Braided Steel Turbo Oil Feed Line?

SilveR316

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf 1.9L TDI
I remember reading a few years back these flexible oil feed lines are "bad" for your engine.

Is this actually the case? Are there any downsides to using the flexible line? Can someone that has run this line chirp in?

I'm thinking about replacing my old oil feed line with this one when I do my turbo swap, and it seems a hell of a lot easier to hook up the flexible line instead of the crazy bent stiff line.

Also, who sells them? Is KermaTDI the only place?

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Any half decent hydraulic shop can make what you need. I'd offer to ship you one but shipping will probably cost more than the line.

You need;
M10x1 to 1/4" MJIC adpater
M12x1.5 to 1/4" MJIC adapter
90* 1/4" FJIC to MJIC elbow
45* 1/4" FJIC to MJIC elbow
30" long 1/4" braided stainless hose with straight 1/4" FJIC ends

1/4" JIC is also known as -4AN in the industry. Depends on who you talk to and what line of work they mainly cater to.

Last edited:

SilveR316

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf 1.9L TDI
I'd love to make one if I had the abilities to do so, but unless someone has detailed instructions I don't really see it happening. I don't mind paying for it if its more convenient that way.

Whitbread, would you be willing to sell one to me?

Whitbread

TDI
Several
I'd love to make one if I had the abilities to do so, but unless someone has detailed instructions I don't really see it happening. I don't mind paying for it if its more convenient that way.

Whitbread, would you be willing to sell one to me?
Write down the shopping list I gave you and go to any hydraulic shop. They will know what everything is. Look up a Parker, Eaton, or Aeroquip distributor near you.

I can't sell any for a while as I'm in detroit during the week and only back in ohio on weekends when my local hydraulic shop isn't open.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
You can generally get the fittings either in crimp-on (requires a hydraulic crimper to put the ends on, and they're one-time use) or re-usable two (or sometimes three) piece fittings.

I used to make up my own lines all the time for my boat; it's not difficult at all. Small-diameter fittings generally do not require a a mandrel for assembly.

Last edited:

dsljetpak

TDI
03 Alh Jetta
Yo, sorry to bump an old thread. But, Whitbread's advise is bang on. I took all the sizes down to my buddy who understands fitting gibberish and he was able to make me up exaclty what I need. Getting rid of the banjo bolt and the stupid fitting on the turbo. Now the oil line can easily messed with if need be. Thanks a bunch! PS: Make friends with a kid who works at a hose shop. I got mine for 14 bucks!

Sc0

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf GL 5sp Candy White Tan cloth interior
Bought one from Kerma some years back, no issues... Bought it as a replacement since my old fitting was seized on the turbo and kinked/snapped the hardline when I tried to loosen it.

nathan_b

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 alh jetta/ 2002 alh jetta
if you remove some coolant lines you can get the turbo out with the oil line on it, thats what I do rather than break it, its worth $80 or so for a few minutes out of your way.

nh nam vet

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 97 Passats , 02 Jetta
With 275,000 miles on my 1997 (10/96 production decal) 1Z TDI Passat, I had an ever increasing oil drip coming from the turbo. I took the easy way out and replaced the turbo oil return line (with the new block adapter) but still had a bad leak. I checked the web on replacing the only remaining suspect: the turbo oil supply line.

Paramedick’s 2/16/09 post http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=239382 on how to replace the exhaust manifold gasket was the way I went. I stopped after removing the EGR cooler since there is no need to pull the intake manifold: the turbo input supply line is clearly exposed.

However, if you have never yanked your intake manifold, now would be the time to perform this huge performance improvement. That was probably the messiest job I’ve done on this VW but had the biggest payback, I thought I had a new engine.

When I had previously cleaned the intake manifold I removed all of the OEM spring clamp hoses and replaced them with 5/16” head stainless steel worm drive clamps. It is so easy now to pull hoses. Other hints to make this job easier and reduce confusion: write down each removal step numerically on paper, wrap a band of masking tape around each hose/pipe/vacuum line/electrical plug removed and write with a Sharpie on the masking tape the number of that step, use Ziplock bags to hold smaller parts and include in the bag a piece of paper identifying the contents.

Since it was such a PITA to remove the original hard line, I wound up cutting it up to get it out. Also remember to remove the dipstick and the crankcase to CCV breather hose (2 x 6mm Allen). This will make more room for the new hose (hard or flexible) installation.

I decided to go with a flexible turbo oil supply line and used Whitbread’s 10/20/12 post http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4119389 on what to get. The oil supply comes off of the aluminum oil filter housing and is a M12 x 1.5 female hole. The steel turbocharger destination is a M10 x 1.0 hole. I wasn’t successful in finding anyone local to put a hose together, so I compiled a list of parts:
Oil supply line, Turbocharger, braided steel -4 AN 36”, Turbonetics 10724
Metric adapter male 12mm x 1.5 to male -4 AN, Russell 670440
Metric adapter male 10mm x 1.0 to male -4 AN, Russell 670500
Coupler fitting, 90 degrees -4 AN to male -4 AN, Russell 614804
Coupler fitting, 45 degrees -4 AN to male -4 AN Russell 614704
Also needed: a 10 mm and 12mm crush washer for the metric adapters into the turbo and oil filter housing. I got all of the above from Summit Racing Equipment. They ship faster than anyone. My cost was just under $100, almost what vendors get for hard steel lines. I also cleaned both of the metric holes with Q-tips and alcohol and used Permatex High Temperature Thread Sealant PX# 59214 on the metric adapters for leak-free peace of mind (IT WORKED!!). Thanks again to Paramedick, Whitbread and all TDIclub members for sharing their knowledge.

A5INKY

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6

nh nam vet

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 97 Passats , 02 Jetta
Thanks A5INKY, I did find the darksidedevelopments turbo oil supply on a GOOGLE search but anticipated mucho dinero on shipping, thus went do it yourself. I anticipate older TDI's will need this fix in the near future. JESUS, I LOVE MY TDI!!!

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Shipping is quite cheap if you are not in a rush and reasonable if you are, you can always check before paying too :)

Yes i wont enjoy the afterlife :b haha

Kruso

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV Jetta TDI Red, MKIV Jetta TDI Green, MKV Jetta TDI Silver DSG.
Thanks Whitebread, kept me having to bust out my micrometer!

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Any of you guys running some sort of restrictor? I recall hearing stories, that you'd blow your turbo's seals out, if you didn't use one.

I'm seeing over 80psi with a cold engine and 70°F ambient temperature. I made a line cheaply, just wondering if it's something I should address or if it's nothing to worry about. The line has been on there for months with no issue.

-Todd

foxtrot

TDI
1998 vw jetta
Does the M10x1 to 1/4" MJIC adpater screw into the top of the turbo?

I'm mostly just curious about any oil restriction problems. Do you take out the stock oil restrictor then put the M10x1 to 1/4" MJIC adpater in its place? Anyone ever have problems with too much oil pressure etc?

A5INKY

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Does the M10x1 to 1/4" MJIC adpater screw into the top of the turbo?

I'm mostly just curious about any oil restriction problems. Do you take out the stock oil restrictor then put the M10x1 to 1/4" MJIC adpater in its place? Anyone ever have problems with too much oil pressure etc?
Yes, bolts right in once you remove the OE fitting from the center section. There is no restrictor in the OE line, that fitting left after the line is removed is just an adaptor, flex line doesn't need one either. Any needed restrictor is in the center section already.

86turbodsl

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf GLS TDI (retired), 04 A4Q (swap candidate)
FWIW,

I rolled my own braided stainless line for my PD and with purchasing new parts and shipping, it wasn't much cheaper than a new factory line.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
FWIW,

I rolled my own braided stainless line for my PD and with purchasing new parts and shipping, it wasn't much cheaper than a new factory line.
Price isn't the only reason to do it (nonstandard turbo, location, hardware, etc.)

And, it's nice to only have to pay it once.;)

Kristofk

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI
http://hoserevolution.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138&products_id=285

I put this hose on three cars this year. No leaks yet.
It's only $12.60
Awesome! Thank you. Did you also buy the fittings?

For example, they are stating people who bought that oil line also bought this:
http://hoserevolution.com/index.php...ducts_id=154&zenid=h72hfvehk3id1471gul44nfjh5

And where can I get the copper washers?

edit: found them on same site, what size washers do I need?

Last edited:

Dorkage

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Wagon TDI, 2004 Golf R32
The line is a stock replacement, only needs the washers. Not sure the size of the washers, whatever the size of the banjo bolt is on the oil filter housing. I couldn't find the washer for the turbo so we just heated the copper washer and quenched it and it sealed ok. I think.

Kristofk

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI
The line is a stock replacement, only needs the washers. Not sure the size of the washers, whatever the size of the banjo bolt is on the oil filter housing. I couldn't find the washer for the turbo so we just heated the copper washer and quenched it and it sealed ok. I think.

Hmm...might want to check that out?

Dorkage

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Wagon TDI, 2004 Golf R32
Should be ok, I was told Copper doesn't get brittle when heated and cooled like ferrous metals do, and should be soft again after the quenching.