View Single Post
Old October 23rd, 2019, 09:52   #4
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I have been using Pentosin FFL2 since the DSG came out in 2004, never been an issue... and it seems to look, smell, and feel just like the original stuff to me. It certainly isn't like any "other" fluid (you could not possibly mistake it for anything else).

We sell BG stuff here, but not that. There are some generic fluids out there that claim to be for everything, but end up being for nothing. If you really wanted to know the chemistry of the DSG's fluid, it is likely somewhat unique, since it has to be a gear oil (chunky metal gears with synchronizers), a hydraulic fluid (for the pump and controls and passages in the M-unit), and a wet clutch friendly fluid. And it has to be able to do all of this over a wide temp range. And not all dual-clutch type automatics even use wet clutches (like Fords, that use dry clutches).

Personally I find it to be a dishonest thing to bring your VOLKSWAGEN to the VOLKSWAGEN DEALER and have them use anything at all that is not genuine VOLKSWAGEN unless they offer it ahead of time for a lesser price. In which case, the customer can decide if they want to.

Chances are if BG has a specific fluid for dual clutch transmissions, it is probably fine. But I still would be pissed to learn of this after the fact, especially when they probably charged you dearly for it considering it most likely cost them a fifth of the OEM fluid.

Page generated in 0.06814 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 16.13 Kb. compressed to 14.55 Kb. by saving 1.59 Kb. (9.84%)]