Roof boxes: How big can I go for a Jetta Wagon?

TheLongshot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon '03 Reflex Silver
As someone now with a kid, and an event that I go to every year with my wife, I now need to create more room to transport stuff, so I'm in the market for a roof box.

What I'm looking for is people with personal experience with these boxes to say what works for them for a Jetta Wagon, and what is too much.

I know a 16 cubic foot box probably will work fine, but what about 18 cubic feet? 21? What about the length?

Really, I find it hard to judge unless it is actually on the vehicle, and I don't want to get something that is TOO big.

Jason

cyberbenj

Veteran Member
TDI
Jet 2000 rouge
I have a Yakima Blacktop 21 cubic feet and simply love it. I know it's the biggest but it's worth it when I put our charriot cougar 2 (very wide for our 2 kids) right into it and still have space to throw a showboard, or snowshoes.
I can even put 2 bike rack, one on both side of the cargo itself (and note this model opens from both sides wich is a very cool feature for a box this big).
On the drag side, I do 6.1 L/100km instead of my usual 5.1 and I'm sure a smaller box won't be that less. I own a small (maybe 10-12 cubic feet) and only use it in summer to put my kite surf equipment on the other Jetta, it's too small to help with a family orientation.
For the lenght, it's just perfect if you have a wagon (you won't have to remove or break!!! your antenna), if you have a sedan only a small 12 cubic feet installed on one side of the car will do to keep your roof antenna installed.
I own a Passat wagon (21cubic feet always on - antenna on) and a jetta sedan (occasionnaly the 12 cubic feet - antenna on). My friend has a Jetta wagon (21 cubic feet always on - antenna REMOVED, you'll need an iPod or good CD's) and it's the only way you can have 2 kids and a Jetta as your primary car and still be on the active side!
Hope this help!

MilenP

Veteran Member
Thule Evolution 1600. I have it on a 4 dr Jetta, not station wagon with the VW OEM bars. Fits lots of stuff. Not so great for the mileage though (probably like any cargo box on the top ;) )
Milen

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
We have a Thule Cascade 17 cu. ft. It's a little on the big side as far as I'm concerned; we use it mainly for skis and snowboards. It fits, but keep in mind that weight is the issue, you must not exceed the rated weight of the factory rack.

One big drawback I find though: our Jetta is one of the best cars I've ever owned for crosswind stability (I think maybe even better than our Passat). The roof rack turns it into one of the worst. And yes, the fuel economy takes a hit, turns our Jetta into our Passat fuel-economy wise (same thing in the summer when bike racks replace the box, even worse with bikes on top).

As for the multiple postings, sometimes when you hit send on a post the system hangs and you think it's never been sent, so you're tempted to rehit send again. But it actually was sent, if you hit back and do a refresh it will be there. I think it's at the TDIclub.com end, not yours.

Last edited:

uberdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Night Blue Golf TDI SEL
Sears Sport 20SV: It's huge. It's aerodynamic. It's inexpensive.

I have put thousands of miles on mine. First with my Suburban, now with my Jetta wagon.

I still have room for two five-gallon drums of diesel behind it on a 1'x4' piece of plywood.

PS: I don't have to remove my antenna.

Last edited:

Gut Fahrt

I have a 2002 Jetta Wagon and have used a Yakima Rocket Box (16 cu. ft.) since the car was new. I've had this plus two kayaks or a kayak and a bike on top at the same time. The length is perfect. The car has always felt very stable even with everything on top.

After four years of cranking down on kayak straps, I am seeing some problems with the front of the rack at the joint between the rail and the front mount. Not having a support at the B-pillar is a serious deficiency with the strength of the roof rail - but I'm loading it pretty heavy and the added stress of tightening straps is probably much more than most people are inflicting on these. I'm now looking to make repairs or change to something different. If anyone has any experience with this problem, I'd be interested to know about it.

uberdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Gut Fahrt said:
I have a 2002 Jetta Wagon and have used a Yakima Rocket Box (16 cu. ft.) since the car was new. I've had this plus two kayaks or a kayak and a bike on top at the same time. The length is perfect. The car has always felt very stable even with everything on top.

After four years of cranking down on kayak straps, I am seeing some problems with the front of the rack at the joint between the rail and the front mount. Not having a support at the B-pillar is a serious deficiency with the strength of the roof rail - but I'm loading it pretty heavy and the added stress of tightening straps is probably much more than most people are inflicting on these. I'm now looking to make repairs or change to something different. If anyone has any experience with this problem, I'd be interested to know about it.
Are you using a VW or Yakima carrier for the kayaks? These rails are apparently not designed to have any pressure on them other than downward from cargo on the appropriate attachment.

I have probably had as much as 250 pounds in my Sears SV 20 cargo box, but have not had any handling or rack problems. The rails are only rated for 150lbs, but I am sure that they were built for more.

I guess "how" the weight is applied and how the pressure is directed are the essential questions. I hope your rails don't fail and look forward to hearing of a solution to your wear and tear.

Last edited:

TheLongshot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon '03 Reflex Silver
Appropriate time for this thread to reappear. ;)

I made my decision at the end of March before the REI coupon I had expired. I chose the Yakima 18 Blacktop, due to the price (the Platnum would have looked nice, but couldn't justify the price) and a good compromise between holding capacity, and the option to strap other things onto the rack as needed.

As said in this thread, the box fits perfectly on top of the car, and I didn't even have to remove the antenna. No interference with my XM, which is also a good thing. The only thing I need to remember now is that when opening one side, make sure the other side is latched first. :eek:

Jason

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
I've got the oem roof bars (of course) and my parents gave us one of these http://www.sportrack.com/a25370c 18cu.ft (but mine is beige). Possilby as aerodynamic as a wet noodle at speed. Tons of room though! Drops the full range down to about 875km at the fuel light though but that is at less than favourable speeds (110-125km/h)...and cheaper than a new car for the times when I actually need the added capcity.

Wicked6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDi
Well, I know you've got your solution in hand already! Let me add my 2 cents, anyway!! dangit!! ;) I wish this thread had popped up when I was in the market a while back...

For our trips in the new family wagon, I wanted a rocket box.. Found a Thule Frontier (11 cuft) locally for $140, so I was all over it.. It was a bit long, ( uhhh huh huh huh) but did it's job well.. Used the stock VW cross bars, had no problems.. I put some hand tools, the stroller, some misc. junque, 2 bottles of Stanadyne (I only used one!), and still had lots of room for softer items that could conform.. FWIW, there was little to no MPG impact with the box on!! 78 mph I was still getting 41-42 mpg..

I need to figure out how to post pics - this thing looks SLICK with that box on top..

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
I just ordered but not yet recieved a Yakima Space Cadet for my Passat wagon.

I'm considering buying a wind fairing but don't know if it really helps or is just a gimmick. It seems that it would improve the flow of air over the box thereby reducing buffeting.

Anybody have experience with fairings?

Last edited:

uberdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
daedalus said:
I just ordered but not yet recieved a Yakima Space Cadet for my Passat wagon.

I'm considering buying a wind fairing but don't know if it really helps or is just a gimmick. It seems that it would improve the flow of air over the box thereby reducing buffeting.

Anybody have experience with fairings?
Some people have complaine that they leave a line on your car where they rest against the roof.