MN Chat Thread

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Place for GTG, sightings, and general talk about MN TDI's.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
Saw a silver Jetta TDI wagon at Afton Alps last night. Anybody around here owns it? Also there was Golf TDI too.

Ron

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
just got some blizzak revo1's on my gf's golf w/black steel wheels... $650 :( couldn't find anything cheaper.... should be $80x4 for tires and $30x4 for the steelies = $440. at tires plus. the tires weren't all inflated right either. 30, 32, 34, and 35psi. hmm... been wanting to put on the splash guards as well, but been to cold/frozen and not a chance to get the wheel wells cleaned nice before putting them on. i've seen a couple TDIs here in bemidji. a dark green and black jetta.

KomarekTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD: 2003 Golf GLS TDI - Black
Just put in my TDIHeater - wow, was that easy. Seems like a great deal to get everything you need in one box. Looking forward to easier starts and warm heat!

I have VAG-COM and am in Forest Lake (work in Wyoming) so if you need a code read or reset let me know.

See you on the road,
Tony

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
BW

I'm thinking about challanging anybody going to the TDI fest next year, to a mileage contest. What do you think, WI border, and then see how far everybody gets, on a select route, makes you kinda sad you don't have the Jetta Wagon anymore eh?

Saw one Passat Wagon TDI on my trip to the cities today, then told one guy about the TDI Club at the dealer (after my car wash). 100 miles today, 200 miles tomorrow.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
i got a vag-com too, usb cable, but no windows laptop (only linux) as of now so. no USB support for WINE :(

btw, anybody around this area (northern MN) or down near st. cloud or the cities who is experienced enough to install a VR6/G60 clutch kit (from dieselgeek most likely) for a decent price if i do need an upgrade in the future? thinking of upgrading from RC2 to RC3, and don't have near the experience to attempt such a job, though i'd like to watch/help/learn...

i still haven't installed my tdi heater. i'd like to put it in my gf's golf, just haven't had the time or garage to do it in.. i'm also hoping to do an FM-100 fuel filter install sometime soon... something along the lines of: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=60614

Route 66

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW
Sam good idea, have you ever thought of driving the Alcan again? Burpod did you know Marilyn Shutter?

Last edited:

canast

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Bright Green. Retired - 2003 Red Beetle GLS, deer got it.
You know sometimes you just have to teach the dealer how to do their job. I messed up last weekend and did not add any additive and she stalled on way to work on Monday. First time in 4 years. I called Wednesday was getting the run around on how busy they were. I suggested that all they had to do was park it in the shop overnight. No technician required, and I would still pay there diagnoses fee. Thursday morning she was working just fine. Just happy to have my car back. Only left over problem from ordeal was that clock was behind by almost 3 hours and locking sequence is messed up. I am thinking that something glitched on the ECU maybe. Anyone in North Metro have time to Vag it for me?

fireboy

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GL
Hi guys, new in here, just bought 04 Jetta TDI, wondering if anyone puts marvel mystery oil in their deisel/oil and knows the long term effects?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
agh, no, i didn't know about that - i just looked it up online, that's right near here. bad scene.

as for marvel mystery oil: no no no....

use an approved diesel additive like stanadyne performance formula (my preference) or diesel kleen, redline, amongst others...

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
fireboy - noticed you didn't get service records for the previous oil changes and have a PD -- can you get these from the dealer? i would think they should be able to provide you with them, or at least last time of oil change or previous owner you could contact... you really want to make sure you're running 505.01 (or better like 506.01)

edit - not sure exactly what damage could occur as i'm not knowledgeable enough about the real guts of it all... but as far as i can tell, it is not good!

Last edited:

newguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M White
helllllllo!

Hey guys! wondering if any of you could help me out with a VAG-COM in the near future. I was driving my car and got it to go into limp mode. (with my RC2 under full throttle for 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears - in 4th there was a bit of white smoke then when I got to 5th there was no power at all... I thought I smoked the turbo, but after shutting the car off and back on again - it was back to normal. I talked to Jeff @RC and he wanted me to check the codes in the VAG-COM to let me know what happened.)

anyhow, I'm also lookin at getting a popup camper for my wife's Passat for some fun this spring/summer/fall. Any other TDI'ers campers??

there is a lot of debate going on about how much tongue weight and trailer weight the passat can handle.

Anyhow, if you can help me with the VAG - please PM or e-mail me. thanks a bunch guys!:)

CADtechTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 A5 Jetta 5 spd Pkg 1
Anyone have a new Vag-Com with Hex+CAN for the new '05.5/'06 Jetta?
There are several comfort settings I'd like to change.

I work in Fridley, but live north of North Branch - if anyone is within a 30 mi. radius of either location, that'd be golden!

newguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M White
I wasn't showin off to anyone but myself... just out having FUN if you know what I mean. You know how it is when a jammin song comes on the radio and ya just gotta kick up some dust. (ok, maybe you don't if you are shooting for 58MPG)

I'm a 33-38MPG man in day to day driving with my 5-speed manual PD100 Jetta. I've gotten as high at 42MPG on the trip home from the TDIFest. I kept a steady 75MPH the whole way home - no stops - fuel station to fuel station and it was exactly 42MPG. Now keep in mind I only had about 3000 miles on the car at the time, but my wifes Passat following me got the EXACT same 42MPG - and her's is the 134PD motor with tiptronic auto trans. hmmm?

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Ron, Now I know who to nag until I trade up mine. :)

Stefan, long time no hear. Welcome back.

Sorry I have been so busy lately. few postings if you haven't notice.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Spamjohnson said:
BW

I'm thinking about challanging anybody going to the TDI fest next year, to a mileage contest. What do you think, WI border, and then see how far everybody gets, on a select route, makes you kinda sad you don't have the Jetta Wagon anymore eh?

Saw one Passat Wagon TDI on my trip to the cities today, then told one guy about the TDI Club at the dealer (after my car wash). 100 miles today, 200 miles tomorrow.
Actually, I think using the Oakdale Fleet Farm would be a better idea - they tend to have lower fuel prices than you would normally see in WI.

FWIW, I got to exit 71 on the Ohio Turnpike on one tank back in June, without the fuel light coming on, and this was pre-506.01.

The route I would take is I-94 to Madison, then I-90 to the Tri-state, down the Tri-state to I-80, join up with the Indiana Toll Road, then take the turnpikes the rest of the way.

I was thinking about a convoy which would gather in northwestern Indiana about 5am CDT on the Thursday and arriving at King of Prussia about 8pm EDT, assuming the hotel deal is a go for the Thursday night. I'm thinking mandatory fill at the Fleet Farm and mandatory fill just before getting of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

The stops I would use would be:

1. Black River Falls, WI
2. Portage, WI
3. Belvidere, IL
4. Northwestern Indiana (fill tanks for long part of run, 700 miles in 16 gallons is 43.75 mpg, 15 gallons would be 46.67 mpg)
5. Fremont, IN (Indiana Toll Road, just east of I-69)
6. Sandusky, OH
7. Youngstown, OH
8. Somerset, PA
9. Highspire, PA (near Harrisburg)

We would use the service area just before the Valley Forge exit as the ending point of the mileage competition.