Front end shutter 06 Jetta TDI

katoslowhand

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have a 06 Jetta TDI. When I take off the front end shutters just at low speed. It has new tires on it, but it feels fine at high speed. Any body?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Does this happen just when you are letting out the clutch? Shudder when you hit the go-pedal? Does it quit when you let off the pedal?

If this is what is happening, I'd check your inner CV joints.

How many miles on the car?

There is a possibility that the torque mount (aka dogbone) could be causing this - a general vibration felt as shudder through the steering.

I just replace the dogbone on my Golf. The unit that was replaced seemed OK, but afterward, it was much smoother on initial takeoff.

And a different car I (temporarily) own, a 2001 Jetta, had a shudder when you pushed on the go-pedal that disappeared when the CV joints were swapped side to side.

I would be greatly surprised if your '06 has as many miles as either of the cars I just mentioned above, however, as one is at 180k miles and the other at 237k miles. And mileage would be the prime factor in either CV joints or dogbone giving up. Manufacturing defects do happen however, so it would be good to check these items.

Other possibilities aren't any fun either. The other ones I think of are DMF flywheel troubles and something loose in the front end gear such as a tie rod, ball joint, strut bearing, or other suspension components.

katoslowhand

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Today it is worse. When I am under power it shudders hard and loud till I let off. I will take it in to be looked at Monday i hope. It feels like a choppy road. But it is not.

Cappy

TDI
2006 Jetta
It feels like something is slipping right ? Its starting to happen to my 06 auto/DSG Jetta TDI as well. Just very slight as of now and doesn't happen every time i take off from a stop

Cappy

TDI
2006 Jetta
katoslowhand said:
Cappy. Yes that's what it feels like. What can it be?
I wish i knew buddy. im not thinking its a broken axle or it would sound and feel way worse then that more often

It could be a failing DMF like velociT says . Whatever DMF stand for . :rolleyes:

Cappy

TDI
2006 Jetta
Glad to hear ya got her all fixed up. Was it making (clicking) noises as you turned sharp to one side ?