400,000 miles service

tonystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 700K miles, 2000 Jetta 288,000 miles
Going to go see Tom tomorrow to get the timing belt and oil pump chain done. Looking forward to learning a lot.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Awesome. Makes mine feel like a kid (or at least an adolescent). I'm interested in the oil pump chain condition. Please report.

tonystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
We will report on the conditions of the chain, however we had to postpone the repairs today because of the bad weather. Stay tuned for the updates.

tonystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok finally! I'm happy to report that last week I was able to get with Tom (Ninedee_Golf) to perform the 400,000 mile timing belt service. All went well, the high mileage kit I got from ID Parts well put together, I think there might have been one thing missing, but Tom seem to be well stocked with parts. I also changed the alternator pulley, the oil pump chain and tensioner. Tom even let me do some of the dirty work, like removing and cleaning both the valve cover and the oil pan. I even got to change the oil and filter myself for the first time. I always thought it was kind of tricky because I have a bypass filter system, but no it was easy. Tom and Turbo taught me a lot during every visit.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
You are in te sams company as NutsnBolts. Trembleys last chance garage has a 400k+ car. His looks super good too. You both are testement to doing it right.

tonystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
The oil pump chain was hard to tell by just using the naked eye, really didn't look that bad, may have been a little longer but again hard to really tell by just looking at it. The body to me is in pretty good shape, the clear coat on the paint is 90% gone on the hood and also in several spots on the car. MACCO is having a 10-50% off sale on Black Friday, I may have to go and check it out.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
I did my NB chain with 323k on it. Measured the chain with a vernier and the new one measured 8.612" the old one measured 8.619".
Keep in mind my NB always had Delvac oil changes (every 20k) and the miles are 95% highway.
A new chain at 300k is cheap insurance though.