2006 TDI Jetta Engine Growl Loss of Power

Kurt13rager

TDI
01 Jetta
I have a 2006 TDI manual transmission with 188xxx miles on it. Last weekend I started noticing a slight growl/rumble coming from the drivers side of my engine upon accelerating up a hill. This noise did not happen all the time, only under load. This week and roughly 300+ miles, the car growls upon accelerating anytime I am about 1k RPM and above, both in any gear and in neutral and there is a significant loss of power. My engine does not appear to be using any additional oil at this point.

I have the following CEL codes:

P2413
P0101
P2195
P0122
The growling almost resembles the sound of a Subaru WRX with exhaust.

The timing belt and water pump were changed about 10k miles ago.

Any ideas as to what this could be? Any help is greatly appreciated. This is my daily driver.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
If it is cam shaft related the pulsing should be in the intake because the lifter is worn concave and the injector lobe holds the intake lifter open. Is that exhaust pulse noise coming through the intake.

Kurt13rager

TDI
01 Jetta
Thanks for the help so far! It most definitely was the cam. It holed 3 of the 8 lifters. Valves were all good. I installed the new cam and lifters and broke it in just fine. Unfortunately, I didnt take great photos of all the vacuum lines in which I had removed but feel pretty confident I had reinstalled them properly after utilizing the diagram under the hood.
Upon test driving, the car operated ok, not great, for a few minutes until it goes into limp mode. Unfortunately my cheap VAG cable is not working and I'm sure the timing is slightly off due to the removal of the cam sprocket during cam install. My question is. Would the timing being off throw it into limp mode? I'm fairly certain it is limp mode as you can feel it go in after the first few minutes as well as accompanied lack of power.

Almost there and any additional help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Kurt13rager

TDI
01 Jetta
After further reading, the BRM motor shall adjust itself regarding injection timing.
I've unplugged the MAF sensor and ran the car and to avail, the limp mode still kicked in after attempting to apply any load on the engine. So this wasnt necessarily the issue.

Kurt13rager

TDI
01 Jetta
Ok....well I ordered a new HEX V2 from Ross Tech which will be here tomorrow. I remember when this forum used to be helpful. I suppose those days are long forgotten.

Kurt13rager

TDI
01 Jetta
So my HEX V2 arrived and is showing me a P0299 code. I suppose my next step will be to buy a MityVac to see what vacuum levels I'm seeing at the actuator and N75.

Does anyone have any input as to what readings I should be seeing at these two devices at idle? Or does anyone know of any additional ways to troubleshoot this?

I did not have any turbo issues prior to pulling the vac lines off while troubleshooting my cam issue.

Kurt13rager

TDI
01 Jetta
After further review, I've found that my lower intercooler hose was not clipped together properly. I smelled it back together and instantly had boost once again.