Autotracker-keeps track of maintenance on your computer

Dan Doornek

Are you anal about maintenance and would like a nice way to track it on your computer? Check this out from Pennzoil then. (I wouldn't gunk up my engine with their oil, but this little piece of software is nice!) You have to answer a few questions first, but after you hit the register button, the program will start to download. I think it took about 15 minutes or so for me. For some reason, when I tried downloading this a year or so ago, with Netscape, it wouldn't work. Now I've got Internet Explorer, and it worked just fine.

Anyway, here's the link: (my apologies if I screw this up, first time I've tried a link)
http://www.pennzoil.com/carcare/autotracker/register.asp

M

mickey

Thanks! I really AM that anal, so I'll definitely d/l it.

-mickey

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

I used Autotracker for quite some time. After a few database dumps, the inability to archive and restore lost files, and the hassle with backdating certain items, I decided to create a spreadsheet that does the same thing. I got a little help from friends and eventually refined it into a pretty cool document. Of course, if you don't have Excel then it's worthless to you. But give it a look. Perhaps you'll like it and be able to modify it for your own use. Click here to see it.

Take Care,

------------------
Scott's Jetta TDI Page and TDIClub.com Stuff
98 Jetta TDI w/92k, 802-mi/55-mpg (best)

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
Well I took a look and well it turns out to be exactly what I have done with excel.

I'll put my file up soon. Mine actually tracks fuel mileage graphically, every fueling, cost per mile, cost per trip to work, total fuel consumed, total price paid, avg mileage, costs for vehicle (not fuel related), insurance, loan payment, fuel and accesory costs per mile, total costs per mile - costs regardless of mileage
All on an excel sheet.

Running a fantasy cycling league helped me learn about using excel to keep track of lots of numbers (points) and different variables.

It was your sheet I think scott - or someone elses - that prompted me to start my own.

--

One thing I don't like about this Autotracker is that it defaults to a 3,000 mile/3 month oil change . . . big thumbs down for that. . .

think diesel

Veteran Member
Now..if they only had it for Palm OS!

------------------
1999 New Jetta GL TDI
Atlantic Blue/Gray studio

Mods: VW rubber floor mats, Ultra Nørsk Pine scented air freshener.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
I am outa the loop on hand held PCs but isn't there an Excel that runs under Windows CE?

Seems simple enough? Right?

I don't have hand held devices - don't have much use for them yet or the funds to create a use if you know what I mean . . . this does sound like a good use though

of course my laptop that is waiting for a VAG-CAM cable might just get the stuff and start keeping all that stuff on it. . .

just looking through my new www.iGO.com paper catalog at the power inverters for the computer . . .

Dan Doornek

GeWilli- Autotracker does default to the 3,000mi.-3 mo oil change interval but you can delete that and put your own in. I,ve changed mine to 5,000 mi-5 mo.

One of the things I like about Autotracker is that it,s simple enough for a relatively software challenged individual like myself to master. It will track maintenance on your vehicle(s), sort it by mileage, add up the total costs, and remind you when maintenance is due. It will also keep info on ins. policies, has an address book for dealers, shops or whatever, and another area for a to-do list. So far, for the price($0.00), it works well enough for me.

-Dan

RES

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 1997 Passat (Totaled in Accident) 2010 Jetta Sportwagon TDI
Dan:
I downloaded Autotracker and installed it. I expected to see a table of maintenance intervals like on the VW tech site. All that comes up are blank sheets. I was expecting to see some examples on how to use it. Are there instructions somewhere? How have you set up your log?

Dan Doornek

RES,

I'm not familiar with the setup on the VW tech site, and it's been some time since I've installed Autotracker.

While I don't think there are any specific instructions per se, it's pretty self-explanatory. (Maybe something didn't set-up correctly on your computer)

I believe it started by asking basic info. about your vehicle(s)-when they were purchased, how many miles per year you drive, make,model, etc. Each vehicle is then broken down into four diff. icons-maintenance,basic information,loan-lease, and business use. Maintenance is divided by tabs into a schedule and a log. The maint. schedule is fairly basic, what you'd expect for most cars. I deleted all of mine, checked the VW manual and set my own up. I counted 21 different "items" I've listed on the schedule that need to be performed at various intervals. As far as the log goes, it's filled in when you perform these maint. items or any other unscheduled maint. that you can simply add to the log.

Hope it will work for you.
-Dan