5w40 vs 15w40

CatherineL

TDI
2006 Volkswagen Beetle TDI diesel
My TDI is a 2006 VW New Beetle. I inherited it 2 1/2 yrs ago from my daughter. To my knowledge, only 5w30 and sometimes 5w40 have been used in it. Mileage is 139k. Yesterday, the foreign auto shop used 15w40 for routine oil change. I assumed they would be using 5w40. I didn't notice the change until I looked at the invoice now a day later. I live in East Texas, thus a hot weather climate w/o snow. I had hoped to stall off next oil change until closer to 10k miles (which will take me the rest of the year to reach). Question is: Need I be concerned about running on 15w40? Thank you in advance.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You need to find another shop, as that one evidently cannot read at a 6th grade level.

The oil requirement in your car is a 505.01 spec 5w40 oil. Changed at 10k mile intervals.

It is in the manual, and there is usually a warning sticker under the hood.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
While a diesel-rated 15w40 oil may not harm your engine immediately, I'm with Oilhammer: replace ASAP with the correct spec oil.

That 15w40 isn't synthetic, it's quite thick and doesn't contain the correct additives required for the Pumpe-Duse engine. I'd also be concerned with coking the turbo due to non-synth oil. Others may swear by it for their big rigs or Cummins, but your TDI is neither of those.

In the future, I wouldn't use that shop (or any other) unless they tell you they stock the correct oil for your car as OH mentioned above. Better yet, I'd do my own oil changes just to make sure it's done right.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
^^^all of the above. Find a tech that knows what he's doing.
Where are you in East Texas? Someone here might be able to help you locate a competent tech.

FarmerboyTdi

TDI
2006 Jetta
That 15w40 isn't synthetic, it's quite thick and doesn't contain the correct additives required for the Pumpe-Duse engine.
I’m not disagreeing with you since it is not stated what type 15w40 oil was used but there are plenty of full synthetic 15w40 oils available. Also 40 weight is 40 wt. 15 is only thicker when cold. If 5w40 is fine for -10f cold starts then 15 would be fine for +20f.
The only question should be the oil specs for the cat and other critical wear points.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I’m not disagreeing with you since it is not stated what type 15w40 oil was used but there are plenty of full synthetic 15w40 oils available. Also 40 weight is 40 wt. 15 is only thicker when cold. If 5w40 is fine for -10f cold starts then 15 would be fine for +20f.
The only question should be the oil specs for the cat and other critical wear points.
PDs eat cams even with the right oil

trouble with 15w is real cold starts, it'll pump up the hydraulic lifters and stall to not start again until the lifters leak down when the engine warms up in spring

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It's also entirely possible that somebody goofed on the invoice and 5w40 was used. If it is 15w40, it's probably kinder to the engine than the 5w30 used in the past- at least in the Texas environment. HDEO' s have come a long way in the last 20 years.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The cat is not lubricated by engine oil. If you don't feel like using the correct oil why are you asking for validation here? Sure you can rationalize using the wrong oil by waiting for someone to come along to wrongly justify your decision.

At least 4 people told you to use the correct oil, which is VW spec 505.01. 5W-40.

FarmerboyTdi

TDI
2006 Jetta
PDs eat cams even with the right oil
trouble with 15w is real cold starts, it'll pump up the hydraulic lifters and stall to not start again until the lifters leak down when the engine warms up in spring
And I’m not disagreeing with the cold starts as I said. You will notice (if you take the time to look) that he is in east Texas. It rarely gets below freezing even in the winter much less in summer. Up north where it regularly gets WAY below freezing in winter do you park it for the winter? As I said, 15w40 is thinner at 32f than 5w40 at -32f.
Also Rattler, I know the cat is not lubed by oil?, but the wrong spec oil can have additives that will plug the cat. If you tell me that’s not true I’ll stop using Euro spec oil and go with something with better anti-wear additives. If I ever get a catless down pipe I will switch to something better.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Look around and try to find a full synthetic 15w-40 andof the ones that are out there I seriously doubt that is what was used.
One of the most "critical wear points" (other than the PD cam) is the turbo. Conventional oil(s) won't stand the heat on these tiny ultra high rpm devices.
But, if you intend to justify the 15w-40, leave it in there/continue using it. Many have-I suppose.

Last edited:

rrgrassi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI 5 speed
A friend of mine owns a VW repair shop. He has had many PD engines come in with bad cams, due to people not using the correct Euro spec oil. Mobile One Diesel truck does not even meet the 505.x spec.

So, use the proper oil, if you want that engine to last.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Suggested by this forums PD cam guru

As for Schaeffer's oil, I don't think it's far from reality, that our PD cam kits, with the proper oil, which we think is Schaeffer's 9000 5-40, that Schaeffer's Oil company has noted an increase in usage since we have been promoting it. Our cam success is not because of a single improvement.

Maybe that's not the way some see it. When we are talking oil, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
A friend of mine owns a VW repair shop. He has had many PD engines come in with bad cams, due to people not using the correct Euro spec oil. Mobile One Diesel truck does not even meet the 505.x spec.

PD tdi's are going to wear out cams no matter what oil is used. It's just a piss poor design.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Do you have the link to this thread? I’m using Schaeffer’s 5W-40 in our 2014 JSW. I’d like to read the rest of the thread. I’ve been a big believer of Schaeffer’s for the last 15 years.
Big number one here. If you are using Schaeffer's 5W-40 in your 2014 CR you are not using the correct spec oil for your engine. If by chance you have deleted your emission control systems I guess it doesn't matter but you're on your own. Franko6 is the PD cam guru, go to guy and recommends Schaeffers 9000 5W-40 because of the design errors made by VW in developing their PD engine with flat tappet rockers. Your 2014 CR has roller rockers and the 5W-40 spec is unnecessary and will probably lead to an early demise of your dpf.

Last edited:

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Your 2014 CR has roller rockers and the 5W-40 spec is unnecessary and will probably lead to an early demise of your dpf.
Oh gee, that sounds like a terrible thing. Certainly that is a concern since my own 2014 arrived with 37mpg highway and after I did an oil change and hit a strategic pothole the mileage is now 45mpg highway.

I used and will continue to use high quality diesel rated Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck or Mobil 1 Delvac 1 or Delvac ESP 5w-40. The magical VW rated 30 weight oil does not appear to protect the ENGINE with its ratings and abilities, despite their concern for the DPF. What good is protecting a DPF if you are sending the main bearings into the exhaust?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The weight of the oil has nothing directly related to the low ash formulation for DPF friendliness anyways.

That said, the CR seems fine with 5w30. Meaning, I've yet to see one with any mechanical engine issues and I have one approaching 400k miles, so...

We run 5w40 in literally every other DPF equipped diesel that comes in here, which includes GM (Isuzu/Fiat/Opel/VM), ChryCo (MB/VM/Cummins), Ford, MB, etc.

I think the BMW diesels spec a 0w30 LL-12FE though.

We just put in the oil that meets the spec. Easier that way, and no worries about any troubles down the road.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Oh gee, that sounds like a terrible thing. Certainly that is a concern since my own 2014 arrived with 37mpg highway and after I did an oil change and hit a strategic pothole the mileage is now 45mpg highway.
Why do smarty pants guys like you have to pop into a thread with crap like you did?
Did the OP ask if he hit a strategic pothole after changing his oil would help him decide as to what is the correct oil to use in his engine.

Last edited:

mrowens33

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta sedan slushbox, 2004 Jetta wagon manual( my Noble Steed)
230K and counting on my cam

My TDI is a 2006 VW New Beetle. I inherited it 2 1/2 yrs ago from my daughter. To my knowledge, only 5w30 and sometimes 5w40 have been used in it. Mileage is 139k. Yesterday, the foreign auto shop used 15w40 for routine oil change. I assumed they would be using 5w40. I didn't notice the change until I looked at the invoice now a day later. I live in East Texas, thus a hot weather climate w/o snow. I had hoped to stall off next oil change until closer to 10k miles (which will take me the rest of the year to reach). Question is: Need I be concerned about running on 15w40? Thank you in advance.
I have 230 K and counting on my PD cam using Liqui Moly 5w40 the whole time. At last inspection at 190K the cam was in perfect shape. Use the right oil, worry less.
https://www.idparts.com/liqui-moly-diesel-high-tech-5w40-liter-p-2138.html

mizzn44

TDI
'02 Jetta
Use 5w-40, disregard the 505.01 spec. I've had my TDI since new and have done all my oil changes. While under warranty I did use the 505.01 sec. Once warranty expired I use whatever 5w-40 happened to be on sale that weekend. Now at 350,000 miles I'm using roughly 1/4 quart between 10,000 mile oil changes. At last timing belt change cam was well within spec. 5w-40 is 5w-40, enjoy.

Last edited:

mizzn44

TDI
'02 Jetta

So tell us exactly how your friend knows the bad cams are due to not using 505.x spec. Is he a oil and metal engineer with all to proper diagnostic tools to evaluate said wear?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Use 5w-40, disregard the 505.01 spec. I've had my TDI since new and have done all my oil changes. While under warranty I did use the 505.01 sec. Once warranty expired I use whatever 5w-40 happened to be on sale that weekend. Now at 350,000 miles I'm using roughly 1/4 quart between 10,000 mile oil changes. At last timing belt change cam was well within spec. 5w-40 is 5w-40, enjoy.
your 02 is an ALH
you can practically run canola oil in the crankcase

or at least conventional 5w30 doesn't seem to hurt them too much

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
post #18 (Oilhammer) is the only one here that I would trust. He sees a lot of cars, and is highly regarded here.

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
My BEW cam showed significant wear at about 100K miles using nothing but 505.01 oil. After reading about a million posts on this forum with oil analysis, I switched to CJ-4 oil (Mobil one TDT) i'm now at 200K and everything looks fine. I did replace the original cam with a colt cam and the hardened (black) lifters.

That's my sample size of one. I'd consider going back to 505.01 oil when I move to a colder climate next year. I have no idea if it will make any difference.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
My BEW cam showed significant wear at about 100K miles using nothing but 505.01 oil. After reading about a million posts on this forum with oil analysis, I switched to CJ-4 oil (Mobil one TDT) i'm now at 200K and everything looks fine. I did replace the original cam with a colt cam and the hardened (black) lifters.

That's my sample size of one. I'd consider going back to 505.01 oil when I move to a colder climate next year. I have no idea if it will make any difference.
505.01 in 5W40 or 5W30 flavor?

US VW dealers most likely used this for PD TDIs starting in 2004: Castrol Edge Professional OE 5W-30 leading to large percentage of premature cam failures!