pulling the cam gear

flatlanded

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
I assume you have the metalnerd cam gear puller? Other than that, take it slow with even force. If you feel it's stuck, a little heat with a heat shield in place to protect the back timing cover help. Also, a few taps with a rubber mallet might help.

I haven't had a problem removing them with the metalnerd tool.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Berniem, from his signature, has an '04. Different animal. You would need the BEW engine lockdown tools and the timing belt would have to be released and then the three bolts holdling the cam gear are removd and the gear comes off. This still leaves the camshaft hub installed on the camshaft. The center (18 MM, I think) bolt holds the hub on, but a special hub holder is needed in order to break the bolt loose. I'll look up the toll and post a link to it.

Is this for a camshaft and lifter replacement?

Or on a second re-read, maybe he is removing the cam gear on the '03 he is parting out. Which car is this for?

--Nate

Threewheelin007

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI Mk4
2003 ALH Jetta

Bernie has an 04 BEW Jetta but the car he's working on is his boys 03 ALH Jetta. Just clarifying.

KCTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg
Before I had heard of "metalnerd" and his great tools,I used a drift punch against the inner hub of the cam sprocket on an ALH. I refused to pay the $300+ at that time,for the goofy one VW issued for task.