MK7 Brake Upgrade

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Correct about the keying, I'm asking if you ordered lines with fitting I have selected in my picture... or did you have to call them to order something custom?

One side is a banjo bolt, for the caliper. I want to make sure I order lines with the correct fitting for the vehicle side.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
lines are 14" instead of factory 12" tell Chris there you want lines made with the round line fitting with the circlip groove. Look at stop-tech picture for 2015 gti. order any color you like. I ordered the round banjo end so I could swivel for best position. Now if smeone knows of ebrake cables either longer, so you can route like original or a little shorter, so it lays neatly on top of twist beam axle.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
The rear brake mod on our beam axle cars makes a bigger difference than the 312mm front rotor mod. Together, its a weiner.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
The rear brake mod on our beam axle cars makes a bigger difference than the 312mm front rotor mod. Together, its a weiner.
Why do you say that? I always thought our cars (and most cars I suppose) were forward brake biased. I've only upgraded the fronts, to 330mm, so I'll never know what rears only feels like. I upgraded for looks but even the performance oriented BBK's on our platform seem to all be front only.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you notice, the 2019 jetta has same beam rear axle setup, it has the calipers oriented same position,although they are electro park brake. The backing plates are larger to accommodate the 271mm rotors. Pads as well are the larger size as used on gti. By drilling and tapping the securing cap screw, it may be possible to use the gti calipers without any rerouting of ebrake cables. It will be easy enough to change the backing plates so as not having to modify them. It would seem obvious that VAG realized that the smaller rear rotors on our tdi golfs were too small and inadequate judging from comments about rear brake wear. What do you think? I used akebono ceramic gti pads on the rear combined with drilled/ slotted zink plated rotors, pair/52bucks.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Interesting, thought the 2019 Jetta inherited everything with the move over to the same platform as the the Mk7 Golf(s). I know the TDI is using the torsion beam because of the DEF tank so I guess the Jetta, being cheaper than the Golf, uses it for cost savings versus IRS.

I figured the difference in brake sizes between all of these mqb cars was mostly based on performance, with the TDI being lowest on the totem pole for Mk7s thus getting the smallest brakes. I don't know how the TDI compares to the 1.4 in the Mk7.5.

I wonder if accelerated wear on the smaller brakes is because all of the Golfs have the same brake booster and master cylinder. Presumably it's designed with the biggest brakes it will ever have to support in mind and putting anything smaller on it just gives a heightened, if false, sense of brake performance while also wearing through pads quicker. I like the way my pedal feels now with big brakes up front more than I did stock which felt grabby. The GTI/PP/R have a different booster and master cylinder.

I think I read about some coding for different brake sizes in the ABS module in a vcds tweak thread on one of the other forums but I don't remember if anybody ever really figured out what it does. Some members thought it may primarily affect XDS, in combination with the XDS specific tweaks that can be made.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Your front brakes are 340mm, not 312? The 340 have different piston bores where as the 312mm calipers are same as the smaller rotor. Rear gti calipers for 271mm rotors are same piston bore as stock caliper, therefore your car might perform differently? The jetta uses 312 front,271 rear, just as we're doing here.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
abs should and does work normally on my car with no recording.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Yes, I have 6 piston brembo (17z, 330mm rotor) up front so my car will feel different. I was curious about why you thought the rear upgrade would make such a big difference on our specific cars as a general matter.

And yes, no coding required when changing brake setup. I was just mentioning that ABS module (on at least some of the mqb platform cars, can't say on ours specifically because I haven't checked) does have an adaptation that references brake size, just not sure anyone knows how it affects the system, if at all.

In any case, I will be calling technafit this week to order some limes for my car, with 12mm banjo as I'm fitting the PP/R rear caliper, 310mm.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Original lines are 12mm banjo and might be long enough. On the two vehicles I'm converting, on one, replaced the fronts only, on second, replaced the rears only. Voila, that is the basis I arrived at the conclusion that the rear brakes made more of a difference than the fronts. Then, finding that the non beam axle golfs never used the skimpy smaller rotor/caliper combo used on the 2015 golf tdi family. The pad size itself is a mistake. The new 2019 jetta, which is by no means a true drivers car, except for the gli, is equiped with at least with better brake setup than our cars were.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Your conversion is probably overkill, but so much the better over stock. the gti '16, 18 calipers i used were only $40 each. Depending on the rear pads you use, you'll feel a huge difference from the rear upgrade, although unless you change m/c you may have lower pedal, resulting in slightly slower response time.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
The 17z and 18z are powerful calipers no doubt....and look FANTASTIC. But the mismatch w/front to rear caliper volume differences gave me some concerns. I was concerned about excessive pedal travel. I understand some feel it's not too bad, I honestly have no 1st hand knowledge though. I feel that may also be more of a personal taste thing? For me, I'd want more powerful brakes and a high responsive pedal (low travel).

On my 2015 Passat TDI I've chosen to go the B6 Passat/VR6/AWD front calipers/stands, 345mm rotors, and shields (same as the R32...just cheaper/easier to source). And will try and source the R32 rear calipers/stands, 310mm vented rotor, and shields (not so easy to source :)). And it has to be the R32 as the B6 Passat has an electric E-brake vs cable on the R32 (B6 Passat uses the same stands, rotor, and shield as the R32).
Basically, a front and rear BBK using OEM parts. The front caliper has a bit more volume requirement. If the pedal travel feels excessive I would imagine an OEM master cyl swap would be possible....either a PP equipped application, an R32, or the above mentioned Passat/VR6/AWD? I have not researched which MC w/directly swap over though.
I have the front calipers/stands already. It is a larger caliper frame and a slightly larger piston. Pad is NOT much bigger than the 312mm pad though....kind of a lot of caliper for such a similar pad size. Maybe the bonus will come from the leverage the larger rotors offer..?

PS. I have read where the brake feel can be adjusted via VAGCOM....I think it's found under ABS? Anyway, a setting can be changed and set to "strong". Can anyone confirm that?

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I was concerned about pedal feel as well, and actually had the GTI/PP/R master cylinder with me to install at the time I had the 17z fitted. After the brakes were fitted we found that we needed the GTI/PP/R brake booster as well, the master cylinder is not a direct swap. Couldn't source a brake booster before I needed the car again so we reinstalled the original master cylinder with the 17z.

Pedal travel prior to initial brake engagement is no different but braking is noticeably more progressive. I much prefer it to stock which I felt was grabby. And of course now there is a ton of stopping power available. This was a concern for me as my wife and sister drive my car often. If the pedal had a become soft or required excessive travel I would have already gone back to have the other brake booster and large master cylinder installed.

I will have them installed when I get the rear PP calipers installed though. At that point I will have larger brakes all around and pedal feel/travel is definitely a concern. Full disclosure, all of my brake upgrades are cosmetic and overkill for how I drive. I'm in CA so a power upgrade beyond the CR190 (since I need to keep emissions equipment) is out of the question and I don't track/autocross. I have driven the canyons once (in my Mk4) and I use cruise control most of the time to keep fuel consumption down. We're up over $4/gal in my area.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My costs for conversion; ft rotors drilled, slotted plated 88/pair, gti callipers 80/pair, rear drilled,slotted, plated rotors 55, rear gti calipers 80/pair, akebono ceramic pads 69, brake lines stainless 14" custom 50. No need for m/c change.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
My costs for conversion; ft rotors drilled, slotted plated 88/pair, gti callipers 80/pair, rear drilled,slotted, plated rotors 55, rear gti calipers 80/pair, akebono ceramic pads 69, brake lines stainless 14" custom 50. No need for m/c change.
This is a conversion to your '15 Passat TDI? On the rear you are referring to the GTI PP package correct? Because the standard calipers/rotors/brackets are the same between Passat (271x10) and GTI (271x10) except the color "Red" for the GTI. The PP brought in the 310x22 vented disk and obviously a different caliper/bracket.

If that is correct, then I can add GTI w/PP to my hunt for rear calipers/brackets as the R32 is rather hard to source....and the upcharge in the yards because it's an "R"....;)

EDIT: I see that you may be referring to your '15 Golf?

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
These two cars are 2015 tdi's one hatch one wagon. gti calipers non pp. I don't know if the pp 310 rear calipers will create any additional problems like bracket mounting at rear. I took the ebrake arms off the original tdi calipers yesterday. he arms are on spline so reorinting them on the gti rear calipers will only involve drilling/ tapping hole for the cap screw securing the arm assemblies so that the cables need no rerouting at all,

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
As for the dust shields (for the front at least), I have a pair of PP waiting at the dealer for me so I can test fit around the 18z calipers.
To update this comment, the PP dust shields fit. I had to take just a small 1/8" off the top corner on each side as they were just barely contacting the caliper. A quick small cut with some tin snips and they are good to go. Hopefully this keeps my wheels from turning black so fast.