Where did my first and reverse gear go? A transmition pulling story.

TDI
2015 Porsche Cayenne diesel, 2005 Audi allroad 6spd, 2007 WCM ultralite (super 7)
so over the past week i was have some issues shifting into 1st and rev and could not figure out what was going on. i was fine in the higher gears but thats because im used to rev matching to make my shifts smoother. on Thursday i flat out could not get into first/rev unless i put the car in gear when off. after adjusting the shifter linkage a million times, installing a VF dogbone (DONT EVARRRRR DO THIS IN A TDI), and bleeding the clutch slave/master i still could not get anywhere. last thing i thought it could be was the pressure plate, perhaps one of the straps broke loose and was causing the crazy vibration when i let out the clutch. i picked up a new vr6 clutch and pressure plate to swap out and began pulling the trans. once i got it out i found the pressure plate was fine... the clutch fork was to blame. it was cracked and bent back BAD. i pulled out the sachs stage 1 disc and stage 2 pressure plate and put the new vr6 stuff anyway. once together everything was perfect and my foot damn near went though the floor because the stock vr6 pressure plate was SO MUCH lighter then the resprung version i was using.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
glad you got it fixed. I drove this car and I must say, that was one heavy clutch pedal, it's no wonder it broke. Get the next fork reinforced in the webs.
Jeff

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
Doesnt a company make a reinforced webed clutch? I cant remember where I saw it. How many miles on this setup btw? It would be good to know for those of us that might be running the stage 2 parts.

Chemboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
GotEuroCorrado said:
once together everything was perfect and my foot damn near went though the floor because the stock vr6 pressure plate was SO MUCH lighter then the resprung version i was using.
I had a friend drive my car with the VR6/G60 stetup and he said it's really more like a clutch button! :D

-Andy

TDI
2015 Porsche Cayenne diesel, 2005 Audi allroad 6spd, 2007 WCM ultralite (super 7)
shortysclimbin said:
Doesnt a company make a reinforced webed clutch? I cant remember where I saw it. How many miles on this setup btw? It would be good to know for those of us that might be running the stage 2 parts.
not many miles on this setup, maybe 20k on the clutch/pressure plate. i could have put them back in but i opted for the regular stuff so the fork wont crack again.

herc269

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
The car is very nice. Do you have any rubbing issues with the tires?

Thank You for re-affirming that I'm not going crazy. I am having the same issue with my 1998 Jetta TDI. It is very difficult getting it to go into 1st gear and reverse. At this point I always go into 2nd then into 1st at a stop light and reverse is just as difficult, I think I have it in and when I gently release the clutch she'll move forward. Was it difficult changing the Fork?

TDI
i have a lil rub in the front over some high/low rolling bumps but otherwise thats daily driven right there. the wheels poke because of the 20mm adapter i run since the wheels are 5x112. i recently got a 15mm adapter which should help even more (i hope).