02J will be cryo treating gears anything else to be bullet proof

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
this is for my daily driver Jetta will be around 240 Hp and I do not plan on racing with it but I do quite a bit quick sprints, getting on freeways and so on, and I am afraid that I will blow 3rd or 4th gear,

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Ok I really appreciate your help on the info for my tranny,,so we can get back on the right trac ok My golf has been built looooong time ago so this is NOT for my racer car,, My golf got G force gearing inside 1 through 4th gear and its got .658 cryod and wpc on the 5th its got .316 R&P and LSD as well so this is done the 02J and supposedly it is bullet proof so far I have pushed it hard and I haven't messed it up yet,,
this is for my daily driver Jetta will be around 240 Hp and I do not plan on racing with it but I do quite a bit quick sprints, getting on freeways and so on, and I am afraid that I will blow 3rd or 4th gear,
Glad I could help, but that's the extent of my knowledge on the 02J. Hopefully you can do some more searching and find someone or a shop that has dealt with 02J transmissions a lot and knows how to re-enforce them.

That or they might tell you the same thing we've been telling you that unless you wanna upgrade to a sequential transmission in your 02J, your best bet is to go with a 02M transmission.

You could try calling FFE Racing and see what they would recommend. http://www.fferacing.com/index.html

Good luck with building your 02J.:)

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm leaning towards 02M tranny, but I'd definitely need an LSD, sigma 6 short shifter, SMF clutch and flywheel, I'm looking around $3.5k easy buying all parts and 6 speed tranny

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
What would you have in the 02J you were planning? $3.5k sounds cheap

I've got $5.5k in my 02M
- 2k for complete trans swap assembly from europe (includes clutch, axles, starter, etc)
- 900 for Wavetrack LSD
- 800 for someone to install LSD and perform fork fixes
- 800 for a South Bend Clutch/flywheel (been replaced once, another $800 :()
- 700 for Raxles (replaced one once, warrantied + $70 in shipping)
- 350 for Sigma 6 Short Shifter

Honestly a 240HP, single turbo ALH daily driver sounds like a contradiction in terms.

Many people just do the complete assembly from europe, reusing all the components so you'd have a bit over $2k in it. The DMF clutch holds around 300 ft lbf if I remember, the axles and such are also sufficient for that torque. For a daily driver I'd think this would be sufficient? I "use" mine a lot, have snow to deal with and Raxles were cheaper than OEM axles (not a fan of CRAP) so that was my rationalization for the $ spent :)

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
heh I've got about 2k into my 0a6
but I made my own flywheel and splined my own axles, so with a reasonable labor rate it'd be near your 6k number

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm leaning towards 02M tranny, but I'd definitely need an LSD, sigma 6 short shifter, SMF clutch and flywheel, I'm looking around $3.5k easy buying all parts and 6 speed tranny
Yeah, you could probably buy all the parts for close to $3.5K.
$1450 for complete 6 speed swap from Frans at Dutch Auto Parts. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=434593
$875 for a Peloquin LSD https://www.fourseasontuning.com/02m498005a-peloquin-02m-differential.html
$190 for Sigma 6 Short Shifter
$345 for upgraded shift forks https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Steel-1st-2nd-3rd-4th-Gear-Shift-Fork-6spd-Transmission-Upgrade-02M-02Q.html
$800 for Single Mass Flywheel and clutch kit from DKM Clutch. http://www.dkmclutch.com/base-usa/clutch-kits/ms/
For a grand total of $3,660 for all the complete transmission, plus IMO the necessary upgrades to make the transmission dependable for many years to come. :)
If you can live without the short shifter and can reinforce the shift forks on your own, you can bring the cost down to $3,125 for just the parts

What would you have in the 02J you were planning? $3.5k sounds cheap

I've got $5.5k in my 02M
- 2k for complete trans swap assembly from europe (includes clutch, axles, starter, etc)
- 900 for Wavetrack LSD
- 800 for someone to install LSD and perform fork fixes
- 800 for a South Bend Clutch/flywheel (been replaced once, another $800 :()
- 700 for Raxles (replaced one once, warrantied + $70 in shipping)
- 350 for Sigma 6 Short Shifter

Honestly a 240HP, single turbo ALH daily driver sounds like a contradiction in terms.

Many people just do the complete assembly from europe, reusing all the components so you'd have a bit over $2k in it. The DMF clutch holds around 300 ft lbf if I remember, the axles and such are also sufficient for that torque. For a daily driver I'd think this would be sufficient? I "use" mine a lot, have snow to deal with and Raxles were cheaper than OEM axles (not a fan of CRAP) so that was my rationalization for the $ spent :)
I'm sure quite a few members could just buy the 5 to 6 speed swap and a new OEM or reasonable aftermarket clutch and only have a little bit over $2K into the swap. If they can sell their 5 speed stuff for $8-900, then they only have $1100-$1200 into one of the best upgrades you can do to a MKIV TDI.

Of course for people like Fix_Until_Broke and I, stock hardware just isn't going to cut it for the power and stress these transmissions will see over their lifetime. So we decide to do it right the first time and upgrade the components that are know weak points in the 02M. That's were the extra $2-3K extra can come from when going with a 02M transmission

heh I've got about 2k into my 0a6
but I made my own flywheel and splined my own axles, so with a reasonable labor rate it'd be near your 6k number
So how was your post helpful in anyway shape or form? Other than bragging that you only spent $2K on your transmission upgrade with no link to show how you did it or where to get the 0a6, it's a completely useless post. :(

I know it's not my thread, but I'm guessing MAXRPM doesn't need people posting in his thread that aren't contributing any useful information to help him make his decision on what transmission to go with. :p

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
So how was your post helpful in anyway shape or form? Other than bragging that you only spent $2K on your transmission upgrade with no link to show how you did it or where to get the 0a6, it's a completely useless post. :(
I dunno man, I can leave if you'd like. OP can build up a dead-end 02j with a bunch of pre-existing (but expensive) parts which won't fix the weak link of the trans case and the world can be a more boring place for it.

where else do you find used euro-parts other than ebay.co-uk
thread's easily found with google, really should stick it in my sig some time

ETA: there, jammed it in my sig for easy access

Last edited:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
I dunno man, I can leave if you'd like. OP can build up a dead-end 02j with a bunch of pre-existing (but expensive) parts which won't fix the weak link of the trans case and the world can be a more boring place for it.

where else do you find used euro-parts other than ebay.co-uk
thread's easily found with google, really should stick it in my sig some time

ETA: there, jammed it in my sig for easy access
I'm not saying you have to remove your post, but if you're going to recommend going with a 0A6 transmission it would be nice to include a link on where you got your 0A6 transmission or post where you're installing that transmission.

I agree with you that a 02J isn't a great transmission to use if you're making 200+ hp/ 350+ lb-ft.

Like you mention, now it will be super easy for someone to see the 0A6 link in your sig, click on it and see what you're referring to. :)

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
anybody can post on this thread I do not have an issue like most do here(territorial),,,,, so to answer your question yes you are helping tremendously to make my choice on a tranny, I read that 6 speed is not friendly with SMF they say it eats the synchros, DMF is probably the only way then,

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
Can the pinion brace be installed without cracking open the tranny?