stripped slider brake slider pin mount

Aquaticmind

Veteran Member
Wheeling, WV via Athens Georgia via, Bainbridge Is
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Hi folks,

I need to insight here.

I was working on the front brakes and getting everything back together and the threads on the mount for the slider pin for the front brakes stripped out on the steering knuckle.

No I was not torquing on them like a mad man, I know the the torque spec is pretty low.

So.. what do I do? Can this be helicoiled?

Cheers

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I dont see why not. Helicoil it with come red lock tight. Let dry. Tap it out to clear threadlocker.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I think IDParts has some that are oversized, I guess this a common problem...luckily, not for me;)...

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I recently refreshed the front end of one of my daughters boyfriends car. An 03 Jetta gasser, someone had used an aftermarket slider to repair the stripped threads. The threads on the slide looked oversized and self tapping.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have seen that before, not really sure how people do it, but it must not be very hard. There is an aftermarket oversize "fix" for that, but you should know that those seem to be limited to that one time install, and after that they never really seem to screw in as nicely as the originals. In which case, the only thing is a new carrier assembly.

Good news there, is that there are aftermarket already assembled carriers available... I know Moog sells them... I am sure they are of Chinesium but they seem to work OK. They come with new wheel bearings, hubs, etc. already installed and ready to go.

Another option is to use this misfortune to upgrade to the larger brakes in front. :D

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
I have had this happen and yes, the oversized slider is a one-time-only fix. Last time it happened, I installed a Time-Sert and it has held up great. Helicoil will work, too.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
I tried over and over again to helicoil these and I could never ever get the pin straight. Best bet is a new knuckle

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds