2001 Golf Auto Transmission Slipping / disengaging

GoGolfing

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 Candy White
At 210,000Km/131,000 miles I've got an AT that performs as if it was low on atf! Problem is: just had the AT service done by a known good independent VW shop. Shifts are rough, sometimes misses. Highway driving is OK except for 6% grade going uphill it's tendency is to downshift and misses (disengages) if I take my foot off the accelerator it catches.

Any ideas??? VW quoted me $4,000 to $7,000 to repair/replace depending on what they find. I find this pricing exhorbitant. How can an auto-transmission be this expensive?

Thanks in advance...

Maybe these trannies are only good for 120K miles - that's what a local (good) dealer told me today.

Frankenwagen

Veteran Member
There is someone on this board that just bought a Jetta automatic with I think it was 310K miles, perhaps km's. Either way, they can last the long haul.

It sounds like the work you had done may have not been done properly.

GoGolfing

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 Candy White
Yes, hooked up Vagcom and reset but does not clear problem... Local independent shop is quoting around $4500 to repair problems... I've got to find out what it includes.
Pricing the auto-trans at VW parts counter is enough to make a person snap... $7000 list price! for an auto-trans

TDICa

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black
Re: 2001 Golf Auto Transmission Slipping / disenga

Check the ATF level again! Slipping on a grade is a sure sign of low ATF; not enough ATF in the sump to hold the clutches in place. Option #2 - the filter could be plugged up, preventing ATF from getting to the pump.

sprucewire

TDI
jetta 02 black

my 02 jetta is at the tranny shop now,only 72000 mi. these prices I see quoted are very painful. Opened the pan and found lots of metal.I'll stop back with damage report

TDICa

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black

If you've got very fine metal flakes, it's normal wear & tear. If there's chucks, the fluid & metal shaving feel course (like rough sandpaper) between your fingers - you've got problems. Also smell the ATF - if there's a strong odor of 'burnt rubber' your clutches are fried.
These are just general tips, to keep your tranny guy honest about the condition of your tranny.