Beetle engine won't turn over.

TNTDI

TDI
98 Jetta(sold), 99 Jetta, 2000 Beetle, 2002 golf
I have a 2000 Beetle with 82k. I did an intake clean, EGR/Cooler delete. I also replaced the VNT-15 actuator. Took the car out for a test drive. It finally has some power. Maybe went a mile and it shut down. I coasted to my driveway. It now won't even crank over. The dash lights and glow plug light comes on, but the starter won't crank. What did I do to my wifes Beetle??

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Good question:D How's the oil level? can you turn the engine over by hand? If it's a manual you could jack up one of the drive wheels and put the car in 5th and try it that way. Was there any noise before it shut down? Have you checked all the fuses?:)

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I have a 2000 Beetle with 82k. I did an intake clean, EGR/Cooler delete. I also replaced the VNT-15 actuator. Took the car out for a test drive. It finally has some power. Maybe went a mile and it shut down. I coasted to my driveway. It now won't even crank over. The dash lights and glow plug light comes on, but the starter won't crank. What did I do to my wifes Beetle??
What's the TB history on the Beetle?? Please don't say it was the original!!
Don't try cranking it over any more until you determine what's wrong. Remove passenger front wheel and try to carefully rotate engine by the crankshaft pulley bolt. If you come to sudden resistance while turning clockwise-stop.

TNTDI

TDI
I checked the fuses visually and the oil level is fine. The belt appears to be intacked. I don't know the history prior to 65k. I'll try and move the crank today. It just shut down. No loud bang or nasty noises. Just heard the turbo winding down. The turbo seemed to be working for the first time in along time. The VNT was froze.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I checked the fuses visually and the oil level is fine. The belt appears to be intacked. I don't know the history prior to 65k. I'll try and move the crank today. It just shut down. No loud bang or nasty noises. Just heard the turbo winding down. The turbo seemed to be working for the first time in along time. The VNT was froze.
So you don't know if its the original TB, or if it was changed before 65K??
If you don't/didn't know for sure-it gets changed for sure. Push down real firmly on the belt. Should not deflect at all.

TNTDI

TDI
Belt deflects and has some crazing. It needs to be changed. Just put a socket on the crank. It does not turn under enough pressure to move the engine in the mounts. How can this be locked up??

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Belt deflects and has some crazing. It needs to be changed. Just put a socket on the crank. It does not turn under enough pressure to move the engine in the mounts. How can this be locked up??
It needed to be changed before now.
Piston is touching a valve. If the belt has deflection, tensioner probably failed and timing has slipped. Head needs to come off and repaired.

TNTDI

TDI
Thanks Jettawreck. The timing belt as far as I can see hass all it's teeth. The other thought was I loosened up apiece of carbon/soot when I cleaned the intake. When I got on the highway and shifted at higher rpms. The turbo finaly working blew it in deeper.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Thanks Jettawreck. The timing belt as far as I can see hass all it's teeth. The other thought was I loosened up apiece of carbon/soot when I cleaned the intake. When I got on the highway and shifted at higher rpms. The turbo finaly working blew it in deeper.
Bingo!! Valve hanging open due to carbon blockage is first guess.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
That's got to be a mighty tough chunk of carbon to stop a spinning engine.

have you tried rotating the engine in both directions from the crank bolt? No motion?

TNTDI

TDI
Was told clockwise only on the crank. I think the belt jumped a tooth or 2. Being a little loose and a good turbo pulled it. I will pull the valve cover next. Hopefully it was a soft landing.

thesearcherman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
You know, this is like the third person this week who ran their timing belt to long, even if that is not the problem here. What the Government should do is require anyone who buys/owns a car with a timing belt, be required to take random drug tests as long as they own the car. It is beyond stupid to drive a car after the recommended TB change time/milege. One of the reasons we don't get the 65 mpg cars here that are in Europe, we are to stupid to own them. HA-HA

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Was told clockwise only on the crank. I think the belt jumped a tooth or 2. Being a little loose and a good turbo pulled it. I will pull the valve cover next. Hopefully it was a soft landing.
If you cann't turn it over it cann't be that "soft".
Whenever there is valve contact, the head comes off and gets some (depends on how many) new valves and a set of lifters-maybe a cam.

TNTDI

TDI
Searcherman(TDI's none) likes to hear himself talk I guess. No constructive info from him. I was told belt was done before 60k. so much for trust. I will be taking off the head tonight.

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Searcherman likes to hear himself talk I guess. No constructive info from him. I was told belt was done before 60k. so much for trust. I will be taking off the head tonight.
Unfortunately, its one of those things that if you don't have 100% proof, you have it done/re-done so you do know. Trusting ends up costing.:(

TNTDI

TDI
timing belt looks fine. Heads off and looks good. pan is off and nothing in it. No metal parts or shavings. Maybe a rod or crank bearing spun?? The crank will not turn.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I hope it's not the gearbox after all that effort:eek: Maybe have to remove the big end caps and see if the pistons move at all.

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
You know, this is like the third person this week who ran their timing belt to long, even if that is not the problem here. What the Government should do is require anyone who buys/owns a car with a timing belt, be required to take random drug tests as long as they own the car. It is beyond stupid to drive a car after the recommended TB change time/milege. One of the reasons we don't get the 65 mpg cars here that are in Europe, we are to stupid to own them. HA-HA
Obvious troll is... well, obvious.

TNTDI

TDI
Wiggled the crank and rods. Seem to be free. #4 was not moving visibly. Took it off no problem with the rod bear. How..ever.. Bent connecting rod. The metal plate (sensor plate?) next to #4 is cracked and some shavings are visible. I was able to turn the crank a 1/2 rotation. Time to take out #4 piston and see the damage.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wierd, I've only read of that with hydrolock from people hitting big puddles.

TNTDI

TDI
Ok, here's the poop. It appears that a screw from the speed sensor plate backout and the head got sheared off. It then got in #4's way and bent the rod. Top rod bearing worn off to 1 side. Cylinder walls are fine and the crank is fine. Since I'm this far down. What would be money well spent to build it back out. I know the obvious rod/crank bearings, connecting rod and piston/rings(do all 4?). What else? 82k on the Beetle. Thinking clutch...

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
Ok, here's the poop. It appears that a screw from the speed sensor plate backout and the head got sheared off. It then got in #4's way and bent the rod. Top rod bearing worn off to 1 side. Cylinder walls are fine and the crank is fine. Since I'm this far down. What would be money well spent to build it back out. I know the obvious rod/crank bearings, connecting rod and piston/rings(do all 4?). What else? 82k on the Beetle. Thinking clutch...
You don't have to drop the engine out to rebuild the bottom end. Pull the head, pull the oil pan and follow your bentley.

Once all that is done, drop the tranny and and start. but I see no reason to do all the work at once - I can't see any labor savings, save the oil pan if you have to do the rear main seal.

Yes, re-ring all 4. No reason to leave for 200K miles from now what you can do today ;)

TNTDI

TDI
No Bentley yet. Replacement list: TB kit, rod/crank bearings, 4 pistons/rings and rods, piston oiler, speed sensor plate, gaskets/seals a given. Maybe a clutch? Anything else??

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Do you have to drop the crank to change that speed sensor plate? If so, might as well pull engine.

Photos of the carnage would help us curious sort.

TNTDI

TDI
Since I'm doing a timing belt. Thought I could just slide it over and change crank bearings. Wheres the best quality and price for these parts? I'll try a photo upload next.

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
Why are you replacing all the pistons and rods? Why not just the damaged rod and piston? Then all rings/rod bearings/head work. I would not assume that the main bearings should be replaced; I'm not an expert but it seems that lots of people do head/rings/rod bearings and leave the mains in place. My understanding is that they're pretty tough.

You should call Franko6 on this forum and ask his advice. He's a machinist who has a stellar reputation for rebuilding these engines.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Since I'm doing a timing belt. Thought I could just slide it over and change crank bearings. Wheres the best quality and price for these parts? I'll try a photo upload next.
I like to buy from vendors on the forum:
Dennis at metalman parts.
Aaron at bora parts
id parts
Been happy with all of them personally and I know there are others that are good, I just haven't spread it around that much I guess.
The suggestion to talk with Franko6 is a good one. He's a helpful guy.

Yes, pics are good for us curious ones since this is an unusual incident. Jettawreck likes pictures!

TNTDI

TDI
I have a picture but it's asking for a url address, huh?? Thanks jettawreck with me from the beginning.. This is uncharted waters for me. Will call Franko6 next.