"Cold-air intakes" and "high-flow air filter" FAQ

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
I think Injen's testing would have been better suited on TDIs with significant mods.

Like Charlie said, there is potentially more to be gained on a highly modded setup vs. something that is close to OEM output..

As far as the hydrolock potential goes, there are several manufacturers that make a water resistant/breathable "sock" to go over the cone...although that might reduce max CFM who knows..
This was fitted with hydrolock sock but can not guarantee water enterance. First the product should be able to show benefit on a stock model as is all of their products. Showing it on modded car would not help as mods vary dramatically.

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
JCL,

Peak HP went down, but was the powerband wider? [more HP earlier and/or later]
No power band was not made larger to make a difference and sometimes was less than OEM.

Jethro Bodine

TDI
03 Jetta TDI 5 spd, 11 Golf TDI 6 spd
I know they weren't TDI's but I put 200K on a 360 with a K&N and it looked great when I took it down at 158K to put in a stroker crank. I've got 47K on my ZRX1100 and it's been running a K&N and jetkit since I got it. Not saying they can't cause problems since apparently they did with these cars, but there's nothing wrong with a stock replacement K&N in most cars and yes they can help with power. I've seen it at the dragstrip and with the butt dyno to know.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
K&N is not always bad. Some of what they sell is actually pretty good. The biggest problem with TDIs (and their MAF sensors) is oiled filters and over oiled filters. It is the oil that is the worst part.

The other issue (with all brands of "high flow" filters) is in how they achieve that "high flow". In many cases, they flow more air because they filter it less. There is no "magic" in filter design, it is relatively simple physics. There are really only 2 ways to increase flow rate.
1) more filter surface area
2) bigger "holes" in the filter medium (IOW: less filtration)

It would be difficult to find a filter with more surface area than the stock one. Therefore #2 is the most common solution. Our turbo chargers are more than capable of providing all the air our engines need, unless you have done some very serious modifications (like bigger turbo, etc.).

Have Fun!

Don

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap
Not sure if this has been covered, but what are everyone's thoughts on the foam filter elements rather than paper or other synthetics?

These filters are "dry" (I.E no oil) and are claimed to flow just as well as any other aftermarket filter, but with much better filtration qualities. And they're washable with soap and water.

I know there's no tangible benefit to installing one of these filters, but I am simply asking for a comparison of one aftermarket type to another, because as far as I've heard, these are the best things in the aftermarket world as far as filters go.

This is one brand. There's a few others out there as well.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Foam air filters have their place. In a very dusty, dirty application such as the dirt bikes I spent years racing they were the only way to go - oiled multidensity layered foam. No thin pleated filter of any kind could even come close to the volume of dirt foam could hold while still allowing the engine to breathe. Without the oil I have a hard time seeing how they could filter as well as the synthetic media pleated filters. No only would need to see flow data but also filtration efficiency. Dry foam surely would flow quite well. Can't imagine filtration being on par w/o the oil or a layer of similar media to the pleated type. If that was the strategy it would clog fast without the surface area pleated designs have.

In other words, foam sounds good for true off road, but how many TDIs are used in that environment?

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
I had searched and read opinions on the AEM dryflow panel filter and decided it was worth the $40 and installed it yesterday in my '05 Jetta BEW so I'll check it in 6 months and report back :)

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
Not a CAI

I had searched and read opinions on the AEM dryflow panel filter and decided it was worth the $40 and installed it yesterday in my '05 Jetta BEW so I'll check it in 6 months and report back :)
All it is as I own 2 of them and clean them every 30K with soap and water over night and do not have to shell out $24+ for paper filters each time the filter needs changing. Same with the CAT 2micron fuel filter I know I paid up front but I get an extra 20K out of each filter plus they are $17 a piece.

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
There's an environmental aspect to re-usable parts that shouldn't be overlooked. One less tree cut to make a paper filter and one less paper filter in the landfill.:)

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
Not sure if this has been covered, but what are everyone's thoughts on the foam filter elements rather than paper or other synthetics?

These filters are "dry" (I.E no oil) and are claimed to flow just as well as any other aftermarket filter, but with much better filtration qualities. And they're washable with soap and water.

I know there's no tangible benefit to installing one of these filters, but I am simply asking for a comparison of one aftermarket type to another, because as far as I've heard, these are the best things in the aftermarket world as far as filters go.

This is one brand. There's a few others out there as well.
My experience with the foam filters is HKS was fine but Greddy one started to crumble and almost dry rot after a year or so. Bits and pieces of the filter element would come off and on the twin turbo RX7 it was on, i didn't take any chances. I replaced it when a PFS intake that used oil filters (fine on a 13b).

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
AFE Pro Dry

AFE Pro Dry, last air filter you will ever need to purchase:) Use them in my VW 1.9 TDI, Jeep GC 3.0 CRD and Audi 3.0.

ncroadwarrior

Veteran Member
TDI
04 JSW bew
Amsoil makes a reusable paper filter...their nano tech filter media for desert storm vehicles...
take out and shake, vacuum off ..good to go
bd

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Quote from the advertising blather:

The VWR Intake Filter upgrades replace the restrictive factory paper filters with an improved, high flow and reusable lifetime foam filter.
The filter that came from the factory will outflow your engine. Check your manual for the replacement schedule, you will find that it seldom requires service.

Good thing you asked us, isn't it!!

Bill

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
I just checked, and I'm a bit surprised.
I've had the Amsoil EAA208 nanofiber in my airbox for about 6 years. It is still filtering well.
I may change it to an OE winter filter tomorrow.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...ems/air/amsoil-ea-air-filters/?code=EAA208-EA
...this is what I'm running now.

Maybe no hp increase but this might be the best pick for longevity.

It might flow better than a Mann/Fram/etc. but more flow usually means less filtration, so who knows

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
...this is what I'm running now.

Maybe no hp increase but this might be the best pick for longevity.

It might flow better than a Mann/Fram/etc. but more flow usually means less filtration, so who knows
Just different filtration. Nanofiber synthetic media vs. paper media. AEM has a nanofiber panel filter, too. AFE, too.

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
Why not just clean and re-install per Amsoil instructions?
I bought a new filter, installed it and saved the amsoil one I may give it a good vac and use it again.
Amsoil says its good for 4 years, so I thought I would change it.
It was not letting anything into the intake, inside top of the airbox was spotless.

Rawtek

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Proof that a CAI can work

Hi folks,
I thought I would chime in here since I have some CAI retaled news that I'm sure will spark some discussion.
We just came off a dyno session while testing our new Passat exhaust & tune where we found a pretty significant power improvement with our cold air intake on both the Passat and Jetta. We did 3 pulls with the stock airbox installed, 3 pulls with no airbox installed (just MAF and tube extension) and finally 3 pulls with our CAI. After all the hype about intakes being worthless on our 2.0lcr TDIs we were pleasantly surprised by the results...13whp over the stock intake and about 8whp over just the intake tube extension. These were with a AEM DryFlow filter and yes, the original VW filter was fresh and clean.
Feel free to discuss and/or call me a liar while I dig up the dyno sheets.:cool: