"Heat Rejecting/Reflecting Winshield" - Question

LVPAJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW, 2015, (RIP)
The manual for my 2015 GSW mentions a "Heat Rejecting/Reflecting Winshield" on page 140/141. It shows a diagram for a small communications area that is kept clear.

My windshield was just stone chipped on the highway this morning on my way to work.

How do I know if I have or do not have this type of a windshield?

I've considered adding ceramic clear tint to the inside of the windshield because I can feel the heat radiating off the black dash as I drive down the highway in the summer. If there's a windshield that can do the same thing it saves me the potential issues of tint with NYS inspections then I may just save up and replace the windshield if/when it gets another chip or the current one grows.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
All Mk7 OE windshields have a metalized laminate for heat rejection.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
If yours is an S it came with a w/shield with a really poor laminating layer which was cloudy and had bad distortion. The rain sensor windshields were not as bad. I changed mine to a St Gobain-securit one with a grey, rather than the green tint. Color rendition is vastly improved as well as no distortion in sides, trees don't wiggle anymore. the oe shield cloudiness was particularly apparent driving into the sun when low on the horizon. It looked like a scum was on the glass. The difference in the glass is very obvious the first time you drive after installation. My cost installed was less than 300, difference to me worth 1000.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
My OE Trendline (S in Canada) speak now has a cracked windshield. I'll ask for the St. Gobain replacement.

The other thing I noticed about the OE windshield is that it was more easily pitted than any other windshield I've had. After 50k km it's about as bad as my 12 year old Highlander with 180k km.

LVPAJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW, 2015, (RIP)
I'm sad to hear that the windshield already has the metalized layer. It seems pretty poor compared to the clear ceramic tint I have on all of the other windows. Thanks for the responses.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
IMO heat soaking is a huge issue for the mk7 platform, while I don't have tint on our alltrack (its on the list in the next few weeks) it constantly bakes, I don't trust VW media about any metalized films on the windshield.

The other issue I note is the fresh air intake is pittly pathetic. Fans on 2-3 with temp set on cold without AC outside ambient temp is 65 on a nice spring day, the air coming out of the vents is constantly 85-95F, I did change the air filter last year so not sure if it's due again but it's useless for fresh air without the windows open.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
If you check, I think alltrack has st gobain. The Vitro glass was really bad. All the other glass in my s golf is st gobain green tint. I would give you the numbers for the st gobain but its covered up by inspection sticker on left side.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you check, I think alltrack has st gobain. The Vitro glass was really bad. All the other glass in my s golf is st gobain green tint. I would give you the numbers for the st gobain but its covered up by inspection sticker on left side.

The Alltrack does have st gobain glass but is probably bottom of the barrel, fair amount of pitting at 33K.

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks lvpajetta for posting the part number. Dealer saw my bad glass, but even if the district rep had approved replacement, it would have been with the same awful, trash glass so I don't regret paying 300 for a great piece of glass.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I'm sad to hear that the windshield already has the metalized layer. It seems pretty poor compared to the clear ceramic tint I have on all of the other windows. Thanks for the responses.
I did a ceramic eyebrow tint on the top of the windshield and it helps reduce some of the heat gain coming down into the cabin.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just got the sunroof tinted 40% Formula One pinnacle, was $160. Tint job was meah, has some spots and curd in the film on the edges, and one cut has a small sliver missing by the rear of the front section, but it was worth it for heat rejection. The shop also got their baby spray all over the A pillars and head liner, if you look closely you can see discoloration.

Needless to say I won't be going back to the same shop if i decide to get the other windows tinted.