Tuning...all these choices!

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, Custom - Funky Green. 99 NB TDI, 06 Jetta TDI
Ok, I've been looking all over this forum but haven't found much about the differences between Malone Stage 2 and Kerma tunes. Mostly, it's just people saying they like theirs, but no real comparisons.

So, I'm not asking which one is best... that seems to be the debate. I'm just wondering how does a person decide which one to go with? They're roughly the same power, people seem to be happy with both. The only potentially negative thing I read is that Kerma has some sort of shudder in top gear? I don't understand that, maybe I read it wrong.

If I'm not mistaken, the malone has to be shipped off to a shop but the kerma can be downloaded to a q-loader?

Any thoughts? I get my car "fixed" next week (emissions), and I'd like to immediately get a tune after that. I pull a small camper sometimes so the extra power would be appreciated. But also I'd like a little better power when I'm just commuting, and fuel economy increases are also fun.

My car is a 6 speed manual, stock motor otherwise.

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
What I did: contacted both and told them what I wanted out of my car and went with the one that was the most helpful and willing, not the salesman

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
I'd be willing to let the OP "try before you buy" to facilitate an informed decision.

Try ours, try theirs, pay for the one you want to keep.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Charlie, that is a very stand-up-guy thing to do; what does Owain think about your offer? ;)
Malone uses a Flashzilla IIRC, basically the same procedure for either shops' tune; upload your stock file and email it off and then a modified file will show up and that is the one you install to your ECU.

Last edited:

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd be willing to let the OP "try before you buy" to facilitate an informed decision.

Try ours, try theirs, pay for the one you want to keep.
I'm impressed that you'd be willing to let me test it. Let's do it.

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
KermaTDI has been awesome to work with so far...they're sending me a tune to test out, but from what I see so far of the guys that work there...stand up group. Very impressed.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Kerma uses the same tools as us, so the process is the same. We can email files as well and have more distributors.

I've dyno tested both files, but it'd be unprofessional for me to post that info publicly trying to persuade people to swap or falsely advertise a major difference between the two. Truth is we're both stuck working around EGT limiters and the differences aren't that massive between the files. We run a dynapack, which is what most of the higher end professional tuners use as it's far more accurate for development.

All Mark does is tuning, he doesn't deal directly with customers and we have someone dedicated to dealing with distributors as well. Mark literally does files all day for a variety of platforms. We tune all German diesels, regularly do big turbo files and are very familiar with these ECUs. Competitor has only a couple options.

Doing fine as it is, don't really need to entertain what "feels" better or start forum drama. Those that have been around awhile know the story. If you want to put both files on a dyno or plan on doing a turbo swap, let me know.

Last edited:

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
You're always welcome to try, have no problem refunding on products if people aren't happy with them. Just not willing to fight over a tune sale, we're doing fine as it is.

Last edited:

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't get the feeling that anyone was fighting over anything, or even making much of an argument about which tune is "better". Sounds like they're both pretty similar tunes. From what I've seen, Malone might be better for someone who is planning to make hardware changes to their car, and Kerma is better for people who want to keep their engine hardware closer to stock. You mentioned this being "a tune sale", but I guess I see it more like taking good care of people, and maybe that would turn into more than just a sale. I was pretty impressed that Kerma would send me one to just test out, and, assuming I love it, I'll probably tell everyone I know that has these cars about it.

Just my 2 cents, but IF I had been in your position (of course I'm not), I might have sent one to test also. I haven't seen any Malone/Kerma comparisons using the same car on this forum (maybe I missed it), but it could have been kind of a fun comparo. You know, apples to apples.

Or not.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I doubt Kermas tune is any better for stock cars. And probably not any worse.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jeff at Rocketchip is another great option.

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
I see your point on that. I phrased it incorrectly. Maybe I should have said Malone if you're planning to modify your hardware, or either of the companies if you're not.
Good catch.

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
You have to realize that its a business and if there is only a 50% chance of making a sale while still putting in the same effort that is losing money. Not that money is everything, but Kerma is already taking care of you and he even said the tunes are very similar. For you to just test it he would have to ship a tuner which another customer would not be able to use in the mean time and also pay for shipping on top of making your file. Just does not make a lot of sense for him to do that at this point. If Kerma was not offering a test the story may be different.

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
I respectfully disagree. I see it as taking care of customers, or saying you'll pass.
To pass is short-sighted...here's why. As my signature states, I currently own 2 JSW's and I've had TDI's since '04. Aren't I exactly the customer a tuning company would want? I might have the other JSW tuned after this one if I like it. Since Kerma jumped in and said they'd take care of me, I also ordered a six sigma shifter from them this morning. And my buddy has a '12 JSW that he's going to tune once he sees how I like mine. Basically has his wallet out, waiting on my impression.
Not only that, but Kerma going out of their way and taking a chance could potentially cement me as a die-hard Kerma fan. So, when I meet someone else with a TDI, guess who I'm going to refer?

But yeah...there's only a 50% chance of making a sale. (Where's that eye roll emoji when I need it?) I'm no mathematician, but what's Malone's chance of making a sale now?

But I guess I need to realize it's a business.

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
Kerma is cheaper and you've already ordered through them so that pretty well cements it. I offered, and would be more keen if you had VCDS and a dyno handy, but it sounds like you've already made your decision.

A personal preference opinion of the two files could go either way, and results in an opinion based forum thread that isn't backed with data. That's not really useful for consumers and there's plenty of word of mouth for both companies as it is. I agree it's a potential sale, but I'm not going to fight for it or make a stink on the forums. We've dealt with a lot of negativity from Kerma and I don't really want to feed into it. You're more than welcome to send me a pm or email if you're interested in software.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'll say that I'm very well pleased with my 200 hp stage 3.5 Malone tune, and will be a return customer when I toss on a gtb2056 or 2260.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
Aren't I exactly the customer a tuning company would want?
No, because you want to argue with the cashier about the product when there's people standing in line behind you, money in fist.

Additionally, you are not going to notice a difference between a Kerma and Malone tune, so the first reply in this thread was sufficient.

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
You know, this conversation ended pretty amicably until you chimed in.
Did I argue with someone? Did I keep other customers "with money in fist" from purchasing? Good lord.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
There is also Mike at TDTuning.com and he doesn't get a lot of press these days. He did my first tune 8 years ago, and did my current upgraded tune as well.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I'm building an alh 2.0 engine with a gtb2260 turbo set up. Aiming for 300hp. I'd like to know what tuners have the ability to make a tune or tunes for that set up?

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
Wow, that was a very long run with a lot of smoke, surprised it didn't hit an EGT limiter. I run these pretty frequently (albeit a 10-12 second run) and see probably a 1/4 of that. Usually have rear fans going though so it's dispersed quickly.

Since you're out in PA I'd get a hold of rocketchip, Jeff is local to you. I'd hope all the major tuners can work with a 2260 ALH, it's a fairly common setup, sure Jeff won't have a problem but know he's super busy.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, I was surprised by the amount of smoke as well. My egt sensors are swapped, so that's probably why it wasn't bouncing off the limiter. The golf was idling with the a.c. on for about an hour before the pull, so I'm thinking the intercooler may have been heat soaked. They have quite the heartbreaker mustang up there. Good for a baseline anyhow. Need to do some data logging and maybe a few quarter mile passes to see what's up.

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
Idling for awhile will definitely result in some nasty clouds. Can kind of build it up over the course of a tank too driving easy, have noticed headlights behind me getting a little dim on stock pre dpf cars before. Was running a kill-mode tune on the 335D the other night and after letting it idle for ~20 it violently shot about triple that amount 20ft, thought something was wrong with it at first. Made over 200lb-ft over stock with an exhaust and tune on the first run so can't complain :)