Rate my intended combination (pd130)

stefan2m

TDI
CDYA 3.0 tdi
There are so many combinations to make when upgrading parts.
My car is a '03 Euro 3BG pd130 and is stock other than a remap, resulting in a healthy 174hp and 374Nm(/275lb) on the dyno.
Because of it's age and mileage, the car nearing economical end of life, so other than maintenance I don't really want to pump a whole lot of money in this car anymore to get the most out of it; the exhaust is rusty, dented and patched up, has a rattle so I was thinking of replacing the old chimney front to back.
One thing that is not expensive, is a 2.5" downpipe; on a turbo petrol car I owned years ago, a step up from a 2.5" dp and 2.25" exhaust to a full 3" system (and supporting remap) meant a healthy power increase and a much broader powerband and a nicer engine character.
So I was wondering what I should expect from a bigger downpipe (I can piece together an exhaust myself to keep cost low, but I'll have to buy the downpipe) and what I can expect from upgrading the 2" iirc exhaust too.
All I've come across is fears about sound levels, so I already know what to expect there; I'd like to know how the engine will react to the mod.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
With the larger exhaust you'll notice faster spool up of your turbo and a throatier sound to your car when you get on it in each gear.

I'm not sure how much of a power increase you'll see with going to a larger exhaust system...