Misfueling guard

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6
I had some diesel in cans and decided to use it and to get fresh diesel in those cans. Then I ran into the misfueling guard. :mad:

I managed to get 5 gallons in with only a little spilling. :mad: My old B4 didn't have this problem. Is that guard really a useful advance that prevents misfueling, or is it just BS? How does the thing work anyway? How do you guys fill with cans, or have you given up on that?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
But keep it handy as it goes back in easily and you may want to put it back before heading to the dealer. A funnel will also work.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Just remove the fueling guard. I did and it's a fairly easy process. Here's the thread with details:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=364065&page=4

X2. My Passat did not have one but my new JSW did. First thing I removed (well second, I removed the stupid dealer advertisement badges first)... You can actually see the fuel now when filling up and the nozzle goes in without having to hold your mouth a certain way...

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
The dealer wanted $22CDN for their bypass adapter.

I went to bmw and bought it for $12CDN (BMW P/N: 16.11.0.440.157).

IT looks like this(not my picture):

I wish vw had designed their misfuel adapter to screw on/off.

I drive in the city and generally fill up when the light goes on. I only plan on using the adapter if I have no other choice if I'm in the middle of nowhere.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
No need to remove anything, just manipulate the mechanism with your fingers (10 & 2 i think) and push the flap in. It will stay open until you fill with a regulation size commercial nozzle.

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
I have a long black funnel - I think I bought from Wal Mart. It had a narrow tip that I had already cut off. Works perfect - slides right in.

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6
just manipulate the mechanism with your fingers (10 & 2 i think) and push the flap in
Well I tried, but it defeated me. I assume you mean to push those black things (at 10 and 2) down (toward the tank) and then push the flap open? I could barely get two index fingers in to do that, and the flap was never released. I thought maybe they were supposed to move out rather than down, but they didn't want to go that way.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Well I tried, but it defeated me. I assume you mean to push those black things (at 10 and 2) down (toward the tank) and then push the flap open? I could barely get two index fingers in to do that, and the flap was never released. I thought maybe they were supposed to move out rather than down, but they didn't want to go that way.
It sounds like you're almost there, it is a little tricky but it does work. I think I pushed the tabs in with two fingers on the same hand and then pushed the flap back with my other hand. It is good to know how to do just in case you need fuel and only have access to a smaller nozzle that won't open the flap.