Trip from Wisconsin to Arizona suggestions

Couleetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI
/images/graemlins/cool.gif <font color="blue"> First, excuse me for requesting info, as it may be the wrong forum and I do not wish to irritate anyone. I'm looking at taking a two week vacation in February/March of 2004 to the Phoenix area, and combine it with work prospecting as well along the way. (The last of our jobs will be outsourced in May, amid all the lies to date, so.....gotta keep looking now that the shoulder is healing up good).
I've asked many folks around here for the best route that time of year, and have received little info. Snowbirds have already left... I'd like to drive, visit relatives in the Independence, MO area as well.
I live near Eau Claire, WI. and figured I go cross country to I-90, to Albert Lea, MN, hit I-35 to KC area, take I think Hwy 50 south of there to Hwy 54, and cross Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas and into New Mexico, then I'm not sure, I-40 or down to I-10. I've flown to visit relatives twice in AZ, but not much driving experience in the soutwest. I've ony been as far south as Branson, MO, so sort of dumb here.
Anyone from the Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico area have any good suggestions, as well as how long from say KC to Phoenix.
I might stop in and see if MaxThrust in Twoson has any lefse left over, which I sent him. Once again, apologies for posting this, and hope it doens't offend anyone.
Any ideas on preparing my 2003 Jetta TDI GL, other than the 10K service before I go, from any and all road veterans. Just not sure what to expect in the weather. Since I've lived in WI 52 years, I know what to expect here, just not anywhere else. Thanks much folks, you're a great bunch of people on this forum.
Couleekid</font>

NewJettaGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat Sedan
Couleekid, Here are driving directions according to AAA. Not having any addresses, the directions are from the city center. Hope they help:

From Eau Claire, Wisconsin; Stop at Independence, Missouri; Stop at Tucson, Arizona; To Phoenix, Arizona
Total Distance 2107.0 miles (3390.8km); Total Est. Time 31 hrs., 29mins.

Eau Claire, Wisconsin to Independence, Missouri; Distance: 519.4 miles (835.9 km)

1. Start out heading WEST on E MADISON STREET towards N BARSTOW STREET. Drive for 0.7 miles.
2. E MADISON STREET becomes CAMERON STREET. Drive for 1.2 miles.
3. Turn RIGHT onto N CLAIREMONT AVENUE. Drive for 1.6 miles.
4. Turn LEFT onto ramp. Drive for 0.2 miles.
5. Go STRAIGHT on US-12 W. Drive for 2.3 miles.
6. US-12 W becomes CR-EE W. Drive for 0.3 miles.
7. Take I-94 W towards ST PAUL. Drive for 68 miles.
8. Take exit towards I-494 S / I-694 N. Drive for 0.3 miles.
9. Keep SLIGHT LEFT at the fork towards ramp towards I-494 S. Drive for 0.3 miles.
10. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT to get on I-494 S. Drive for 12.2 miles.
11. Take exit towards I-35E / ST PAUL / ALBERT LEA. Drive for 0.3 miles.
12. Go STRAIGHT to get on I-35E S towards ALBERT LEA. Drive for 11.4 miles.
13. Take I-35 S. Drive for 219.7 miles.
14. Stay STRAIGHT on I-35 S heading towards I-35 S / I-80 W / KANSAS CITY / COUNCIL BLUFFS. Drive for 187.5 miles.
15. Take exit number 12A to get on I-435 S towards I-435 N / ST LOUIS. Drive for 7.9 miles.
16. Take exit number 60 towards 12TH ST / TRUMAN RD / MO-12 E. Drive for 0.1 miles.
7. Go STRAIGHT on E 12TH STREET. Drive for 0.2 miles.
18. Turn LEFT onto MO-12. Drive for 3.3 miles.
19. MO-12 becomes W TRUMAN ROAD. Drive for 0.6 miles.
20. Turn RIGHT onto N MAIN STREET.
21. Drive for a short distance to reach the stop-over.

Independence, Missouri to Tucson, Arizona Distance: 1473.7 miles (2371.6 km)

22. Start out heading NORTH on N MAIN STREET towards W TRUMAN ROAD. Drive for a short distance.
23. Turn LEFT onto W TRUMAN ROAD. Drive for 6.6 miles.
24. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT to get on I-70 W. Drive for 1.4 miles.
25. Keep SLIGHT LEFT at the fork towards I-70-ALT W. Drive for 3.9 miles.
26. I-70-ALT W becomes I-70 W. Drive for 508.9 miles.
27. Take exit number 359 towards LIMON. Drive for 0.2 miles.
28. Turn LEFT onto US-40. Drive for 0.4 miles.
29. Go STRAIGHT on US-24. Drive for 65.7 miles.
30. Take US-24 W towards S. POWERS BLVD / US-24 W / AIRPORT. Drive for 2.6 miles.
31. Keep RIGHT to stay on US-24 W. Drive for 4.1 miles.
32. Take exit . Drive for 0.2 miles.
33. Go STRAIGHT to get on I-25 S towards PUEBLO. Drive for 598.9 miles.
34. Take I-10 W towards I-10 W / US-180 W. Drive for 276.6 miles.
35. Take exit number 258 towards BROADWAY / CONGRESS ST. Drive for 0.2 miles.
36. Go STRAIGHT on S FREEWAY. Drive for 0.2 miles.
37. Turn RIGHT onto W ALAMEDA STREET.
38. Drive for 0.3 miles to reach the stop-over.

Tucson, Arizona to Phoenix, Arizona

Distance: 113.3 miles (182.3 km)
39. Start out heading WEST on W ALAMEDA STREET towards N MAIN AVENUE. Drive for 0.1 miles.
40. Turn LEFT onto N GRANADA AVENUE. Drive for 0.1 miles.
41. Turn RIGHT onto W CONGRESS STREET. Drive for 0.2 miles.
42. Turn RIGHT onto N FREEWAY. Drive for a short distance.
43. Go STRAIGHT to get on I-10 W towards PHOENIX. Drive for 108.3 miles.
44. Take exit number 150A to get on I-17 N towards FLAGSTAFF. Drive for 2.8 miles.
45. Take exit number 196 towards 7TH AVE. Drive for 0.2 miles.
46. Go STRAIGHT on W MARICOPA FREEWAY. Drive for a short distance.
47. Turn RIGHT onto S 7TH AVENUE.
48. Drive for 1.2 miles to reach the destination.

MaxThrust

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
Gee Coulee, I am 'almost' offended you didn't ask me for directions. I used to live in Eau Claire and have driven the route between there and Twosun, Phoenix, and Southern California very many times during different parts of the year. I have probably seen every sort of weather and driven every sort of vehicle on the trip. I have driven big trucks, motorcycles, passenger cars of all types, and even done it in a couple of different VW Diesels. I have taken many different routes and have a good idea of what to expect. Please keep in mind that any route I give you will probably have you coming by my house to pay you back for the best lefsa a guy ever ate.

You have my email so drop me a line and we will hook up on land lines. I can discuss in great detail the route, weather, and great places to stay and or eat on the way. The cool thing about that trip, you can do it in two days if you are motivated, however, you might find yourself ready to camp for the evening after one tankfull with these cars. I generally do the trip in two days, but have taken as many as five and as few as one very, very long day.

Let me know what you would like to do and I will even foot the bill for the phone call....Did I mention how good that lefsa was?

Mike /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Couleetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI
Thanks for the updates, for the southwest.
Hey MaxThrust, sorry about not asking, but lost my Outlook Express 6 address book due to a virus, and didn't have it, so I figured you'd read this online as well. Sucks being an IT person, and this happens to ya. Of Course, I've been so busy with fixing the water damage, I didn't update my virus checker, so it's my own fault.
Drop me your email address again. My home email is Glampman.wi@netzero.net, and phone number, I'll give ya a call sometime in January.
Glad you enjoyed the lefse. We had to freeze everything, to make the trip, so hope it didn't dry out too much.
Once I have the road map done, I'll request good fuel locations later on the way.

Happy New Year to Everyone.

Greg

MaxThrust

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
Greg,
You've got mail......

That is still the best damned lefsa I have ever had....

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
OK, I gotta ask - what's lefsa?

Do you want to do any sight seeing along the way? If so, I'd take 40 across, stop at meteor crater in northern AZ and take 17 south to Phoenix from Flagstaff. OTOH, check the weather. Flagstaff can create its own severe winter weather due to elevation and mountains.

Of course, you can also stop off in New Mexico at Carlsbad caverns and the Alamogordo museum by White Sands.

Lastly, the AAA plan has you driving 1400 miles from KC to Tucson in one day. I'd not do that one as it is just too long for one day. The last thing you need is to doze off while at speed on the freeway.

Have a safe trip!

MaxThrust

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
[ QUOTE ]
OK, I gotta ask - what's lesfe?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a Norwegian flat bread which is very much like a tortilla, except the dough is made with potatoes instead of flour or corn base. It is very good cold with just plain butter, but you can stuff about anything in the pie shaped pieces, same as with a tortilla...only better, because I grew up on the stuff.... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I would tend to stay away from the North end of AZ and anything farther north. The northern portion of NM and most of CO can be treacherous with nary a warning. Alamogordo is a nice thought though. When driving from WI to AZ in the winter I always went straight down I35 and cut across on I10 to avoid the weather. You will still get some, but not like in the mountains. During the summer months, or monsoon season, I always take I25 up to northern tip of CO and then cut over through NE, IA, and MN. (Avoid buying fuel in NE, especially Kearney, they really gouge you in that state. It cost me just shy of $70 to fill the 'Gator this past summer. If taking that route, fill up in Council Bluffs, IA on the East side of the state and Longmont or Loveland, CO on the western side of the state. The TDI will cover the distance at 85mph with plenty of fuel to spare.)

Try and plan your trip stops to coincide with interesting places to visit if you are not in a hurry. I am usually in such a hurry that I bark orders to the girls stating they get no more than 5 minutes at the rest stop or I will leave them in NE. I actually pack pop and sandwiches in a cooler and plan to stop each 200 miles for a quick break and reload the snacks. On the third stop I buy fuel whether or not I need any. I usually cover about 1000 miles per day this way, making the trip in short order. I am however, a comparative youngster (40) and love to drive. I am the last one asleep and the first one to rise on road trips...and can't wait to get going because I love to drive so much, especially the Jetta. If I get tired, I have my wife drive one leg, that is usually enough to wake me up again. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

So, I recommend the southern route due to weather. If time is not an issue, certainly stop at some places and enjoy the great attractions of this country. There are plenty of interesting sites along the way...except in NE. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Which you wouldn't be anywhere near taking the southern route.

progolfer_20

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sedan
I'd watch the weather and make up your mind at the last minute, I have driven from St. Louis straight across Kansas then into Denver and down to Sante Fe. I would never never again drive across Kansas, that is the most boring state I have ever been in. There is nothing but corn, cows and power lines. No offense to anybody from there. I have just driven up I-35 from OK too and that was just as bad. Once you get into New Mexico and Arizona the roads are fun to drive. They are right about northern arizona, it doesnt really happen that often but they can get big snow storms, the drive from Flagstaff to Phoenix is one hell of a fun drive. Lots of windy roads to drive at 100 mph! Get a radar detector.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
[ QUOTE ]
Greg,
You've got mail......

That is still the best damned lefsa I have ever had....

[/ QUOTE ]

If you need more let me know. It cheap here $1.49 for about a pound of it. Shipping packed on some dry ice would'nt be too bad. All the stores sell it here. As well as the lutifisk.

One of the "regional" thing you don't see in Chicago.

Couleetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI
/images/graemlins/wink.gif <font color="blue">Thanks for all the ideas, and I guess like Wisconsin, it depends on the weather alot too. WHen you aint been out west, in 40 years (I as 12 at the time), you gotta ask questions. We will probably see some sights on the way out, maybe take one route down and another back. I appreciate the heads up on fuels, Nebraska, etc. from everyone. I love driving the Jetta, so the wifes minivan will stay at home.
As for lefse, guess we'll have to make some more, so MaxThrust will let me in his door to visit. We don't buy it, we make it, usually 250 circles a year. A circle is about 16" across, then you cut into four pie shaped pieces. Maybe make one into a burrito or something.
Gottta love them Packers.</font>

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
GAAAAGGGGGG.........BLeeeeeeecH........GGGAAAAAAKKKKKKK...the sound of the Viqueens CHOKING again. Go Pack /images/graemlins/grin.gif My only advice for that roadie is to stuff enough Wisconsin Beer in that sucker to last until the end of the return journey /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I can't tell you which is the most picturesque route, only the shortest:
Eau Claire to Des Moines by whatever is the best route for you.
Des Moines to Kansas City via I-35
KC to Wichita via 35, which turns into the Kansas Turnpike (about $3)
West of Wichita on US 54, through Liberal Kansas, across the Oklahoma and Texas panhandles to Tucumcari, New Mexico. (Watch out in Kansas, speed limit on 54 is only 65 mph)
Tucumcari NM to Flagstaff AZ on I-40, then south on I-17 to Phoenix and Tucson.

There might be a slightly shorter route, but then you're running on less-traveled highways or county roads.

This would be my "winter route" and I might consider a different route in the summer. But then, who would drive to Tucson in the summer?

If you fill up in Eau Claire, you'll probably have to top up in Kansas and then again somewhere around Gallup, NM.

MaxThrust

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> If you fill up in Eau Claire, you'll probably have to top up in Kansas and then again somewhere around Gallup, NM. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I drove from beautiful down-town Camp Pendleton to La Crosse, WI back in about 87-88 in my VW Rabbit Diesel Pickup Truck. I filled up before leaving, put a few dollars in at PHX because I stayed overnight before heading to WI. I am not sure where I filled up next, but I think it may have been Tucumcari...I then headed up the route you mention, passed through Liberal and Hooker in KS /images/graemlins/blush.gif and filled up in Des Moines, IA. I arrived in LSE and drove around for a couple of weeks before fueling up again.....gotta love those Diesels with 15 gallon tanks.

Speaking of which, I just reloaded Winders on this computer, I better reinstall my mapping program so I will be able to give Coulee good directions.....not that the map will help me any.

Couleetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI
/images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif <font color="red"> I thought the beer thing was a given. I've paid for more vacations by selling Wisconsin beer at waysides, truckstops and restareas, figured I'd do it again. While I don't drink Leinenkugels, many others do around the country. It's sort of like what Coors used to be, years ago. Not sure if Maxthrust would appreciate a cold Wisconsin beer or not? But there will be some available. Of course, now running a diesel, I won't have to haul so much. </font>

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
My two cents worth.

Whicita KS is a good place to stay. I always try to stay at the Super 8 next to Raytheon Aircraft (airport). It is a clean well to do town with plenty of places to eat and the Super 8 was almost brand new. From Wichita KS I suggest heading to Oklahoma City and across the Texas panhandle. I stayed in Tucumcari NM (home of the rattlers)at the new Hampton INN and I suggest the Branding Iron restaurant (located in Holiday Inn). It is a small but charming farm town. Really similiar to most of Wisconsin.

Flagstaff AZ is usually my next stop and one of my favorite towns. It is like Madison Wis or IA City, IA in the mountains. Cool town with lots of hospitals, tourists, outdoor activities and of course NAU University. The downtown is pretty cool and I like to eat either at the Branding Iron or at one of the Thai restaurants.

Head South though Oak Creek Canyon and spend some time in Sedona AZ (beautiful!!!). Drive Oak Creek Canyon from Flag down to Sedona. It is a neat drive. Take some cash because Sedona is somewhat pricey. Senator John McCain owns two really nice home there.

From from Sedona you can drive out to the Interstate and down to Phoenix etc. If you do not spend time in Flagstaff or Sedona you are wasting the trip. I can reccomend several places to stay and to eat if you would like. I travel by stomach.

Stay away from Northern AZ, Utah, New Mexico. They get snow and cold weather. Great if you ski or if you are looking for seclusion.

progolfer_20

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sedan
In arizona if you have the time, drive south from flagstaff to sedona through the oak creek canyon then onto cottonwood then to jerome and down to prescott. That drive is good too, there is alot to see around in sedona, jerome is kind of a artist town with alot of shops and so is prescott (thats where I used to goto college). Prescott has quite a bit to see and do around there. You can always make a day trip from phoenix to prescott, the drive only takes 1hr 15 mins.

PS Have fun driving though kansas, epecially south through oklahoma, most boring place in the whole country, nothing to see and nothing to do.

Tor Diesel

TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, green
Take 54 all the way to El Paso Tx and then catch I-10 into Phoenix. I-40 is not all that good of a route as I've taken it a couple of times. No major cities from Albuqurque into AZ. I-10 from TX to Phoenix has some nice scenic rock formations and you can stop in Las Cruces NM or Tucson AZ for fuel and food.

NussWag

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL, Reflex Silver
Obviously you already have some good info on this. I recently moved to Madison, WI and my parents live near Witchita, KS while I have a sister in Phoenix, so it's kinda funny that you've asked this question.

If I were you I'd do it in 3 days.
Day 1: Wisconsin -> Wichita, KS (~710 miles) and a flat-out wide open run at about 80-85 mph. You can easily do it in 12 hours assuming a couple of potty breaks.

Day 2: Wichita -> Albuquerque (less than 700 miles) This is the next best stop purely because you can find decent hotels.

Day 3: Albuquerque -> Phoenix (~460 miles) Provided weather isn't bad in Flagstaff you should arrive nice and refreshed.

As far as sight-seeing is concerned, I've always enjoyed the drive from Albuquerque to Phoenix.

By the way, I take issue with whomever said that Kansas was full of corn! It's wheat man! /images/graemlins/grin.gif There's very little corn grown in Kansas. Nebraska, Iowa, and Illinois all have A LOT of corn! Besides, this isn't the prettiest time of the year to drive anywhere.

BatmanMN_M

Veteran Member
TDI
gls 2003 black
aaahhhh lefsa is the shxt, i used to live in minnesota and i do miss that on the holidays, just butter and sugar rolled up, what a great snack/meal haha
and it looks like you have all hte info you need for the driving directions, i just had to write after seein lefsa, aaagghhhh so good, i really do miss it (my grandma made the best i swear, but so does everyones grandmas)

progolfer_20

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sedan
If you do take I-10, there are no major stops along the way from San Antontio to El Paso, and then from El Paso to Tuscon. There are a few truck stops along the way, if you see a place to stop and get some food you better do it because the next stop could be 2 more hours down the road, that happened to me. Oh, and be prepared for the illegal immigrant check points. There is one cool place to see in New Mexico right off of I-10, its called THE THING, its some kind of mummy.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I just returned from a San Diego-to Iowa-and back road trip. I may write about some observations in the Road Trips forum

I have made this trip many times, sometimes I-15 to Utah, then east on 70 to Denver, I-80 to Omaha, etc. But in the winter I prefer not to risk the mountain driving.

From San Diego to Flagstaff, it is the same distance whether you go through San Bernardino or you go through Phoenix. And just as hot in the summer. I think I prefer the scenery on I-17 north of Phoenix, but I-40 west of Flagstaff is nice, too.

I am getting tired of taking US 54 from Tucumcari to Wichita. It's about 80-100 miles shorter than going through Oklahoma City, but those damn little towns all look the same and after you've seen each one ten times, well... And the speed limit is 65, and I got nailed on this trip (83 in a 65). So that might have something to do with my current unhappiness with that route.

Wichita to Des Moine (or Eau Claire) is a no-brainer. Diesel is cheaper in Missouri, so I suggest topping up there whether you need to or not. Also, diesel is cheaper in New Mexico than Arizona or California.

Regarding the alternate suggested routes, south to I-10 via either I-35 or US 54... they both look to be much longer. Going to Phoenix or Tucson by going to El Paso first... it just doesn't make sense. Driving across Texas is BORING, and spending any additional time on the 65 mph US 54, when you don't save time or miles, well, I wouldn't do it.

gredi

Veteran Member
I try to go thru Amarillo when I go to Colorado because of the fuel prices. May be the cheapest along your trip.

Staying south might be the best idea for winter weather avoidance purposes. However, don't be surprised if the roads get closed due to blowing dust. West Texas and southern NM have been very dry for the last few years and dust is becoming more of a problem than in the past. If possible, keep this in mind when planning your route. Blowing dust not only is dangerous due to reduced visibility but, it blocks the scenery as well.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Well if you ever plan to motor west
Travel my way, take the highway that’s the best

Get your kicks on route 66

Well it winds from chicago to L.A.
More than two thousand miles all the way

Well it goes to st. louis, down to missouri
Oklahoma city looks oh, so pretty
You’ll see Amarillo, Gallup, New Mexico
Flagstaff, Arizona, don’t forget Wynonna
Kingman, Barstow, San Bernardino
If you get hip to this kind of trip
I think I’ll take that California trip
/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Boobiwan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS Reflex Silver
Hey Couleekid,

Good luck on your voyage. I really envy your decision to look for something in Arizona. Wish I could make the break...specially on a day like this. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

VDubVerruckt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL, Reflex Silver
I moved from Madison to Phoenix 4 years ago and shortly moved back. Call me crazy, but I like having 4 seasons. I've come to realize I'm a diehard mid-westerner.

When I drove there, I went through St. Louis, Oklahoma City, got a hotel in Amarillo and drove the rest of the way the next morning. I think I enjoyed driving through New Mexico and northern Arizona the most. I lived in Ahwatukee... a little south of Phoenix and west of Chandler. Phoenix was a great place to live, but I just missed spring and winter too much to make it my permanent home. I'm happy being back in Madison and don't plan on moving anyway outside the area. A good friend of mine lives in Chandler, so I always have a place to stay if I want to visit. =)