MN Chat Thread

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Gents, any of you run some kind of CCV filter? Home made or not.. Had to take off the intake plumbing I installed last fall when I was adjusting IP timing, and found the whole inside coated with oil.
Back in the old days before ultra-low-sulfur diesel (ULSD), this oil when mixed with soot would cause an accumulation of crud which sometimes blocked the intake completely.

But with ULSD this problem has largely disappeared; or at any rate, the amount of clogging that used to happen in 40k-60k miles now takes 150k-200k miles.

The oil itself comes either from the crankcase ventilation system or the turbocharger, and there have been debates between TDI gurus about which source is the greater. But the oil itself is harmless, as long as not too much of it accumulates in the intercooler. An occasional WOT on a freeway onramp, once or twice a week, will blow out any oil that settles in the intercooler.

I have a CCV filter, an Old Navy CCV filter, which I obtained and installed many years ago. I don't know that it does any good, nor any harm either, so I leave it there and mostly ignore it. Until I see a post in this thread, which reminds me that I ought to replace the filter. (I cut my own out of a floor polishing pad, I paid $3 each for a couple of these circa 2005.)

I would advise against spending any money to fix a problem that doesn't really exist. A little oil blowing through your intake system doesn't hurt a thing.

teufelhunden

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Jetta TDI
Thanks all.. this is exactly the kind of input I am looking for. I can certainly understand that more so in a diesel, some oil in the intake can be okay, but how much is too much. I haven't had to clean out the intake for the past 70k since removing the egr cooler and shaving the diaphragm from the housing. So soot/oil buildup is less of an issue. Also I spend at least some time at WOT every time I drive the car, so pooling in the intercooler shouldn't be an issue either. With that I'm more apt to leave things as they are.. In curiosity though, why does this appear unique to TDI's? I also have a 94 chevy 6.5 diesel with about 250k, and have had absolutely no issue with oil saturating the intake plumbing. This ran for a long long time prior to the low sulfur fuel mandate. Perhaps related to the difference in crank case pressure? Not sure but I can say for certain in that design it's a non-issue.

prabbit

TDI
2012 Golf
And a further follow up about Holiday Station Stores diesel fuel and specifically about a store near me. Store #335 is at 35W & Industrial Blvd.
Holiday Station Stores Customer Support said:
Diesel cetane is 42-43. We purchase our diesel product from Flint Hills Resources. They use Canadian or domestic crude to produce our diesel product. We have just switched this past week from winter diesel additive to summer diesel additive. We have not used #1 winter diesel for several months. Our location #335 is a very busy diesel store with a 12,000 gallon diesel tank that is “turned” every 3 days. We have a 20,000 gallon Unleaded Regular tank that is turned every 2.5 days.

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
I might have to give that station a go next time around. It's only couple miles from work (University/280) and if they're turning it that often (UPS, Boyer Trucks and other truck dependent businesses in the area), that's about as fresh as it gets.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Looks like my GDE (Green Diesel Engineering) flasher for the Jeep too.

They all looks the same as dealer or none dealer loader, just different programing. Also Mark is able to tune diesel Jeep's same as our TDI's.

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5. Red, 5 Spd
Nick,

I have a VNT-15 from when I upgraded to the 17/22. It had approximately 135K miles on it when I replaced it.

Nothing was wrong with it prior to the replacement.

Is this for your car or one that you're working on?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Has anyone used Diesel and Import?

I contacted them about setting up some R520's on my VE nozzles, they want $100 for setup and setting of the primary opening pressures. Not the secondary.

Does anyone have experience or know if that would be ok?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Has anyone used Diesel and Import?

I contacted them about setting up some R520's on my VE nozzles, they want $100 for setup and setting of the primary opening pressures. Not the secondary.

Does anyone have experience or know if that would be ok?
Based on their website and on Google reviews, the shop looks very promising. The website does not mention whether it's an authorized Bosch Service Center (diesel), but Google says it is, and Bosch says it is.
http://www.boschservice.com/FindSvcCenter/Pages/FindingaServiceCenter.aspx#

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Thanks for the info Jerry.
None of those say anything specifically about TDI injectors(Reviews and whatnot) or even race nozzles, which are what I'm interested in.

I'd imagine that not everyone is sending their stuff to Frank or DBW?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Another place I have an e-mail out to: http://www.dzldoc.com/index.html

Neither of those places would touch PD injectors when I inquired about those before. I'd imagine that VE injectors shouldn't be such an issue.

Update - these guys won't do them.

Last edited:

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
Good morning everyone! Just thought let you guys all know sometime next week I will a Malone Tuning DSG tool and will be able perform DSG tunes.

If anyone interested in having their DSG tuned feel free to contact me via email or phone/text and we can setup time where and when can have it done. For those that don't know what are benifits of having their DSG tuned follow this thread for all your answers http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=334467

Thank you!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here's a general question: if someone already has a Malone tune, installed many years ago, and is happy with how the car is running, does he or she ever need an update or retune? Like a new operating system on a computer that is running just fine?

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
Here's a general question: if someone already has a Malone tune, installed many years ago, and is happy with how the car is running, does he or she ever need an update or retune? Like a new operating system on a computer that is running just fine?
Thats good question, I will have to ask Mark on that. I think it woul be good idea to do some logs of your vehicle and email to Mark along with your ECU file so he can analyze your logs and see what he can fine tune. Im sure lot of things are changed in his tuning ways since your vehicle was tuned and now.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Its more like a service pack, like Losha said, take a couple logs, pull the file, and Mark will update it and load it back on.

Call me if you have more questions or want to get it updated. We could do away with that boost valve pretty quickly.

Jon

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
I have a car here from Tamp, FL that died in WI on 94. They had it towed here. They are in town for a wedding.

I looked at it and the fuel pump appears to be bad based on my observations and what he told me a little history of it. VagCom shows the Start Deviation code. I can't get it started no matter what so I can't check timing or IQ.

In his urgency situation, he doesn't want to drop $1400 for a rebuild pump. So he wants to know if anyone knows where to get another one that is good at this hour. Car is a 2000 Jetta 5 speed.

Thanks.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Progress on my coolant leak: took out the Frost Heater and put the oem hose back on, sprayed the engine and all the hoses with that green cleaner, then pressure washed the whole engine compartment, next day I had to stop and add coolant on the way to work and yup over there by the power brake booster and down on the transmission below it there is coolant, added coolant and left the cap loose on the expansion tank, didn't loose more coolant and that night I could see the dried coolant on the hose that goes from the head to the heater core (used to go to EGR cooler), the hose looked fine but as always checking the back side there was a groove in the hose where it had been rubbing on a brake line. So Tuesday I will have a new hose and maybe the problem solved.

For sure there is not any evidence of leak on the front side of the engine now.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Need 96 passat front spindle

Hi guys,

I am going to need to replace the front, passenger side spindle (hub carrier?) on my 96 b4v.

I was hoping someone might know of a local junkyard that would be likely to have the part and possibly have the tools and knowledge to help me do the job (Let me know how much you would want for your help).

Basically I had a torn inner cv and a grinding noise. Someone helped me replace the axle assuming the cv was the source of the noise. It turned out to be the bearing but in replacing that the machine shop found the (carrier, spindle, whatever) that the bearing is in to have a chunk broken out of it. They polished it up and pressed the new bearing in but we knew it might not last. The noise is back so I'm assuming replacing the spindle is probably the cheapest/easiest fix.

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Scott

armstrong_sj@yahoo.com

Thanks