2018 Best fuel saving Tires for 06 MK4 Golf TDI

Przemix

TDI
2006 VW Golf 1.9 BEW TDI MK4
Hi Guys looks like its been years since someone made thread about today 2018 best tires. I need Summer tires only. Best there is on the market today.

well... there is not much I can find , I was hoping maybe You guys will have some info.

195/65 R15 91 H summer tires only

So far i found only :MICHELIN - ENERGY SAVER they also have MICHELIN - ENERGY SAVER "PLUS" but its been there for many many years, did they come up with any better tires than this?

whats the difference ? with "PLUS"

Is that the best I can go for Summer tires only?

here is the link:

https://www.carid.com/2006-volkswagen-golf-tires/?filter=1&size=195-65-r15&field[334082][]=200941089

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I don't think those tires are distributed by Michelin USA. That being said, you want LRR to save money, right? At $177 (non-Plus) for what's in stock, the money you'll save vs a Michelin Premier A/S (Tirerack) for $120 each, well you're not going to be saving money. EVen the lower priced Energy Saver Plus is more expensive. Summer tires are also not gifted with longevity also, compared to the Premier A/S (640 A A). You can treat them as 3-season tires if you go with winter tires in the winter.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Tires are not a magic elixir to great Mpg, personal driving habits are what dictates the Mpg outcome!

VLS_GUY

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Bug, Skid Plate, Stage 1 Upsolute
The best practical LRR tire I have found is the Nokian Entyre 2.0. Note that it is not an OEM tire because Nokian doesn't sell to the OEMs. It is on a par for quality with Michelin but ata lower proce point.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr
Hi Guys looks like its been years since someone made thread about today 2018 best tires. I need Summer tires only. Best there is on the market today.

well... there is not much I can find , I was hoping maybe You guys will have some info.

195/65 R15 91 H summer tires only

So far i found only :MICHELIN - ENERGY SAVER they also have MICHELIN - ENERGY SAVER "PLUS" but its been there for many many years, did they come up with any better tires than this?

whats the difference ? with "PLUS"

Is that the best I can go for Summer tires only?

here is the link:

https://www.carid.com/2006-volkswagen-golf-tires/?filter=1&size=195-65-r15&field[334082][]=200941089
Nokian WR-G3. I had them for about three years and they gave me 5 mpg more. Nokian calls them "all weather tires", not "all season", because Winter in Miami, is not the same as Winter in Duluth. At first I didn't believe it, so I checked and double checked for about 6 weeks before I posted it, but it was true...5 mpg more. I got them, and all my Nokians from Tires by Web. here's the link
https://www.tiresbyweb.com/m-108-no...MIwr76kbTs2QIVkLrACh0VeAkDEAAYBCAAEgL4KvD_BwE

Przemix

TDI
sup guys

any better summer tires in 2019?

So far Nokian looks best and beats any tires even energy saver Michelin im impressed, , anybody know if they came up with other magic tires in 2019 or its still the same ? plus how do I check if they send me new tire not from 5 years ago that looks brand new? Should I pay attention to that too?

Przemix

TDI
Nokian WR-G3. I had them for about three years and they gave me 5 mpg more. Nokian calls them "all weather tires", not "all season", because Winter in Miami, is not the same as Winter in Duluth. At first I didn't believe it, so I checked and double checked for about 6 weeks before I posted it, but it was true...5 mpg more. I got them, and all my Nokians from Tires by Web. here's the link
https://www.tiresbyweb.com/m-108-no...MIwr76kbTs2QIVkLrACh0VeAkDEAAYBCAAEgL4KvD_BwE

Looks like they came up with upgrade now ? Nokian WR G4 ?

some reviews said its noisy are yours noisy too?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't believe there are any summer tires available in 195/65-15. All-season and winter only. Of those, my favorites are General Altimax RT43s for summer and either General Altimax Winter Artic or Michelin X-Ice 3 for winter.

rennsportmotorrad

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon
Tyres

I just new tyres on my 04 Jetta wagon about a month ago, I went with the Michelin defender H+T and love them so far, before that I had a set of Firestone Champion Fuel Fighter's I only put about 1200 miles on them and sent them back-(Firestone gives a 30 day try out free)--I didnt like them supposed to me a LRR tyre but my mileage went down & on a wet road the car slid sideways about 12 inches--broke traction--and I ride this road 5 days a week the only time I ever broke traction was with these Firestone's, --Before those I had Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus tyres, Now I really like the handling the traction was great, these were an 80000. mile tyre. I had an issue with 2 of them -one never held air and was finally replaced and then was fine-the other was a road hazard issue that I had to battle with Firestone over but they finally fixed it, so now I have 2 left that have been on the car for 31K miles. I have them rotated & balanced every 5K, I check my pressures 2 times a week never fail. So I have 31K on an 80K tyre and they are 75% worn out--they will not go another 10K--So those are the tyres I have used --The Michelin's I feel will last a long time -my mileage is back up to 49-50 mpg average and they feel good and handle well, I have run Michelin's on other car's & Van's over the years and I always get more miles then they call for.

Przemix

TDI
I think I will stick to Michelins Energy saver from DOT 2016 year, they go for $87 per tire on ebay and people really save 10% on fuel..I saw the reviews and since i have witer michelins XICE already I really need summer tires only, so i think i will go with Michelins Energy Saver Plus fuel efficient(just for summer) that will be my best deal for now .

thanks for the replays guys

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I think I will stick to Michelins Energy saver from DOT 2016 year, they go for $87 per tire on ebay and people really save 10% on fuel..I saw the reviews and since i have witer michelins XICE already I really need summer tires only, so i think i will go with Michelins Energy Saver Plus fuel efficient(just for summer) that will be my best deal for now .
thanks for the replays guys
I'm curious, did it take you almost one year and through one summer to decide on replacing bald tires???