Where is my oil going? Oil consumption/smoke

Dieselmad

TDI
Jetta MK4 1.9Tdi,
Do not really smell any exhaust fumes when popping the oil fill cap. Taking the head off, to check the head gasket, will be a little beyond my skill set.

I am going to do a full coolant flush to get all the oil out and to see if the oil re-contaminates the coolant reservoir.

I am thinking I may have multiple issues going on...have to start isolating individual problems.
If the oil re-contaminates the coolant then i would start by checking the head gasket first. While the head is off ask your mechanic that you want to check it for yourself and also check the sleeves.

BlueOval

TDI
2003 Jetta sedan and wagon
ON my '03 ALH I was using oil and took the "puc" off the top of the valve cover and inserted a piece of 5/16" fuel line inside and popped it back on the valve cover... this cut my oil consumption down... I tried foam as a test and it just built up too much pressure.. make sure you try it on the valve cover side... dont want to hurt your turbo...

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Is the oil vapor strainer in the PD valve cover replaceable or a new cover is needed ?

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
ON my '03 ALH I was using oil and took the "puc" off the top of the valve cover and inserted a piece of 5/16" fuel line inside and popped it back on the valve cover...
Where did you install the fuel line? Is that inside the puck or the valve cover?

I'm definitely interested, as my 2000 ALH sees a bit of oil blow-by going through the separator.

On that note, has anyone else seen oil seeping from the weep hole on the EGR valve? I was chasing what I thought was a filler cap leak but it turned out to be a fine spray coming from the weep hole under the EGR actuator.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Is that like attaching a cow magnet to the fuel line? " inserted a piece of 5/16" fuel line inside" is not a very thorough explanation of the procedure.

Losts people have seen oil out of the EGR valve vent. Live with it, replace it, don't plug it. Search!

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Restricting the inlet on the CCV pressure regulator (puck) is a bad idea. This increases crankcase pressure and if pressure is high enough it will find its way to freedom via one or more oils seals.

There are 2 viable options for eliminating suspended oil in the blowby gasses: (1) install an inline oil-coalescing filter (Mann Provent, e.g.) between regulator and intake manifold or (2) vent the CCV pressure regulator to atmosphere using a catch can (and plugging the CCV inlet nipple on the intake manifold).

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Regarding possible compromised head gaskets, do combustion leak testers work (for diesels)? Or do compression testers work better?