2000 tdi jetta no start?

kenoconnell

TDI
2001 tdi automatic(1.9)
bought a 2000 tdi jetta 5 speed.330kms.I new it didnt run.when I got it home I put a battery in it and it started so I drove it.it puffed and smoked and sputtered.(black smoke)but when I got it in 3rd gear it took off like a rocket..the timing has been checked and is bang on! any suggestions?I drove it on the highway about 5 kms..took it home and now it only runs when its on ether when its sprayed through breather.???I dont have compression tester to see if injection pump is screwed???any other ideas how to test???????..HELP!

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GLS 5 speed
When you removed the hose from the intercooler to the intake did you see a clogged up everything? That needs to be cleaned.

You are not supposed to spray ether in an engine that has glow plugs I have read.

Fuel and air filters have been replaced? Fuel filter has been filled with fuel via your MityVac vacuum pump?

kenoconnell

TDI
2001 tdi automatic(1.9)
how else do you get it to run with out ether..and I agree but I need to know if motor is ok that was a test only and a minor test at that...my main concern is its worth putting another injection pump on it.?maybe try to run a new line to see if the fuel is bad.?who knows whats in the tank?

85_305

Banned
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 5spd
I cant help much further at this point, but all I know is that thing will literally become a bomb detonating spraying ether. Wait for more responses for help. I'm not so sure if it's an ip either.

dalchri

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle
Do you have the clear fuel line going from the fuel filter to the IP?

If so, is there fuel in the line or lots of air/bubbles? Some bubbles is normal.

If not, divert the return line from the IP to the fuel filter to a catch can. Attempt to start the car. Does fuel come out?

If you see air in the clear supply line or no fuel comes out of the return line, you need to prime the IP by pulling a vacuum on the return line. Then you need to crack the injection lines and bleed them.

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GLS 5 speed
Well, it's perfectly obvious that's not the problem since it ran "like a rocket" when it got going.
When you are working on a car you take car of the basic things like making sure the intake is clean. Making sure the anti-shudder valve is not getting stuck half closed and on down the line. Runs like a rocket could mean it runs better than a 40 hp anti-shudder half stuck and happened to pop open but still restricted intake. Going from 40 to 60 hp could seem like a big deal.:)

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
how else do you get it to run with out ether..and I agree but I need to know if motor is ok that was a test only and a minor test at that...my main concern is its worth putting another injection pump on it.?maybe try to run a new line to see if the fuel is bad.?who knows whats in the tank?
Some people have had better luck using WD40 which is a bit less risky.

I think Injection Pump should be the last thing on the list of stuff to think about. They are expensive and, from my knowledge, rarely go out.

fnj2

Veteran Member
Some people have had better luck using WD40 which is a bit less risky.
Injecting ANYTHING flammable in an uncontrolled manner into the air induction is WRONG, period. It doesn't solve anything; it doesn't help finding the real problem; it isn't necessary; the engine is going to have to be able to start without it anyway; and it is DANGEROUS. Damage caused thereby may not be immediately evident.

Just don't do it.

kenoconnell

TDI
2001 tdi automatic(1.9)
my fault codes?help

po380-glow plug heater circuit
p1563-quantity adjuster lower line attained
p1354-modulation piston displ.sensor circuit malfunction
p1144-mass or air flow sensor open or short to ground
p0303-cylinder 3 misfire

any suggestions what this translates to?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Step 1: DON'T USE ETHER

Step 2: Clear the codes using your scan tool and see what comes back the next time you try to start the engine.

Step 3: Post results from Step 2.

Those codes definitely indicate some significant issues with your car.

Where in Canada are you (it's a big place)?

Is this a new problem or have you had starting problems in the past?

Is it only on cold starts or do you have problems when the engine is warm, too?

Last edited:

fnj2

Veteran Member
po380-glow plug heater circuit
p1563-quantity adjuster lower line attained
p1354-modulation piston displ.sensor circuit malfunction
p1144-mass or air flow sensor open or short to ground
p0303-cylinder 3 misfire
any suggestions what this translates to?
1) Disregarding the glow problem for now
2) The MAF wiring is hosed
3) There is a possible problem the injection pump or the wiring for same is hosed

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Sorry, I forgot that you mentioned that this is a new-to-you car.

kenoconnell

TDI
2001 tdi automatic(1.9)
got new Injection pump installed.been manually spraying diesel fuel in system .doesnt want to run.???I have fuel and glow plugs and good injection spray but it wont run? when I hooked up new IP should I disconnect battery to clear codes? I dont know what else it could be ?

fnj2

Veteran Member
got new Injection pump installed.been manually spraying diesel fuel in system .doesnt want to run.???I have fuel and glow plugs and good injection spray but it wont run? when I hooked up new IP should I disconnect battery to clear codes? I dont know what else it could be ?
What does "manually spraying diesel fuel in system" mean? Ref. the first post, how was timing checked?

Last edited:

rackaracka

Veteran Member
So you've put a new IP on the car? Where did you get it? I've seen rebuilt chinese copies run for a bit and then grenade.

Do you have access to VagCom VCDS?

loganddplus

TDI
Jetta
How did you determine IP was bad? Mine battery keeps running down and I tried the start function with the charger. Didn't work and I think I've got other elec. issues i.e. fuse 21. Anyway I wasn't getting any fuel in the clear line. I pull started it in 1st gear and it runs fine and starts fine. Did you try pull starting it? They will break to lead eventually. LOL I've got some bubbles in the line but it runs. My car is a 98 Jetta with about 300K on it.