Last edited:

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
MR42HH said:
Sure there are sprinter pickups, crew cab or single cab, three wheelbases, a choice of five diesels and three gearboxes.
pickup:
Hey MR42HH, how can I kindly tell you to #^&* off? ;)

You Euros alway have to rub it in our faces don't you. :p :D

What I wouldn't give for one of those dual cab pickups with an Iglhaut retrofit.

Last edited:

hemisareslow

TDI
2000 Jetta GL
DieselPub said:
I have a 2002 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 with the Duramax. When I am on the "Juice" get about 10mpg. Normal driving, uphill, downhill, or even loaded I am averaging 22mpg.
i call bs on that one....22mpg??? up hill or down loaded or unloaded??? please...I have an 03 duramax with the lb7 motor...argueably the best duramax to have from a mpg standpoint....with my edge/attitude set on one driving like an old lady I might..and I stress might see 20mpg on a flat stretch of highway... towing 12k pounds I get around 12-14 mpg...and for general mix of highway and city driving I see around 15-16...lets not forget this is an 8000 pound truck...

hemisareslow

TDI
2000 Jetta GL
question for the origonal poster....if you do not intend on towing...and the most you will haul is 2 bikes...why pay 8 thousand bucks more for a diesel?? granted you will get it back on the resale...but you will pay more for maintenance....100 dollar oil changes...35 bucks for a fuel filter you change every 5k...10 bucks for a tranny filter you change every 5k...it all adds up...I'd sitck with a 1/2 ton gasser with a 5.7 in it...just my 2 cents though

BoostdJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI 5spd
^^
My 12V powered 98 Dodge Ram 4x4 got 20-24 (3.55 rear end) when I first got it and babied it, now that it has a 5" exhaust, large enough injectors to fuel 1000+hp, a 650rwhp racing tranny in it, 35s, and a modified fuel plate... I can blow smoke dark as midnight 3 lanes across.... So if I don't feather it ever so lightly it is hard to cross 20mpg anymore, but it sure is fun. :D

nchapman

Veteran Member
TDI
7.3L PSD 6sp
my 2001 F-350 XLT 7.3L, 6 speed manual, 3.73 rear, 4 door, short bed gets 15-17 in town, 18-22 highway. Most i ever hit was 23-24mpg, most of that tank was going about 55mph steady, hand calculated.

runs great on biodiesel
hold 15qts of oil, but no need for syn. $10/gallon for Delo.
great truck!! sold my 02 tdi golf for it and never looked back.

check out www.thedieselstop.com for more ford info

BoostdJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI 5spd
I take it you don't drive much or you really love your truck? I figured out the difference between me driving the TDI and the truck is about $130/mo in fuel alone! I love my truck, but I love my money too. ;)

VWGMDIESELFAN

Veteran Member
TDI
(totaled 4/30/2014) 2002 JETTA GLS TDI
I just sold my 02 DMAX and dont miss the payments or the drinking problem it had. Unfortunately it was replaced by a more family friendly daily driver that i hate to admit to owning..............

05 Caravan 2.4L 4cyl. Gutless but gets the job done and gets close to 30 MPG. :rolleyes:

hemisareslow

TDI
2000 Jetta GL
BoostdJetta said:
I take it you don't drive much or you really love your truck? I figured out the difference between me driving the TDI and the truck is about $130/mo in fuel alone! I love my truck, but I love my money too. ;)
I know the feeling...except I was paying 400 a month in fuel for my duramax...I still have it for when I need a truck or want to go out and spank some ricers...and of course the occasional blizzard we are know to get up here....the jetta is just fine for commuting on nice days

dieselsRus

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon 5-Spd
Get a wagon (to haul cargo) and put a two inch lift on it and some oversized snow tires and you won't even need the truck!

Turbo D

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Tornado red
Full size diesel trucks are cool, but have you considered getting a small utility trailer for your TDI? I sold my old toyota truck and bought a utility trailer off craigslist for my two dirt bikes. I installed the bike shoes and a tailgate that doubles as a ramp. I am loaded up in minutes and don't have to deal with getting a bike into a 4x4 after the ride with no help.

The trailer would pay for itself in one season and requires no oil changes, brakes, insurance, registation, and can be stored in garage with bikes inside. Worst tank I got was 39 MPG with a wasted MAF, best case is 44MPG. I can hit 80+ mph uphill and get though the back county in record time.

Just a thought, I really like the comfort and agility of the Jetta and ease of loading.

pdxgrease

Veteran Member
TDI
none
i got a 2006 dodge 2500 cummins in october 06 to replace the 2002 jetta tdi. Then the reality hit. The fuel costs were killing me. I'm now driving a 2004 jetta wagon PD. The truck was rad but didnt pencil for me.

helloskyharbour

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL auto
I would wait to see what comes out, if possible. Daimler will be coming out with several new small diesels by 2010. Probably we'll see a 1/2 ton and smaller (Dakota) with diesels.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I've done the trailer thing too. It works well, although I wound up with 36mpg when loaded up (full car and 400lbs in the trailer, maybe more). Cheap to keep around, although it's a pain to back up.

I still keep thinking about a used full size truck, but just as a gasser 6cyl, for short trips. Even then, I shudder at the fuel cost.

VWGMDIESELFAN

Veteran Member
TDI
(totaled 4/30/2014) 2002 JETTA GLS TDI
I wouldn't dare pull a trailer with my auto tranny Jetta. Unless I really want to justify a 5spd swap:rolleyes: HHmmmm??!! Tax returns Tranny...yah.

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
The original poster didn't specify new or used. It's possible to get a decent used gasoline truck pretty cheap. Diesel trucks generally go for more. If you don't intend to drive it much, it might be cheaper to get the gas truck instead of the diesel truck. If you intend to drive it for 150,000 miles, a diesel might make sense. It's also possible to get a new gasoline pickup for way less than the cheapest diesel-powered pickup. First, you can get a half-ton pickup to do what you want, but you have to get a 3/4-ton to get a diesel. Unless you just want a diesel and have the money, a gas-powered truck will probably end up being cheaper overall.

Wyatt Earp

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
The 12V Cummins powered Dodge truck is the best for mileage but lacks a bit of power if unmodified. We see many of them that can pull 450 RWHP and still get 30 MPG doing it. The 24V Cummins isn't bad but as the years go up so does the power and then does the fuel consumption. I get 27 MPG HWY with my 24V Cummins.

In the older trucks the 3.54 rear end and a stick is the way to go to get this economy. You don't ever need to get 4.10 or 4.11 or worse yet Fords new 4.23? In the F450?? Unless you pull 12,000 + pounds every day you own the truck.

As far as size goes, yes they aren't that small. If you want small I would suggest looking into a right hand drive import like the Toyota Helix (4 doors, small bed and a 2.8 L TD)

Cheers,

hemisareslow

TDI
2000 Jetta GL
Turbo D said:
Full size diesel trucks are cool, but have you considered getting a small utility trailer for your TDI? I sold my old toyota truck and bought a utility trailer off craigslist for my two dirt bikes. I installed the bike shoes and a tailgate that doubles as a ramp. I am loaded up in minutes and don't have to deal with getting a bike into a 4x4 after the ride with no help.

The trailer would pay for itself in one season and requires no oil changes, brakes, insurance, registation, and can be stored in garage with bikes inside. Worst tank I got was 39 MPG with a wasted MAF, best case is 44MPG. I can hit 80+ mph uphill and get though the back county in record time.

Just a thought, I really like the comfort and agility of the Jetta and ease of loading.

yeah but I think when I hook my trailer to the jetta and load my 12k pound tractor and brush hog on it we might have an issue....:p